Don't know how well this post will go over lol.

Well , on accident I read a thread on the XD forum where the LW-15 "lower" (polymer) was bought up ... Now I never got into the whole AR thing I prefer AK's and always have. I've never owned an AR and didn't plan on it until I read about this lower last night and followed my reading by viewing many reviews that were mostly positive ...

So for $104 shipped I have this complete lower on its way to my FFL. Now I have nothing against AR's , but I'm not a fan of there forums or how (in general) most people reply/act on there. I'm an AK guy and always will be but for $100 and an upper I don't mind owning a cool plinker to go with my .223 and hey it even has a lifetime (or however they last) warranty.

So my question is anyone here know of a "plane jane" complete upper ? This is just going to be a cool little plinker ... I've seen some from $370 to over a thousand .. I am not looking to get in the "AR Club" , so I figured I'd ask my fellow AK owners if they know of anything that I could slap on this thing. I don't mind used , but again ... I know squat about AR's and am clueless.

Just couldn't pass up the deal for $104

Please forgive me :(

You can find them pretty cheap in Shotgun News from various companies, but I've heard mixed reviews. If you just want a plinker I'd try something like DPMS or DSA. $104 for a Complete lower is really cheap. Let us know if it's any good...

Edited by mizombiekilla

Uppers can range from 300-3000 dollars. Cheap plinker in 223.. plan around 5-600. Is ur lower complete?? Parts kit stock buffer spring and tube will cost another 200+.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5035MOE&name=Spikes+Tactical+16%22+Mid-Length+5.56%2f.223+Upper+Receiver&groupid=586

Is out of stock but they generally have a good selection and price on complete uppers. Hope i helped

I've seen a few LE's with New Frontier Lowers attached to their favorite upper as a duty weapon.

Surprised the hell out of me, but if they have enough faith kicking down doors while carrying one does say something.

• Like 1

My problem is just the opposite. Ever since I bought a JP Compensator they have been annoying me with catalogs and e-mails. Seeing as how Saiga won't get off the pot on this caliber I'm really tempted to get a JP in 6.5 Grendel. So far the cost has kept me from becoming a traitor but lately I've even snuck a peek or two at lower priced options.

This is not another caliber debate! I fully realize everything from a 22 short to a 308 with a worn out barrel will embarrass the Grendel, OK?

• Like 1

Where in Jax? We should meet up and make some noise. I have a few interesting things. Ever go to Second Amendment Outfitters in Yulee? I work there on the weekends.

I have direct experience with the LW-15 lowers. If you are going to leave it as-is and throw and upper on it, it is a great value. Otherwise, you are better off just building an Omni lower ($50) like you want it with a standard LPK, if you want a poly lower. The complete ATI Omni poly lowers have regular lower parts in them instead of the poly. I think they are about $130.

The trigger in the LW-15 is great for what it is, but don't try putting light springs in it as you will likely have trigger reset issues.

I recommend putting steel pivot and takedown pins in the lower as well as detents. The poly pins don't inspire much confidence and the milspec parts are only a few $. I may have some extras that aren't part of complete LPKs.

FTW.... I am an AR guy wink.png

post-22401-0-89935300-1350698344_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-70990700-1350698355_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-02842100-1350698367_thumb.jpg

Edited by evlblkwpnz
  • Like 7

Wow , hi ! Thanks for the awesome reply. I don't really know anyone in Jax (I'm pretty new to the area) but I asked in my conversion thread (in the .223 forum) if anyone was from Jax .

And that's crazy -- I went to Second Ammendment on Monday around 12. I've been meaning to go and I'm glad I did. I wrote my review for them on XDtalk -- it's such a clean , and "calm" range and the staff was really cool. It's definetly 100x better then the range I normally attend ;)

So yeah , Second Ammendment is my new range and I hope to make it over there next week. I don't know if you were there when I was but I was talking to an employee (he's bald) and I showed him my XDs and he digged the trigger kit I had on it as well as the grips. Very cool guy ... lots of ranges / shops around here don't really make me feel welcome like SA did.

