JUST GOT BACK FROM A WEEK IN THE FIELD RE PLACING SOME HARDWARE.

IN 2004 I DESIGNED A STRUCTURAL MONITORING SYSTEM USING HIGH PRECISION GPS, ROBOTIC OPTICAL SENSORS AND NOW ACCELEROMETERS. WE CAN MONITOR THIS BRIDGE 24/7 AND USE THE MEASUREMENTS TO PREDICT THE STABILITY OVER A LONG TERM. I AM MEASURING DEFLECTIONS NOW AT THE 2-5 MM LEVEL.

AS SYSTEM LIKE THIS WOULD HAVE ALARMED OFFICIALS PRIOR TO THE COLLAPSE OF THE BRIDGE IN MINNEAPOLIS AND AT LEAST ALLOWED THEM TO CLOSE IT DOWN.

CONSIDER THE COST OF A BRIDGE AT $200 MILLION (LOW SIDE), A SYSTEM LIKE I DEPLOYED IS LESS THAN $200K. SEEMS TO MAKE GOOD FISCAL SENSE, YET IT IS NOT WIDELY ACCEPTED. GO FIGURE.

sky4.jpg

sky3.jpg

sky.jpg

sky1-1.jpg

• Like 3

Yep, after 22 years it's gotten so I like my job. Your job reminds me of a job I had for a couple years when I was a young man. I was a lightning protection system installer. Residential and commercial.

Yep, after 22 years it's gotten so I like my job. Your job reminds me of a job I had for a couple years when I was a young man. I was a lightning protection system installer. Residential and commercial.

yep the lps on this beast is impressive. huge copper straps from each tower corner that run from the top into the bay. we had huge thunderstorms the first 2 days. didnt get within 3 miles of the bridge during the storms. we lost data early in the project. went to investigate the issue only to find a pair if sea gull legs fused into the copper strap. needless to say my sensors were toast.

• Like 1

I am just thankful that I have one.

I'm glad that I have the one I have now. Got laid off back in 08 and thought I'd never find another like it...I didn't, found one better. Got into a whole new carreer and better pay/benefits! I am very fortunate compared to a lot of other folks.

Plus, I LOVE my side job gunsmithing! Just not enough real money out there on a regular basis in this area to make it the number 1 job.

Edited by unclejake

I take pride in my work, and my job, but at the end of the day its only my blue collar ethic that keeps me comming back for more.

Its work because someone has to be paid to be motivated and compinsated enough to do that. That said I feel satisfactorally compensated to show up 15 minutes prior every day and give a proper days work clean and free of unnaceptable substances.

I am satisfied, I can't say I "love" it.

My job is nice. It's taken me around the world on first class flights and four star hotels...of my opinon. (who saw that comming)? I sure as hell didn't. Ofcourse after the travel, I live on a rig like any other rough neck, although I don't have a "hitch" I'm on till the job is done,..be it one week, or 6 months..no breaks, no days off, no shore time. I'm in it for the full hog.

You are correct, smart bomb. I do fields service work for the oil and gas industry. My work is more of as a consultant particuarly for tge fire suppression systems so it can be stressful to get right when time is a factor. Oil companies dont like having to delay first oil on a new rig cause the fire systems arent operational.

I like my job, I get to break things and wait for people to fix them.

I hate my job, I have to design testing methods and automation for apps that I've never seen and don't exist, not always annoying, but it can be a bitch.

I work for a crazy awesome company that does a good job making you forget about the downsides. Work hard, play much harder. Lots of free lunches and breakfasts, dinner parties. Lots of light hearted shennanigans around the office. When I first got this job it was like I had job shell shock, I came from such a shit hostile work environment, it took getting used to working as a team with people that were awesome. Strange that a good work environment was hard to get used to.

I'm paid reasonably well, I have my toys and a good mancave. ^_^

count me in as one who loves my job/s.

It can be stressful at times but, I am well compensated, have amazing health coverage, get lot's of benefits, etc.

As Syndicate said, three years ago when I came to this company was a trip. I was so used to liars, cheats and people trying to knock you out of your position, this place took a little getting used too.

I love the company I own also, I make bank on not doing shit, my crew does everything now. I just deposit checks and pay them. It's a lovely deal.

• Like 1

OP, if I had your job, I'd be shitting my pants on a daily basis. I don't handle heights very well.amazing.gif

On topic: No, I do not like my job. I'm good at it, but do not like it. I don't complain about it, though. I'm just waiting to find something better. The job I left in SC was what I thought was going to be the start of my "career". That did not turn out to be the case. Working in a jail for 12 hours a day was not for me, and it only took 1 year to figure that out. Some people are cut out for that type of work. It turns out, I'm not one of those people. But hey, I gave it a try. Sort of sucks being a year away from turning 30, and not really knowing what I want to be when I grow up, lol.beaten.gif

• Like 2
Sort of sucks being a year away from turning 30, and not really knowing what I want to be when I grow up, lol.beaten.gif

Dont feel bad, Ive got 14 years of active duty service under my belt, 32 years old and STILL have no idea what I want to do when I grow up.... and scared to death about what im going to do in 6 years...

