Kalashnikov Rifles Sales To US Keeping Izhevsk Machine Works Afloat

This is the article the author was researching when he posted here. I talked to him by phone and he actually wanted to quote me but I became uncomfortable with the direction in which he tried to steer the conversation so I asked that he not do it and I see that he didn't. He did mention that Saigas were selling well here because of "lax gun laws" which made me cringe and that in buying these guns Americans were actually supporting the build up of the Russian military, allowing an increase in production capacity I guess.

The article was not the hatchet job it could have been but there are still some things there that the Anti Gun Rights crowd will latch on to.

• Like 4

Cool, and it's written by that guy that was on here a few weeks ago wanting interviews with people.

Contrary to peoples fears it turned out to be a fairly neutral, if not pro-gun article.

Shame the comment section isn't the same way.

Believe me, there's plenty in that article that can be used against us. "AK-47s Flood Into the US", "US Gun Owners Support The Russian Military", "Lax US Gun Laws Help Support Development Of The Newest Generation Of Russian Machine Guns"....

Like I said, it's not as bad as it could have been but it would have been better if it had not been published at all.

• Like 2

The article was not the hatchet job it could have been but there are still some things there that the Anti Gun Rights crowd will latch on to.

Yes there is.

The speak about the Colorado incident, the comparison to strict Russian gun ownership regulations (Police authorization and sanity papers), the mention of pistol grips and "high capacity magazine" etc. That's why when i saw that it was NY Times doing the piece, i didn't want anything to do with helping the "Journalist". I will admit he kept it a bit more civil then i'd guessed but it reeks of an agenda because of the certain "honorable mentions"

• Like 1

I found the last paragraph pretty hilarious.

However, gun control in Russia is less strict than in some other former Soviet countries. Estonia, for example, proscribes carrying a weapon while drunk. “If they did that here, well, nobody would hunt,” said Igor V. Anisimov, the Izhmash director of foreign sales.

• Like 1

First, thank you for the link, and the OP.

The slant on the article was as I expected. It's a back hand to the mouth of gun ownership and the second ammendment.

As with all articles in the press people read into it what they want. Many of us on the Saiga Forum see that we are helping Izmash, but if you take closer look it's really an artcile bashing the 2nd Ammendment. If you read the comments section most of the readership is way left, and makes me want to barf, and shit myself at the same time.

• Like 3

yeah the second page of the article went south from the first page. and for the comment section, they are sickening. i seen several that were trying to imply that we are supporting an "enemy", but made no mention to the housefull of chinese made shit they have.

• Like 3

Its the feck'n NYT, what do you any of you expect? Anti-2A dogma is written into the paper's DNA and etched into the minds of their pea-brained progressive audience. Even if Andrew Kramer wanted to write an unslanted article, his editors sure as hell weren't going to pass up an opportunity to twist it into a hit piece. Fuck 'em all. Fuck every single last one of those pathetic, wet-nursed cocksuckers at the NYT and fuck those dim-witted latte-sippin' fuck-twats that buy into their demagoguery like its a religion.

Simple as that.

• Like 7

One of the Comments:

Jaybird San Francisco

Plant a garden instead. It is far more productive, soothing to the gardener, and healthier for everyone, everywhere.

God dammit, what the fuck is wrong with people from California?

I can't be alone in this state.... am I?

Edited by Live2Ride

One of the Comments:

Jaybird San Francisco

Plant a garden instead. It is far more productive, soothing to the gardener, and healthier for everyone, everywhere.

Fucked up hippies. The same ones that are now running the country.

• Like 1

One of the Comments:

Jaybird San Francisco

So there was a video about a container discovered that was filled with functional StG-44s in Syria. They were discovered by the rebels and will likely be used against the al-Assad regime, in defense of their homes and families. What does a commenter say about the guns?

"May I make a suggestion.. take all those guns and destroy them.. Replace them with guitars, drums, paint brushes, shovels , hammers ect ect. You know the things that you build and create with. To create is MUCH MUCH MUCH MORE difficult then to destroy. A trained monkey can shoot a gun. LOVE IS MUCH MORE POWERFUL THEN HATE. I hope that you have understanding."

I am sure a brutal dictator that is bombing your home will stop when he hears the beautiful music.

Some people's brains do no work. Are you surprised?

Edited by mancat
  • Like 4

One of the Comments:

Jaybird San Francisco

If this guy read some of our posts on other threads he might be surprised as hell to know how many members here do plant gardens. He doesn't sound very well rounded to me. He needs more hobbies.

• Like 1

There are some seriously fucking weird comments on that article.

