Got a guy at work that will argue up one side and down the other than the Saiga is NOT a AK47 that is is just a shotgun that looks like a AK47.Now I know it doesn't follow the blue prints of ol Mikhail Kalashnikov but would it be safe to say it IS a AK47?BTW,this is the same guy that has argued with me up one side and down the other that it is illegal to "SAW" a barrel down even if building a legal SBR/SBS that the only LEGAL way to cut a barrel is to use a lathe.shocked.gif

It depends on how specific he wants to get. If by AK47 he means THE AK47 Avtomat. Then no its not. In that sense the Saiga is a AK inspired rifle. But if you mean that it looks and functions like one the yea it is an AK(M)

• Like 2

Saiga rifles are AKs, the S-12, 20 and .410 are very similar to the AK design with variances for the shot loads but are still considered an AK but none of them are AK-47s and most AK patern rifles that have been designed and sold to US consumers are based on the AKM, not the 47. There are slight differences between the M and 47 but by definition he is correct. Next time he says it tell him that it isnt an AK-47 but is a semi-auto AKM and maybe thatll fix his ass

• Like 3

The Saiga rifles and shotguns are considered part of the AK-100 series of firearms. The AK-100 series is an evolution of the AKM and AK-74 family, including modernization of older designs chambered in 5.45x39 (AK-74M, AK-105), 5.56x45 (AK-101, AK-102), and 7.62x39 (AK-103, AK-104), plus the addition of larger rifle calibers (.308, 30-06), and the addition of small and large-bore shotguns.

The list can get even longer if you consider some of the experimental designs in 9x19, balanced recoil system designs, etc. These are also part of the AK-100 series but are not commonly known in the US, or even exported to the US.

While the large-caliber rifles and shotguns have some differences compared to the small-caliber rifles, they still use the basic AK operating system, controls, and general receiver layout.

Are they AK-47s? Nope, that is a very specific model within the AK family, but they are part of the AK family. Your friend's head would spin if you showed him all of the AK family variants. He is probably like most casual gun snobs in that he doesn't really know the difference between an original AK-47 and anything else developed afterwards.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 3

Adakl(sp) is of the AR platform.

wrong it's AR styled and functionally a Remingtion 1100

it's like a front wheel drive car with a Ferrari body kit on it, looks the same, but does not function the same.

I stand corrected. Would I have been right in useing the AA then? Sorry, since I have little interest in things AR, I didn't realize. Thanks for the correction.

• Like 1

Technically, he is correct. Saigas are not AK47s. But they are in the same family of weaponry. They are of the AK platform as opposed to the AR platform. Much like the Adakl(sp) is of the AR platform.

Well, technically a 'K' platform, since the Saigas are not automatic (AK=Avtomat Kalashnikova). :)

-D

• Like 1

i'm reminded of somebody's signature line on this site.

"don't argue with an idiot. they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience."

man, i laughed so hard i think i got some mountain dew in my lung.

good luck with your coworker freighttrain. the only thing your going to succeed with that kind of guy is getting a headache

it's like a front wheel drive car with a Ferrari body kit on it, looks the same, but does not function the same.

I stand corrected. Would I have been right in useing the AA then? Sorry, since I have little interest in things AR, I didn't realize. Thanks for the correction.

AA 12 is diff also, there's a few good break vids

the AR shotgun that is well known would be the USAS 12. There are several other people that have made them and not brought them to market due to cost, also ones that don't look like shit. The USAS is the pontiac aztec of firearms, wait I take that back, I wouldn't kill myself if I owned a USAS.

AA 12 is diff also, there's a few good break vids

the AR shotgun that is well known would be the USAS 12. There are several other people that have made them and not brought them to market due to cost, also ones that don't look like shit. The USAS is the pontiac aztec of firearms, wait I take that back, I wouldn't kill myself if I owned a USAS.

And sadly the civi USAS is still labeled as a destructive device. booo.gif

Technically, he is correct. Saigas are not AK47s. But they are in the same family of weaponry. They are of the AK platform as opposed to the AR platform. Much like the Adakl(sp) is of the AR platform.

Well, technically a 'K' platform, since the Saigas are not automatic (AK=Avtomat Kalashnikova). smile.png

-D

Well, technically according to the media, all AK's are full-auto and have heat seeking bullets that only hit babies and old ladieswhat.gif

• Like 3

Well, technically a 'K' platform, since the Saigas are not automatic (AK=Avtomat Kalashnikova). smile.png

-D

Well, technically according to the media, all AK's are full-auto and have heat seeking bullets that only hit babies and old ladieswhat.gif

But they also call any black rifle an assault weapon too...

• Like 1