16 replies to this topic

#1 Syndicate

Syndicate

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

I am still deciding on powder, but pretty much decided to do a 2 3/4 12 ga load

Cheddite high brass hulls (I have some left over winchester high brass from slugs I've shot, So I will try those and the back up is the cheddite ones that I can get local)
Federal primers (have a ton anyway)
hornaday 00 and 000 shot

SO I'm looking for powder suggestions and wad suggestions. I've only ever done bird shot and didn't know if there were ones to get not to get.

Got a mec reloader.

I'm looking to do a hornady crit defense round

The other round I wanted to do, but not sure if I want to cast slugs, is a foster type like the winchester 2 3/4 deer slugs. Haven't seen a place to just buy ones like I want.

I will need the powder block for the ammount I need.

In my birdshot loading exp I prefer winchesters, but open to suggestions.

Can't find my shotgun loading data book, a suggestion on a site would be nice, I'm leary of using certain stuff off the internet, I like published books.
If "elitist" just means "not the dumbest motherfucker in the room," I'll be an elitist! (From Get Your War On!)

ADD is a hoax. There’s no scientific and then there was a car chase, and ooh, I gotta go pee, then this guy, you’re funny! Yesterday I lemonade

#2 Rottieman33

Rottieman33

Taste The Rainbow

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

IMR 700-X powder mec bushing #30 17 grains
claybuster wads CB1118-12

#3 patriot

patriot

America...Love it or get the hell out!

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

Posted Image

http://www.midwayusa...eloading-manual

Fighting for your rights whether you deserve them or not. Pro Patria Vigilans
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are constitutional rights secure." Albert Einstein ...remember the Four Boxes. Psalm 109:8
Tromix.....When it HAS to be Loud and Proud!

#4 deadeye

deadeye

bloodshot

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:23 AM

Is it nessicary to you high brass to reload buck and slugs. I have a ton of win aa hulls and was wondering if they will work as well
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own goverment."

George Washington

#5 patriot

patriot

America...Love it or get the hell out!

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:52 AM

Use the hulls the data calls for. Otherwise you could end up with serious overpressure.
  • Syndicate likes this

Fighting for your rights whether you deserve them or not. Pro Patria Vigilans
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are constitutional rights secure." Albert Einstein ...remember the Four Boxes. Psalm 109:8
Tromix.....When it HAS to be Loud and Proud!

#6 Rottieman33

Rottieman33

Taste The Rainbow

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

I don't use High brass at all for buck shot or slugs. High brass makes no differance. Everybody think because it's high brass it has more powder that is false. Been shooting slugs out of winchester AA hulls for years and still have all my fingers and eyes. Back in the day of paper hulls they needed the high brass for magnam loads because they had more powder and would burn little holes in the paper...so they started making high brass to protect the paper. Now a days it's not needed.
  • Groovy Mike likes this

#7 TacSat

TacSat

Executive Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

Here is a site that can help http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
PSALM 27:1-2
The Lord is my light and my salvation whom shall I Fear?the Lord is the strength of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?
When the wicked ,even mine enemies and my foes,came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumble and fell.

#8 Syndicate

Syndicate

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

oh man that's good news I have ass tons of AA hulls
If "elitist" just means "not the dumbest motherfucker in the room," I'll be an elitist! (From Get Your War On!)

ADD is a hoax. There’s no scientific and then there was a car chase, and ooh, I gotta go pee, then this guy, you’re funny! Yesterday I lemonade

#9 msrdiver

msrdiver

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

What will be your primary hull and powder? I have load data using Remington Field Grade 1 Buck pellets bought from Precision Reloading.

PM me.

Edited by msrdiver, 20 August 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#10 Groovy Mike

Groovy Mike

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

I like Herco for buckshot
Trust in the Lord, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness. Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in Him, and He will act. Psalm 37:3-7

#11 FORKLIFT352

FORKLIFT352

Executive Member

• PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

Cheap feds low brass
Winchester 209 primer
32-34 gr. Blue dot powder
Federal 12S4 wads
9 ea. 00 buck ( precision reloading 79.00 per 25 lbs.)
Works for me.
I got the 100 pack federal for playing...
So I just reuse the hulls.
  • Syndicate likes this

#12 Syndicate

Syndicate

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

Cheap feds low brass
Winchester 209 primer
32-34 gr. Blue dot powder
Federal 12S4 wads
9 ea. 00 buck ( precision reloading 79.00 per 25 lbs.)
Works for me.
I got the 100 pack federal for playing...
So I just reuse the hulls.

nice I looked at a similar recipe the other day, sounds like a winner

still trying to find a source on rifled slugs, only find non-rifled and sabot of the variety I want, well I should say no one has the type in stock I want.

#13 -Indy-

-Indy-

Weapons GURU

• Volunteer Moderator
  • 10,115 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

Not even ballistic products ?? http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

:smoke:
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
~ Thomas Jefferson

It is impossible to make people understand their ignorance; for it requires knowledge to perceive it and therefore he that can perceive it, hath it not.
Jeremy Taylor
English prelate (1613 - 1667)

"The AG has determined that you're a potential terrorist, because only potential terrorists are interested in buying guns."

#14 chris2000ss

chris2000ss

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

win 209 primer
28.5 gr WSF powder = winchester super field
winAA12 wad
9 pellets 00 buck

#15 msrdiver

msrdiver

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

I buy buckshot from precision reloading. I use the Remington Field Grade buckshot. Much cheaper than Hornady products. Nickle plated buckshot is also available through Precision reloading. Friendly sales staff and prompt shipping.

#16 Netpackrat

Netpackrat

Raw Member

• PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

Use the hulls the data calls for. Otherwise you could end up with serious overpressure.

What he said; use exactly the components that the data calls for. Shotgun loads in general have less safety margin for substitution than rifle or pistol ammo, particularly with higher power buck and slug loads. I load buck and slugs per data off the Hodgdon site, in Remington hulls. The data calls for different wads and primers for each type, so that is what I use. HS-6 powder in both.

#17 deadeye

deadeye

bloodshot

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:39 PM

I like the hs6 powder as well. winchester aa hulls are the only ones I can get a decent crimp with. Im still learning how to adjust the crimper for other hulls
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own goverment."

George Washington

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users