My assumption is that those most staunchly against gun control and who hold the Second Amendment most dearly are gun lovers, collectors, enthusiasts, hunters.

Their passion is for the gun itself and Constitutional rights secondary. Their passions are essentially shallow!

Had the Constitution contained an amendment guaranteeing the right to embibe wine, limitations on the sale of wine would be most defended, and the Amendment held most dearly by the gun loving counterparts, the readers of Wine Spectator!

My hunch is that when nobody is looking, gun lovers savor their guns, with their peculiar bouquets, characters, hints of gun bluing, occasionally sneaking a quick lick!

My assumption is that those most staunchly against gun control and who hold the Second Amendment most dearly are gun lovers, collectors, enthusiasts, hunters.

Their passion is for the gun itself and Constitutional rights secondary. Their passions are essentially shallow!

Had the Constitution contained an amendment guaranteeing the right to embibe wine, limitations on the sale of wine would be most defended, and the Amendment held most dearly by the gun loving counterparts, the readers of Wine Spectator!

My hunch is that when nobody is looking, gun lovers savor their guns, with their peculiar bouquets, characters, hints of gun bluing, occasionally sneaking a quick lick!

WOW! They nailed it. Now thw whole world knows what we do in private with our guns.

Edited by liberty -r- death
  • Like 3

I always wanted to do a Michael Moore style documentary about how recycling cans and bottles is one of the key contributing factors to feeding the war machine with the thesis that the aluminum cans and plastic bottles that hippies and homeless recycle are then cheaply turned into military weapons by evil recycling corporations and sold for a profit to fuel wars and conflicts around the world.

With the right interviews spliced and edited together, it is easy to create illusions of fact.

- Kyle Broflovski, Ph.D. - Professor of Documentaries, Devry Institute

Just because you read a quote on the Internet, doesn't mean it is true.

- Abraham Lincoln

There was a lot in the article that I don't agree with, but it is far better than the majority of what is passed off as "journalism" in today's media.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer
  • Like 2

Oh my GOSH!!!! Supporting the Russian Military!?!?!........eh, who gives a fuck, what is this, 1980 or something??? I'm suprised the Russian military isn't selling cookies to raise money......they aren't quite what they used to be and somehow I don't live in fear of them.

• Like 2

WOW! They nailed it. Now thw whole world knows what we do in private with our guns.

Speak for yourself. Personally I like polish my guns to a high luster that is second only to the gleam in my eyes while laughing maniacally in the light of a full Fucking moon! Hey, what can I say? I'm a Sportsman.smile.png

• Like 1

This is the article the author was researching when he posted here. I talked to him by phone and he actually wanted to quote me but I became uncomfortable with the direction in which he tried to steer the conversation so I asked that he not do it and I see that he didn't. He did mention that Saigas were selling well here because of "lax gun laws" which made me cringe and that in buying these guns Americans were actually supporting the build up of the Russian military, allowing an increase in production capacity I guess.

What is supporting the build up of the Russian military are the massive orders for ammo, arms, parts, and hardware that the Obama Administration have put in for Afghanistan. The Afghanistan military is being built up with mostly Russian hardware paid for with US dollars.

And more Izhmash products are available in Europe than are available in the US under our allegedly "lax laws." I was shocked as to how many different derivatives of the AK and SVD that Izhmash actually produces for the civilian market. Look at some of the gun sales websites from other countries. The high degree of restriction in the US becomes evident when you see what you can't get.

Edited by Jaba1017
  • Like 1

That is actually a result of agreements between the US and Russia limiting what Russia will export to us. Not saying that it doesn't count as a restriction, but it's different than you think.

But yes, Izhmash makes a shitload of variations on the Saiga line, only a few of which we get in the US.

Edited by mancat

That is actually a result of agreements between the US and Russia limiting what Russia will export to us. Not saying that it doesn't count as a restriction, but it's different than you think.

But yes, Izhmash makes a shitload of variations on the Saiga line, only a few of which we get in the US.

You're right the import ban is the product of a voluntary agreement. The only reason there is no outright ban is that the US needs a secondary supply route into Afghanistan through Russia. That and the fact Hillary wants to scissor kiss Medvedev and Obama is scared of Putin.

MOSCOW, June 8, 2012 (RIA Novosti)

Five U.S. defense firms have invited Russia for the first time to become a subcontractor on the delivery of Russian-made ammunition for coalition forces in Afghanistan, Russia’s state arms exporter Rosoboronexport said on Friday.

The U.S. Army Contracting Command announced a tender on the purchase of non-standard weaponry and ammunition for UN-mandated International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in April.