Sign in to follow this  
nipper2u

EDC Knife - What do you look for, carry, and why?

ANY knife will do the job. Anything from a dollar store cheapie to an Emerson will still slice your opponent to ribbons in a pinch.

• Like 1

Hope ya never are confronted at 0-10 feet!

(I think 21 ft has been the determined "Reaction" range where a knife guy can/ will get the drop on ya before you can respond)

That's exactly my legal justification for shooting anyone who gets within 21 feet of me. Clear case of self defense.

• Like 1

After a bit of research I realize that I am mistakenly lumping "every day carry" and "concealed carry" knives together. It seems for the most part anything over 4.5" in total length, not designed to carry in a pocket, and opens with any sort of "non-human" assist is illegal to conceal carry in NC (exceptions for hunting and job related knives not withstanding). So do you all open carry your EDC knives openly on your belt or carry something less substantial in your pocket or is NC more restrictive in this fashion than other states? Thanks!

My carry knife is a $15 Walmart Gerber. I'm not much of a knife guy.

My favorite knife, is this skinner that my Dad made for me back in 1997. He's far from a "pro" knife maker, but he cobbled up one hell of a nice skinning knife from an old horse shoe file. Its got some character. He made the leather shealth as well.

post-1323-0-24386500-1346881874_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

After a bit of research I realize that I am mistakenly lumping "every day carry" and "concealed carry" knives together. It seems for the most part anything over 4.5" in total length, not designed to carry in a pocket, and opens with any sort of "non-human" assist is illegal to conceal carry in NC (exceptions for hunting and job related knives not withstanding). So do you all open carry your EDC knives openly on your belt or carry something less substantial in your pocket or is NC more restrictive in this fashion than other states? Thanks!

sounds as if it has a pocket clip on it, and no automatic or assited action and doesnt exceed your legal blade length, you should be good to go.

Edited by Captain Hero

I run a Leatherman Supertool 200.  I need to start looking for a replacement as she's 18 and needing an overhaul.  If I don't have hair on my forearm, you know how sharp she is.

Found a nice Wave at a pawn shop for $30 that needed a little TLC.  Looked like somebody's kid tried cutting bubble gum with it, and he didn't know how to sharpen it.  Gave it an oil bath and some time on the Arkansas stones, and she looked like new.  Gave it to my nephew for his bug out bag.

I put a ST-300 into my vehicle emergency kit.  It doesn't have the fine screwdriver that I need for audio connectors that the 200 does.

Sometimes an old man just carries a nice well used USMC K-Bar utility knife.  Left hand shief.  (sp)  Oregon knife carrying laws are very tricky.

Sometimes speelll chzk ist ein hoot.  :)

A Leatherman Wave is my near-constant companion, with either a Kershaw Chill (beater work knife) or a Kizer Begleiter (nice knife) on the side.

Louise Jordan, posting a link, in reply to a 6yr old thread..... Spammer

Edited by Mullet Man

14 hours ago, Mullet Man said:

Louise Jordan, posting a link, in reply to a 6yr old thread..... Spammer

Necrotic, sure. I didn't mind reading it though.