15-17 inches in ballistic gel does not equate to 15 to 17 inches in flesh and bone and I would take 9 9mm sized pellets traveling at 1325 fps anyday over smaller .24 caliber pellets at the same speed. Besides when are you going to be shooting 50 feet, that isn't self defense, spread would be minimal at self defense distances with 00 buck, I know because I patterned my loads before using for home defense. The point here is that if you hit where you are suppose to hit buckshot and #4 will do about the same damage in impact energy and wound channel, besides there is a reason more hunters use 00buck for large white tails around here than #4 because it puts them down quicker. not saying #4 wont do it but 00 buck is the clear winner as far as one shot stop ability. Secondly #4 is just as likely to go through sheet rock as 00 would so the underpenetration point is mute, hell birdshot will go through a couple of pieces of drywall easy.

Sorry OP back on topic, get something and be able to hit what you are aiming at the chances that it will actually leave the body are slim with a good hit, so my advice would be beef up the locks and such and practice a plan with your family should somebody break in, and for god sakes keep your HD weapon where you can get to it not in the safe.

Edited by dashowdy

Extremely unusual. Burglars like the path of least resistance and prefer to work while you are at work.

Yep.

This means the bad guy KNOWS he may have a confrontation and he goes in anyway.

Which also means he is prepared to hurt somebody.

I have had one B&E at my current residence which occurred years ago while I was at work. Among other things I did I obtained window lock "security screws" made by a company called Trileen and are sold at locksmith shops. They are counter-sunk when installed and have a proprietary head on the large screw which cannot be turned by any currently available socket, extra "keys" can be bought. This means that the window would literally have to be torn out of the frame to gain entry. This equals a lot of noise and extra time. Of course you have to keep this in mind if quick escape from the room might be needed i.e. fire. So you could have one window not secured in this way or something to break through it from the inside. Just one small measure but I like knowing even if a pane of glass is broken out where the usual window lock is and the lock opened, that window ain't going up, no way, no how.

post-41803-0-42615800-1351866003.jpg

Personally, I want to be able to hit a perp through various cover in my house. Lots of people confuse cover with concealment. This video shows what various calibers will penetrate in a building. There are plenty more out on the net. http://www.militaryvideos.net/videos.php?videonum=43

I go along with several of the points being made about locking up stuff with good doors and locks, this gun or that gun with this or that ammo, cover and concealment.

A couple of things come to mind:

One is with people who rob sometimes they come back after some time has past figuring you’ve bought new stuff to replace the stuff they stole the 1st time.

Two a barking little dog is better than a quite big dog so I hope you’ve gotten your electronic and 4 legged systems to work good.

Finally you’re dealing with a strange Rat-Bastard thief if they’d steal your glasses, damn.

Extremely unusual. Burglars like the path of least resistance and prefer to work while you are at work.

Yep.

Yep

...and he is comming back.

On the agenda today is to get ADT back to install a glass breakage in that room and an outdoor siren. Let him fucking get out of here in some noise.

Is an alligator filled Moat an option?? I really want one of those.......or maybe a pair og Dobermans like the ones from Magnum P.I. to patrol the yard!

Really though, another "Barkier" dog would be a good suppliment to the security system.

Maybe if the Break-in room w/ the glass doors, (your weak link) was also empty, besides 1 wooden chair, w/ wrist and leg straps, bolted to the floor, and the room lined top to bottom in plastic tarps?? Splash a little blood around??.....see if he goes any further than THAT!!!!!!

Plus, then if he DID, you would already have a nice place for him to sit while you enquire unto his motivations for disturbing your sleep.

Yep.

Yep

...and he is comming back.

On the agenda today is to get ADT back to install a glass breakage in that room and an outdoor siren. Let him fucking get out of here in some noise.

Here's the thing about ADT in washington. Apparently the scenario they trump up to scare women in their commercials is something they actually set in motion once:

Teresa Rucshner, individually and as a guardian ad litem for minor rape victim MH, appeals the trial court's summary judgment dismissal of her negligent hiring action against defendants Puget Sound Protection; ADT Security Systems, Inc.; and American Security Services, LLC. Rucshner argues that the defendants owed and breached a duty of care by failing to perform a criminal **273 background check on an employee, Michael Robinson,1 who raped 14–year–old MH two months after he met her while making a PSP sales call at her home. PSP argues that the trial court properly dismissed Rucshner's negligent hiring *669 action against PSP because (1) PSP did not violate any duty to MH that proximately caused her injuries, (2) PSP's actions were not a proximate cause of Robinson's criminal conduct toward MH, and (3) PSP did not have a duty to control Robinson at the time that Robinson assaulted MH.2

¶ 2 Holding that there remains an issue of material fact as to whether there was a causal connection between PSP's hiring Robinson without conducting a criminal background check and his rape of MH, we reverse the summary judgment dismissal of Rucshner's negligent hiring action against PSP and remand for trial. We affirm the trial court's summary judgment dismissal of Rucshner's action against defendants ADT and American Security Services.

