Rushed the bullet guide

I got a saiga chambered in .223.. So I need to install a bullet guide... I messed up pretty bad in the beginning.. I went to fast tapping the trunion and the tap broke and come to find out my drill bit slid a little bit when i drilled my hole.. It was a huge mess but after I took a sept back and drank a beer I went at it like a mad man (witch I was). I ended up breaking 2 drill bits and bent my punch.. Thankfully I was able to pop it thru and still save some of my threads.. I was able to save the tap too thanks to a bench grinder... Now on to my next problem witch was the hole not being perfect.. I had to do shit ton of grinding to the bullet guide but I was able to get it right.. About to put the lock tight on and let it ride... I'm gonna chalk this up to a learning experience.. If I can give any advice to help its if you think you going slow enough.... GO SLOWER.!!

• Like 2

I haven't done one as of yet but it seems a lot of people, even experienced ones, have trouble with installing bullet guides. I'm thinking one of the best tips is to drill the hole slightly oversize and use a quality tap. And like you said, don't get in a hurry.

Greg from CSS has a video - he makes it look like child's play. I guess if you've done it 2000 times it finally gets easy. Any drilling into Russian steel has been a cluster fuck for me. My drill bit kept wandering when I had to drill the two holes for the triggerguard on the S308. I ended up with two slightly oversided oval shaped holes. You can't tell with the triggerguard installed - I feel your pain. But one thing that has helped me on my last conversion (a 223 like yours) was to use cutting oil and set your hand drill to a low speed - you get more torque and control that way. It also helps to use a centerpunch to make a guide hole for your drillbit (but you can still wander if you don't go slow like you said).

• Like 1

Shootsmuch... I agree... But for the first time modifying any type of firearm I'd like to think that it didn't go as bad as it could have.. It still works just fine with the 50 test rounds I put thru it and I didn't notice any difference in the action..

Tooley,

Don't sweat: there is a wealth of useful advises and information on this forum.

What's done is done and it's all about recovery now.

So, stick to your Saiga build and keep posting on progress.

If everyone was genius, and every project was easy and flawless, there would be no need for this Forum,

Good Luck,

Happy Shooting.

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • Like 3

Both of mine were cake . I use a automatic center punch to put a dimple in the spot that I want to drill,this keeps the drill bit from wandering . I bought the kit from Dinzag with the correct drill bit and tap .

I used a cheap Black and decker cordless drill to both of mine,and the trick is to take no more than 1/4 of a turn with the tap before reversing the tap and breaking the chips. Use plenty of cutting oil,if cutting oil is not around use any oil you have around but go slow ,even going extra slow the job only takes about 5 minutes after the hole is drilled.If you rush,you will spend hours trying to remove a broken tap from the receiver. Taps are very "Hard" and do not drill-out very well.

You do not want to do this . Go slow and only 1/4 of a turn .

Hope this helps....

I didn't have a problem with mine except my T handles wouldn't fit.

Same problem here. I remembered seeing on Dinzag's website the suggestion to not remove the workpiece from the drill press after drilling, and just chuck the tap into the press and turn it in by hand for perfect alignment. I did this for a turn or two, but was a bit freaked out at not being able to really gauge how much downward pressure I was applying with the press handle.

I'd seen the guys on American Chopper (admittedly, not exactly the most precision builders) endlessly run their taps in cordless drills. Even though in the back of my mind, I kept hearing "DON'T DO IT!!!", I chucked up the tap into my Dewalt cordless, set it on low speed, and just nudged the trigger ever so slightly for the slowest speed possible. Reverse to break chips, slow forward again, reverse, etc.

Well, holly hell, it worked! I'd still recommend using a tap handle or other adapter if you are at all squeamish about tapping the hole.

Edited by pfbz

For me the best results are tapping by hand. Make sure your drilled hole is square with the trunion and that you are square and true with the tap. As stated, go slow and use plenty of oil. i go about 1/8 turn or until i feel resistance that indicates I am not cutting and the tiniest bit of flex in the tap. Then back off, break the chips and repeat as required.

