ok so i have a chance to buy an m1 garand used in ww2 and built in 1945. while i can't verify the authenticity of this claim and haven't seen it yet i have wanted an m1 garand for a while. he says it is a 30-06 and it is in good shape. he is asking $800. is this a good deal? also when i go to check it out what should i look for? any info would be great as i know very little about these guns. all i know is saiga's, imagine that. thanks in advance.

$800 sounds like a good price, WW2 era or not.

Do a general inspection of the bore, sloppy action, overall finish, etc.

If it's shootable, I would imagine it's worth more than his asking price.

I know nothing of Garands.

thanks sim player. i was thinking 800 was a good price as well but really don't have a clue. all of the m1s i have seen before were at least a $1000. i kind of wanted a .308 but the 30-06 is ok. i know there is a lot of knowledge on this site so lets hear some more!

The two cartridges have similar enough ballistics that, to me, the caliber would be a non-issue.

Check the muzzle crown for dings near the rifling, too. :)

Good luck!

Edited by Sim_Player

If the seller doesn't have a wear gauge but happens to have some M2 ball, you could get a pretty good idea of the muzzle wear like this.

Oh, and if it's a Springfield, the serial numbers for 1945 should run from about 3.4-3.9mil

Edited by DrThunder88

Make sure it looks like all the parts are from the same place. CAI (century) slapped a bunch of them together and they really suck. You will see an import mark on it if they did it. If it's a real one that shoots ok, you are getting a good deal.

Any chance you can fire it to prove it works?

Lots of great info on line when buying one! Best of luck!

Also disassemble the whole rifle - among other things, you want to make sure the op rod isn't bent.

This is excellent advice! It seems to be the number 1 issue that's found on used M1 Garands. Rogers, this seems like a pretty good deal, would you have the oppurtunity to fire it before buying it?

800 is kind of high not knowing what kind of shape its in. I bought one a while back for 600 in decent field grade. For 800 it should be in pretty good shape. I would say between service and field grade. Just really depends.

+1 for malodave. Check out CMP. Do all the research before you buy the rifle. And make sure the barrel isnt shot out. Cmp has some great deals on rifles if you can handle waiting a couple months to get it. I think it usually takes 6-8 weeks.

Edited by Chevyman097

$800 is a fair price if the gun is well worn. If it is in better shape, that would be a bargain.

HOWEVER-

Congress has recently overridden the bogus Obanner ban on importing Garands from Korea. Expect to see CMP Garands make a return!

• Like 1

thanks everyone for all the info. so it sounds like if it is in good condition i should check the muzzle for wear with a bullet, check the op rod, and try to shoot it if i can. and if not just wait for some more to come into the country. i did not know that they were going to start importing them back into the country. that sounds like it might drive the prices down. thanks again everyone, i am going to try to check this rifle out today.

If its H&R its not ww2. They were made during Korea but never saw action. This doesnt makr it worse, just not ww2.

I had one. Nice rifle, accurate but it only takes Garand specific ammo you cant just slap any 06 in there. Paying for ammo go old so i sold it.

If its H&R its not ww2. They were made during Korea but never saw action. This doesnt makr it worse, just not ww2.

I had one. Nice rifle, accurate but it only takes Garand specific ammo you cant just slap any 06 in there. Paying for ammo go old so i sold it.

...What?

Garand-specific ammo, huh? Explicate.

...What?

Garand-specific ammo, huh? Explicate.

I have never personally witnessed any of this. But I have heard that belief comes from people saying the newer market ammo can damage garands because they were not built to take the pressure of modern ammo.

