Plastic top rail?

Wow, a plastic top rail? Do all the Vepr 12s come with a plastic top rail or is this just another feature we lost out on?

Has anyone every used a plastic rail for optics? If so how did it hold up?

My main concern was that I was going to mount my Triji Rx30, its a rather large sight that might flex the rail (maybe in my mind) also it has the Arms QD mount. Before I figured that I could just put it on & take it off when I wanted. But with a plastic rail I can imagine the mount cutting into the rail each time I put it on & affecting its ability to return to zero.

Do polymer rails have a history of failing?

Not that I know of, although I have only seen them on rimfire rifles or handguns - or used to hold not aiming devices on heavier weapons.

I have not seen polymer rails used to hold optics on centerfire rifles or shotguns yet.

Where have you guys been? There are numerous polymer rails for saiga rifles. I have never known of a ploymer rail failing, but i guess there is always some one some where.

if its that big of a deal im betting there is a way to mod the VEPRs the way you would like just like the Saigas.

• Like 1

If it's plastic, it's really F*up.

Yg

You should just be happy.

C'mon. We know that plastic is durable. Yes, I have lots of "plastic" guns (or just the frame of those guns). I even have a plumcrazy ar15 lower, S&W M&P 15-22 (lower/upper receivers are all plastic). But when the description of the Vepr 12 is:

Everything about the Vepr is heavy duty and built like a Russian Tank.

I would expect that the rail is of metal. How would you feel when you purchase a sport car and it came with regular, non-high performance, tires?

The main issue is not about the durability of plastic but the perception and image of plastic rail in a robust (heavy duty) Vepr 12.

Yg

• Like 1

It is indeed polymer and it does feel pretty sturdy as it is riveted to the top cover in several places which will make it more rigid.

Aluminum pic. rail is about $12/foot. If it is a deal breaker, just drill out those rivets and stick a chunk of metal on there. You still come out way ahead on the cost of any other beryl type rail arrangement with solid mounting.

• Like 2

Yg

C'mon. We know that plastic is durable. Yes, I have lots of "plastic" guns (or just the frame of those guns). I even have a plumcrazy ar15 lower, S&W M&P 15-22 (lower/upper receivers are all plastic). But when the description of the Vepr 12 is:

I would expect that the rail is of metal. How would you feel when you purchase a sport car and it came with regular, non-high performance, tires?

The main issue is not about the durability of plastic but the perception and image of plastic rail in a robust (heavy duty) Vepr 12.

Yg

It is built like a tank. I cant imagine how you could damage the rail unless you take a hack saw to it.

Yg

Yg

If it bothers you that much, simple. Dont buy one.

Yg

Yg

You want some whine with your cheese?

Yg

Yg

Should have read ... Everything about the Vepr is heavy duty and built like a Russian Tank. (except for all the Plastic Parts) 021.gif

Yg

Yg

Should have read ... Everything about the Vepr is heavy duty and built like a Russian Tank. (except for all the Plastic Parts) 021.gif

Have you tested the rail on your vepr yet?

The underlying issue is simple.

The Vepr12 rail, to be in full compliance with mymilspec, must be able to withstand a one minute continuous exposure to a bonfire and still retain zero.

I'll post the result at a later date.

EDIT: the rail looks pretty robust actually. Should be fine for it's purpose.

Edited by Thor's Hammer

I've been checking out the top rail on mine this evening adding and taking off various optics and it hasn't gotten a scratch on it and it feels extremely sturdy, I can see on mine that it does have a steel spine in it and the hinge is solid steel, the picture isn't the best but you can see it at the rear of the cover and in a very thin strip along the base where it is exposed at the hinging point. I'd say it's perfectly capable of doing it's job..

post-24638-0-65134900-1351564422_thumb.jpg

Edited by Echomaker
  • Like 1

I just discovered that my T1 will cowitness if the rear slider is set to 3 or above. big_smile.gif

Noticed that with my Primary Arms micro I threw on there as well for testing, I can barely cowitness set at 1 and 2+ is easily cowitnessed.

Well what do ya know, mine does too if I mount it farther to the rear instead of up front.

I wonder what other advantages vs disadvantages are when it comes to red dot placement forward vs rearward. I might need to run a search...

Just got mine today and i don't see any problems with the rail. It looks solid. I will say that when i grab the top cover and wiggle it, it moves just a little bit more side to side than the TWS dog legs that I have on some of my rifles. That being said i do not think it will make a difference on holding zero. This is a shotgun, even if you are shooting slugs at 100 yards their isn't enough movement in my opinion to make a difference. Thanks for sharing about the co-witnessing, now I know I need another trs-25!

Vepr 12 is boer haelgeweer vermom met mall ninja plastiek bo-reling ontwerp deur nuwe kapitalistiese Molot (brommer, skroewedraaier, en tuinslang fabriek) vir die neem van geld uit geld druk, nuwe ryk US geweer liefdevolle dwase Rooinekke. Koop nie!

More for me.

• Like 1

Vepr 12 is boer haelgeweer vermom met mall ninja plastiek bo-reling ontwerp deur nuwe kapitalistiese Molot (brommer, skroewedraaier, en tuinslang fabriek) vir die neem van geld uit geld druk, nuwe ryk US geweer liefdevolle dwase Rooinekke. Koop nie!

More for me.

If you have something to contribute why not do it in English where everyone can understand it Mike?