Rucshner v. ADT, Sec. Sys., Inc., 149 Wash. App. 665, 668-69, 204 P.3d 271, 272-73 (2009)

Is an alligator filled Moat an option??

It may be hard to set up after each break-in but this would be my security system

09282012_boulder.jpg

That one didn't work either.

Is an alligator filled Moat an option??

It may be hard to set up after each break-in but this would be my security system

09282012_boulder.jpg

That one didn't work either.

As long as its just meth heads trying to break in it will. I don't have anything smart ass PHD archaeologists would want anyways

I make rounds every night to make sure all doors and windows are locked. Then check that my firearms and flashlight are where I can find them in a dead sleep.

Yep.

Good to be in the habit of making sure everything is locked up.

The wife and kid used to roll their eyes at me for insisting that all doors and windows are always locked.

Then we had neighbors get robbed and old Dad doesn't seem so stupid any more.

Heres a related question, what are you guys using for sighting on these HD weapons? Assuming a longarm, im looking at a red dot or a strobing flashlight/laser like the Streamlight TLR2. Suggestions for HD ranges? Im thinking the light/laser would be best for target ID.

I use RDS on many of my rifles, Aimpoint mostly. My S12 wears an Aimpoint as well. Everything is cowitnessed with the irons in case the RDS goes down. My "go to" weapons all wear Surefire weaponlights in case things go bump in the night although I probably would not light it up as I can see in my house pretty good at night. Lights work two ways IMO if the intruder is armed.

Heres a related question, what are you guys using for sighting on these HD weapons? Assuming a longarm, im looking at a red dot or a strobing flashlight/laser like the Streamlight TLR2. Suggestions for HD ranges? Im thinking the light/laser would be best for target ID.

Lights work two ways IMO if the intruder is armed.

Which is the idea behind the strobe, correct?

Assuming your apt enough not to stand still...

If someone is strobing me, I'm shooting at the strobe. Same with a non-strobing light. Ever hear of the FBI flashlight hold method? There is a reason behind it.

• Like 2

on any HD weapon I have irons, going to put in a tritium front site and maybe rear, and on my AR I have a cowitnessed EOTech, stream light mounted in front of FSB on top rail, doesn't interfere with sites and also doesn't throw shadows like an under/side mounted light.

...but really just like the 9mm vs the .40 S&W thread, the only viable option for a handgun is a .500 S&W or designing an AR to shoot .338 Lap mag, anything else just doesn't properly work (only joking)

If someone is strobing me, I'm shooting at the strobe. Same with a non-strobing light. Ever hear of the FBI flashlight hold method? There is a reason behind it.

I'm certain situations vary.. and I'm probably missing something. But my mind set is if I light you up, strobe or otherwise inside my house and your not supposed to be there.. the next flash will have a distinctly more "yellow" quality to it.

on any HD weapon I have irons, going to put in a tritium front site and maybe rear, and on my AR I have a cowitnessed EOTech, stream light mounted in front of FSB on top rail, doesn't interfere with sites and also doesn't throw shadows like an under/side mounted light.

...but really just like the 9mm vs the .40 S&W thread, the only viable option for a handgun is a .500 S&W or designing an AR to shoot .338 Lap mag, anything else just doesn't properly work (only joking)

I have a 2.55" cannon set up to activate on motion, firing 1/2lb tanerite loaded shells at 1100fps.. not sure it's adaquate. But better than nothing.

Did i mention it has a laser?!!

Edited by poolingmyignorance

FWIW, he's already got his plan to gether and has made his decisions.

I figure most HD plans are like budgets and diets and exercise plans. For the most part they all work if you work them and stick to them. The more elaborate the plan the less likely you are to keep it up. Someone might have a marginally better system, but who cares? It's what you are willing to do, not them.

As far as HD weapons are concerned (if all else has failed and you're at last resort), I'm actually a fan of the gool 'ol fashioned revolver. It excells in a few areas. 1) it's simplistic operation means that any family member can become proficient with it with little training. 2) It WILL be reliable. 3) It is not ammo sensitive. 4) You are not likely to require more than 6 shots in home (getting to your more armed and secured "safe room"). and lastly, but a biggie... 5) When/if you ever have to use it, you will look like a saint compared to someone using ANY type of firearm the media deems "assult type" or military-esque.

I prefer to set up a "safe area" (which has better protection, armaments, etc). Pistol is my choice to GET to that area (more mobile, free hand when needed, easier to corner w/o announcing your entry), then shotgun for safe room, then rifle in safe room near (inaccessible by ground) window in case of perimeter patrol.

I know it's counter intuitive when well armed, but ALWAYS retreat into a well known (to you), safe area. The courts do NOT look kindly upon "defensive aggression". Also make sure there is a fully charged cell phone and a drop ladder in your safe room. Just my .02