But regardless....its an easy, cheap fix. Screw in one of a couple different gas plugs designed for the garand and your good to go. This is the one i use.

http://www.garandgear.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=75&category_id=33&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53&vmcchk=1&Itemid=109

OK, just talked to the guy again and have made plans to check it out tomorrow after work. i got some more info as well. he said it was a Springfield and that the serial # dated back to February 1945. he said that he had owned it for approximately 20 years and that it was in great shape. he stated that he had a gunsmith shoot it last month and it shot fine and that the gunsmith tore it down and everything was in good shape and that the rifle was still "tight". i asked him if the serial numbers all matched on the parts and he said yes. i don't know weather to believe that but we will see. so i am excited to check this thing out. if this pans out this will be the best fathers day present i have ever got my dad. he was in the marines and carried one of these when he wasn't carrying a B.A.R. thanks for the info on the gas regulators i was worried about that. the wealth of knowledge on this forum is awesome.

• Like 1

Yes Garands cant take just any 3006. Hunting and modern commercial ammo develops more pressure then what it was designed for. This is how op rods bend + other problems. There is an adjustable gas plug you can buy that bleeds off some but youre still putting it on 1940 technology. Some people have luck with it sone dont. This is also why American Eagle and Hornedy make M1 Garand specific ammo. It will say so in big letters on the bottom right corner of the box

Edited by Arik

Garands like ball powder and 180gr ammo - it was tuned to run on mil-spec ammo.30-06 ammo is available in that flavor.

30-06 is also available in many other flavors. It is available in more flavors than any other round except maybe 12ga. , I have ammo from 55gr .Accelerators up to 180 gr mil-surp. I have shot 200gr. cast bullets. Get an 03-A3 Springfield to shoot up any ammo the Garrand does not like together a Garrand and a Springfield are .30-06 Nirvana!

I have a Springfield that want's a Garand to play with very badly. If that one is at all decent for $800 then quit looking, PAY the MONEY and RUN!

Not sure I can post a link to a guy I bought a Garand from here, but if you pm me, I'll be happy to share it with you. I paid $900 for mine a few years back and it is practically a brand new rifle. Even has a new chrome lined barrel and brand new walnut stock. All the other parts were refinished and re-parkerised. Best of all, it shoots great.

I have a Winchester Garand 1380xxx receiver($250) that I used to build a Sarco supplied parts kit($395) including a SA barrel and a mixture of WRA, SA, and BMB parts. Also came with a fairly decent walnut stock. I knew that it wouldn't be very collectible so I didn't mind the parts mix.

post-2898-0-89589500-1339464797_thumb.jpg

It turned out to be a very nice shooter. Open sights it shoots mostly in the black which I can barely see at 100yds.

post-2898-0-02184100-1339465287_thumb.jpg

You have to decide if you want something historically correct with all matching numbers with a high resale value or you just want something that you can shoot and not worry about having to baby it.

$800 seems like a pretty good price but if you aren't in a hurry then you just might want to try out CMP Garands. Whichever you choose, you will have a lot of fun with it. Just make sure you have it checked out before you make final payment.

just my .02...

Good Luck!

nyclu3

I bought it! The seller was a really nice guy and was easy to deal with. We talked for a long time and finally got down to buissness. I ended up talking him down to 700 dollars cash and he is willing to refund my money if I don't still like it in a week. Haven't had a chance to break it down yet but I can see that the reciver starts with 37xxxxxxx springfield and the bot and barrel are springfield as well. I could be wrong but I think the barrel was made in august of 1944. So far I like it but we will see what happens when I shoot it. Overall it doesent have any rust but the finish if well worn. The stock is beat up pretty good but not cracked. Here is a picture.

post-26626-0-34070700-1339466219.jpg

Edited by rogers
  • Like 1

no, the bayo didn't. for some reason i bought the bayo about 15 years ago at a flea market. it was fate that i buy the gun to match.big_smile.gif the sling did come with it and looks to be original. i don't know if my bayo is the correct one for the gun but it fits fine. he also threw in 4 clips and 8 rounds of ammo, not much but it will get me going. sorry the pic is upside down my phone does crazy things. thanks again for all of the info everyone. i probably would not have bought it without knowing a little about it. i hope my dad likes it!

• Like 1