The only tap I have broken was when I tried to use a variable speed drill. Don't try this.

This pretty easy to do if you think it through and take your time. It still should onky take 5 to 10 minutes, even being extra careful.

There are several recent threads on this forum regarding tapping for the bullet guide, if you wish to search for them.

Edited by canoecanoe

No way in hell would I trust a drill, or a press to tap. I just couldn't do that. Even the ratchet made me nervous.

I have always tapped by hand, but both of the alternatives were methods that others have used very successfully. Certainly Dinzag deserved the benefit of the doubt with his "put the tap in the drill press and turn it by hand" method, and I've seen others use the cordless drill method many times. And while russian steel might have not been the ideal place to experiment, it came out *perfect*.

Edited by pfbz

Thanks for posting your screw up for all to learn from. I had one of Dinzag's old bullet guides and exchanged it for a new one and it doesn't line up with the old hole. I have never tapped a hole and don't have a drill press. I think my grandpa has a small drill press, I am going to call him today. I am too nervous to attempt it with just my cordless drill.

I was hoping someone from my local gun forums could help but no one is willing I guess.

Your thread will be a reminder in my head telling me to go it slow and measure twice cut once.

Thanks for posting your screw up for all to learn from. I had one of Dinzag's old bullet guides and exchanged it for a new one and it doesn't line up with the old hole. I have never tapped a hole and don't have a drill press. I think my grandpa has a small drill press, I am going to call him today. I am too nervous to attempt it with just my cordless drill.

I was hoping someone from my local gun forums could help but no one is willing I guess.

Your thread will be a reminder in my head telling me to go it slow and measure twice cut once.

How far off is the existing hole from where you need it now? You could 'stretch' the hole on the existing bullet guide with a drill and it will still hold it securely.....if it's not too far off.

• Like 1

How far off is the existing hole from where you need it now? You could 'stretch' the hole on the existing bullet guide with a drill and it will still hold it securely.....if it's not too far off.

Good thinking. It's far enough that drilling a new hole is not going to create a "figure 8" pattern. I am not home so I can't measure but I would say maybe 1/16" off (recalling from memory of just looking at it).

• 2 weeks later...

dont feel bad. ill be doing one again soon and i always dread it. im a perfectionist and i hate my own work, but in the same sense it turns out right. (although i still get pissed about petty shit when i think about it.). but as long as its running good then you didnt fuck up. there is a reason "they" call it a "tolerance". just enjoy your rifle that you put together and say fuck the rest.

I use the modified DInzag type method. Chuck up the tap in the press, hang a role of duck tape off the press handle to provide a few pounds of downward pressure. Then turn the chuck by hand, reversing every half turn or so to free up shavings. The nice thing about this method is that you can be sure your plum to the hole you just drilled.

I use the modified DInzag type method. Chuck up the tap in the press, hang a role of duck tape off the press handle to provide a few pounds of downward pressure. Then turn the chuck by hand, reversing every half turn or so to free up shavings. The nice thing about this method is that you can be sure your plum to the hole you just drilled.

Good advice, for small holes I use the bench top (CHEAP) drill press, and remove the belt so i can use the pulley to turn the tap by hand - it makes it very easy to control.

SOOO glad that the .308 doesn't need one...

I'm a semi-retired machinist and the only way I would even begin to attempt this would be on a Bridgeport with a couple of new center drills for the pilot hole, new titanium drills (or at least carbide) for the bore and a tap set (3-stage) for the threads.

I also suffer from OCD (everything has to be perfect) so just the thoughts of a hand drill on anything but wood disturbs me.

amazing.gif

I am failing to understand why people are obsessing over this. Yes, you need to be careful, but this is not rocket science. Hand tools are plenty sufficient for this operation unless you are a complete klutz and can't chew gum and walk at the same time.

Just go slow and pay attention to what you are doing.

• Like 1

my biggest problem is trying not to forget my tap wrench at work. i did one not long ago and had to put the tap in a set of vice grips. lol. fuckin redneck engineering. but it worked. forcing a tap will break them very easy. especially with a power tool and a small tap.