Oh, and I couldnt be happier serving our country. My current job in the AF is getting kind of old (working a special duty right now) but definitely looking forward to going back to my primary job in a year.

• Like 1

I've got some of that aimlessness too. While I like my job, it's not a career position, or at least it probably won't be when I need it to be. I've gone back to school to finish my bachelor's degree with some indication that I'll try for law school thereafter. I can't say I really want to be a lawyer, but what the heck else am I going to do with a criminal justice degree?

Sort of sucks being a year away from turning 30, and not really knowing what I want to be when I grow up, lol.beaten.gif

Dude I started this job last year shortly after turning 30

don't worry about it.

Getting caught up in what other people think and their views on career path is a waste of time, at least you took the chance and didn't sit stewing and bitching about not trying it out.

I went from auto parts to software, it was nerve racking, it still can be. But all is said and done, I've been told how I went into the week long boot camp/interview and kicked the pants off people with degrees and experience, all I had was determination to find something better, perseverance (hell I got buckets of that shit, I beat cancer with 2% surivival odds), time (sacrificed my entire personal life for a few weeks before that interview to study and didn't do anything but go to the office, sit and learn, take daily tests, and go home and do it 2 nd or 3rd time to make sure it stuck.

That week long process was tough, hell some dude had a fucking heart attack and another guy left crying, still hard to believe that.

Don't sell yourself short and do what you think is best and do your best to LEARN from the mistakes instead of regretting them.

• Like 1

Dont feel bad, Ive got 14 years of active duty service under my belt, 32 years old and STILL have no idea what I want to do when I grow up.... and scared to death about what im going to do in 6 years...

Oh, and I couldnt be happier serving our country. My current job in the AF is getting kind of old (working a special duty right now) but definitely looking forward to going back to my primary job in a year.

I hear ya, and I feel that same "fear".

Things have a weird way of working out, though. I'm confident that I'll end up where I'm supposed to be, as I'm sure you will, too.

I've got some of that aimlessness too. While I like my job, it's not a career position, or at least it probably won't be when I need it to be. I've gone back to school to finish my bachelor's degree with some indication that I'll try for law school thereafter. I can't say I really want to be a lawyer, but what the heck else am I going to do with a criminal justice degree?

There's many different jobs in Law Enforcement that having a CJ degree would be beneficial. Not just simply as police officer, either. There's many different avenues that you could take with a degree like that. A guy I worked with at the jail used his to get a job doing something with the game-&-fishing agency. He was the same class as a normal police officer, but got to drive around in a county car and deal with game-&-fish type stuff. Quite a few police officers went the same route, and said they liked it much better than street patrol.

Dude I started this job last year shortly after turning 30

don't worry about it.

Getting caught up in what other people think and their views on career path is a waste of time, at least you took the chance and didn't sit stewing and bitching about not trying it out.

I went from auto parts to software, it was nerve racking, it still can be. But all is said and done, I've been told how I went into the week long boot camp/interview and kicked the pants off people with degrees and experience, all I had was determination to find something better, perseverance (hell I got buckets of that shit, I beat cancer with 2% surivival odds), time (sacrificed my entire personal life for a few weeks before that interview to study and didn't do anything but go to the office, sit and learn, take daily tests, and go home and do it 2 nd or 3rd time to make sure it stuck.

That week long process was tough, hell some dude had a fucking heart attack and another guy left crying, still hard to believe that.

Don't sell yourself short and do what you think is best and do your best to LEARN from the mistakes instead of regretting them.

Good advice. I appreciate it.

I have no real regrets in my life. I think part of my fear is stemming from life-revelations people start having when they get close to 30, lol. I swear, it feels like yesterday when I was excited about turning 18 so I could buy my own cigarettes! When you're young(er), you don't pay attention to the older people who say that time flies. It really does, though.

But anyway, like I said, I feel that I'll end up where I'm supposed to be.

Thanks for sharing your story. It's nice to hear when someone busts their ass to better themselves and their lives.

• Like 1

Good advice. I appreciate it.

I have no real regrets in my life. I think part of my fear is stemming from life-revelations people start having when they get close to 30, lol. I swear, it feels like yesterday when I was excited about turning 18 so I could buy my own cigarettes! When you're young(er), you don't pay attention to the older people who say that time flies. It really does, though.

But anyway, like I said, I feel that I'll end up where I'm supposed to be.

Thanks for sharing your story. It's nice to hear when someone busts their ass to better themselves and their lives.

no problem man. If it's anything I know well it's wondering about in life. If I went over all the different careers I thought I would love, and ones I tried, you would think I was a character from a bad movie.

• Like 1