Anyways I'll send you a PM I'd love to go shootin'

And yeah I'm not going to really get deep into the AR , I'm going to leave the lower and just try to find an upper to slap on it soon (the saiga conversion , and slide work I'm having done on my XDs + this lower have my pockets hurting right now). I'm hoping this toys r us interview I have goes well Monday so I can maybe afford a nice 300blkout upper :l

Where in Jax? We should meet up and make some noise. I have a few interesting things. Ever go to Second Amendment Outfitters in Yulee? I work there on the weekends.

I have direct experience with the LW-15 lowers. If you are going to leave it as-is and throw and upper on it, it is a great value. Otherwise, you are better off just building an Omni lower ($50) like you want it with a standard LPK, if you want a poly lower. The complete ATI Omni poly lowers have regular lower parts in them instead of the poly. I think they are about $130.

The trigger in the LW-15 is great for what it is, but don't try putting light springs in it as you will likely have trigger reset issues.

I recommend putting steel pivot and takedown pins in the lower as well as detents. The poly pins don't inspire much confidence and the milspec parts are only a few $. I may have some extras that aren't part of complete LPKs.

FTW.... I am an AR guy wink.png

post-22401-0-89935300-1350698344_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-70990700-1350698355_thumb.jpg

post-22401-0-02842100-1350698367_thumb.jpg

Centerfire systems has Doublestar complete upper for $320 plus shipping.

New Frontiers complete lowers are running $109 in the Houston area. Very hard price to beat for a complete lower with a buttstock & warranty.

I also have an NFA lower. I got the stripped lower after reading about a few guys accidentally shearing their plastic pins on disassembly. So i just got a standard parts kit and it went in almost flawlessly. My only issue is that the mag release on the left side was a little tight and sticking. This is a common complaint with this lower. 15 seconds of filing and trimming with a razor, and everything functions flawlessly.

As far as uppers, I went with Palmetto State Armory, their hammer forged barrel. These are the same barrels made by FN as every other hammer forged out there, like Noveske, Spikes etc. The thing with ARs is, there are a few manufacturers, but scores of resellers selling the same thing with a different rollmark. Only problem with PSA is their cust serve sucks and they are slow to ship uppers, but if you dont mind the wait its one of the best uppers on the market for the best price. They recently had a sale with these uppers for $300.

I was gonna go the complete lower plus upper for cheap, but my costs got a bit higher. I upgraded to: PSA lower kit, hammer forged midlength 'optimal profile' barrel, Magpul rear MBUIS, gunfighter charging handle, rogers super stock (lightest expandable). I went from about a $550 budget to $800, but its gonna be a very nice rifle I will be proud to hand down. Should be light enough, and soft shooting enough for my daughter to handle easily.

Biggest issue right now is the industry-wide shortage on bolt carrier groups. A BCG that used to go for $80 full price is $140 right now on sale. Election fever. If I was doing another build, I would build everything but the BCG and wait for next year.

EDIT: as mentioned, the Omni might be a better deal. Or just replace the critical pins on the NFA lower with steel. I went with a stripped poly more for weight savings than cash savings, as my complete lower clocked in at about $140. But i have the lightest possible lower, lightest stock, and all-metal lower parts kit, including a decent trigger.

Edited by mostholycerebus
  • Like 1

There was a similar and pretty hyped lower a few years back that you may have missed; the Plum Crazy lower. It looked decent enough at first, but a lot of them fail at the buffer tube extension.

It would probably be a great lower for a non-abused .22LR build.

bRgSY.jpg

Edited by mancat

I've seen a few LE's with New Frontier Lowers attached to their favorite upper as a duty weapon.

Surprised the hell out of me, but if they have enough faith kicking down doors while carrying one does say something.

Lot's of Departments issue lowers for LEOs to run whatever upper they want on and mandate the use of said lower. That only tells me their Department is cheap.

bRgSY.jpg

That's why I would steer clear of a plastic lower on an AR for a duty weapon or one I need to depend on for self defense.

I also have an NFA lower. I got the stripped lower after reading about a few guys accidentally shearing their plastic pins on disassembly. So i just got a standard parts kit and it went in almost flawlessly. My only issue is that the mag release on the left side was a little tight and sticking. This is a common complaint with this lower. 15 seconds of filing and trimming with a razor, and everything functions flawlessly.

As far as uppers, I went with Palmetto State Armory, their hammer forged barrel. These are the same barrels made by FN as every other hammer forged out there, like Noveske, Spikes etc. The thing with ARs is, there are a few manufacturers, but scores of resellers selling the same thing with a different rollmark. Only problem with PSA is their cust serve sucks and they are slow to ship uppers, but if you dont mind the wait its one of the best uppers on the market for the best price. They recently had a sale with these uppers for $300.

FOR CLARITY: Daniel Defense manufactures their own CHF barrels and they do not make a pimple on the ass of a FN manufactured CHF barrel when it comes to quality and consistency. As far as I know, FN manufactures the following CHF barrels and I have owned and tested multiples of the ones with a # sign beside them....

# Noveske

# Centurion Arms

Bravo company Manufacturing

# Palmetto State Armory

Spike's Tactical

Surplus Ammo and Arms

I was gonna go the complete lower plus upper for cheap, but my costs got a bit higher. I upgraded to: PSA lower kit, hammer forged midlength 'optimal profile' barrel, Magpul rear MBUIS, gunfighter charging handle, rogers super stock (lightest expandable). I went from about a $550 budget to $800, but its gonna be a very nice rifle I will be proud to hand down. Should be light enough, and soft shooting enough for my daughter to handle easily.

Biggest issue right now is the industry-wide shortage on bolt carrier groups. A BCG that used to go for $80 full price is $140 right now on sale. Election fever. If I was doing another build, I would build everything but the BCG and wait for next year.

EDIT: as mentioned, the Omni might be a better deal. Or just replace the critical pins on the NFA lower with steel. I went with a stripped poly more for weight savings than cash savings, as my complete lower clocked in at about $140. But i have the lightest possible lower, lightest stock, and all-metal lower parts kit, including a decent trigger.

There was a similar and pretty hyped lower a few years back that you may have missed; the Plum Crazy lower. It looked decent enough at first, but a lot of them fail at the buffer tube extension.

It would probably be a great lower for a non-abused .22LR build.

bRgSY.jpg

Yeah .22lr is about all I'd trust in one of the poly lowers. At least with an aluminum I can get a 6.8, 7.62 or similar length uppers and have no fear about the buffer snapping off. I'm sure the polys being used have advanced some but I trust metal on rifles, poly for pistols

Just to chime in..... Not all "Polymer" is equal. There are some blends out there that rival that of alloy. A lot of it has to do with the polymer chain type and compound. Not to mention weakness can come from a poor design/lack of support, the actual manufacturing process not being performed correctly to break down of polymer bonds after being exposed to UV/ petroleum/ozone. It could go a few different ways really. Put the proper metal reinforcement slugs in there and it'd last a lifetime.

If I was going to have a rifle made out of Poly I'd get the company that makes LEGOS to do it....ever step on one of those bastards. horror.gif

• Like 5

With how easy it is to build and swap parts on ARs, they're practically Lego rifles as it is!

You would be surprised how badly someone can screw up an AR build. I get an aborted mission or one that won't function properly every now and again and have to go through them and figure out what is in the wrong spot or what is missing.

I too have been thinking of an AR build, but in .308.

With the kick of this round I dont think poly will stand up

for very long, so it will be metal.

Money is what is slowing me down on the build.

bRgSY.jpg

The NFA is a different blend than the Plum Crazy, supposedly stronger? That is the weak point though. However, after reading literally hundreds of threads, ive concluded these types of failures generally occur due to 'operators' striking things with the butstock. These failures are not unheard of on aluminum lowers either, again usually overly enthusiastic butt-strokers.

But for SHTF, maybe you want the higher strength of aluminum. Even then, im not sure if the ability to hit things with the stock will serve you better than shaving a few pounds off carry weight. Then again, if you arent going for a lightweight build, why arent you running a converted saiga instead?

Edited by mostholycerebus