My FFL just got 6 more Saiga 7.62x39s in, but I can only afford 1. Well, maybe 2 if I put off buying a Hi-Point 995TS. Really would like to get one though as they've been scarce around here for a while.

A Hi Point?

Really?

Go for the Saigas!!!!

The thing is though, I already have Saigas in 12, 308, 223 and 7.62x39 and will soon have a second one in that. I passed up a 995TS about nine months ago and haven't found another yet, until now.

The 995TS is on my list as well. Don't knock it til ya try it!

I agree 100%. I went with the crowd and disdained them for a long time myself, but then researched them. Rugged, accurate, cheap, if a bit homely. Sounds good to me.

What about a Kel-Tec KSG?

I have nothing against Kel-Tec but think my S12 is better suited to my needs than a KSG.

• Like 1

With what you have already, I'd get a Saiga and the 995TS. Two Saigas would probably be a better investment, but you gotta buy what you want, not what everyone else thinks you should. The Hipoint is homely, but it is reliable, cheaper than the Saiga, and fun to shoot. I would definitely pick up some high capacity mags with it right off the bat. I believe they will be the first thing to go if any sort of GC legislation is passed, and the pistol carbines definitely get majorly neutered with standard capacity pistol mags. Enjoy

• Like 2

If you are rounding out a collection then the Hi-Point 995TS makes sense.

If you are looking to maximize your investment in firepower, then the Saiga x39 makes much more sense.

Edited by Spartacus

My Saiga collection will grow once the 5.45s start coming back in again and once I piece together enough money for a x39 too. But having said that, I don't know what people are saying about the 995TS being ugly, I like that thing. I'd say get an x39 and the 995TS. Saigas will come, whether it will be legal to convert them anymore will be another story, but they will come

With what you have already, I'd get a Saiga and the 995TS. Two Saigas would probably be a better investment, but you gotta buy what you want, not what everyone else thinks you should. The Hipoint is homely, but it is reliable, cheaper than the Saiga, and fun to shoot. I would definitely pick up some high capacity mags with it right off the bat. I believe they will be the first thing to go if any sort of GC legislation is passed, and the pistol carbines definitely get majorly neutered with standard capacity pistol mags. Enjoy

I agree. Of course if I had the money to snag 20 or 30 Saigas I think I'd do it. The up and down availability is a real pain.

The major drawback of the Hi-Point is the only semi-high capacity (15 round) is a Promag. I don't like to slam anyone's products but Promag is an exception to that rule. I've had several and it's always a coin toss as to whether they would function correctly or not. The annual rumor is out about Hi-Point building their own but that comes up nearly every year and nothing ever comes of it. They do have a nifty little two mag holder that fits on the stock though.

I didn't want sell my Glock 22 RMR'D but I have it in Gunbroker with a bid of $1400.

I was going to use $1200 to buy a New KSG and have a few hundred left over for ammo.

Hopefully you can sell the Glock and get what you want. Again, if money were no object, I wouldn't mind having a KSG. Still, if I ever get another 12 gauge it'll probably be a Stoeger coach gun. I just love the look of side by side doubles.

• Like 1

Get the Saiga and the SUB 2K. You can get the 50 round drum for the 9MM SUB 2K........

(Mini Review) Well, last week I finally got to do a side by side of the 995TS and the Sub2000 and came to the conclusion that I prefer the 995 hands down. It's probably just me, but the Sub felt flimsy and insubstantial compared to the Hi-Point. When I folded it, the two halves were off almost a quarter inch. I had to push them to get it to latch and they pushed pretty easily. I got the impression I could snap the gun in two without too much effort. The Hi-Point may be less than attractive but it feels solid as hell and from what I've read is just as accurate and probably more reliable in cycling than the Sub. It would also win as a club IMHO. Kudos to Kel-Tec for innovation, but I've never cared for folders in the first place so that didn't figure in as a positive, for me at least.

I mistakenly went to the Cedar Rapids gun show at 5:00 PM (opening time) today and immediately turned around and left. The line was over a block long so I'll go back tomorrow. I appreciate all the input immensely but will attempt to snag my 2nd 7.62x39 Saiga and will go with the 995.

Ain't it nice to talk about guns for a change?

• Like 1

Get the saigas. For a 9mm carbine... Go with the sub2k or build a 9mm AR.

I'll be getting one of the Saigas.

As to building an AR.....I'm going to do my first one as my next project. I've now waited patiently well over a year for Saiga (or Vepr) to bring out a 6.5 Grendel . Saiga appears to be in chaos currently since they aren't building anything and while I've seen pictures of a Vepr 6.5, availability in the US is still unknown. Time to move on, for me. I'll be building a Grendel from the ground up in order to get familiar with the platform. Since I would have to modify a Saiga or Vepr to get what I wanted anyway, I think I can build an AR for about the same price. That's the theory, anyway.

The saiga and the 9mm will cost about the same to shoot.

I have a first gen 995 and it is alright. They work much better than a lot of popular guns, and take a lot of trash talking. It was problem free until the stud that the charging handle is pressed into came loose and seized the receiver. It is fairly accurate, and never misfeeds. I just found that it is the only gun I own that I can get bored with. It is also absurdly difficult to do a thorough cleaning on. Best practice is just to clean the barrel and wipe out the rest without removing the top cover. The new style ones are much nicer, but I would still prefer the keltek that takes glock magazines. I don't even own a glock, and I think that is a selling point.

All things equal, I would much rather have a 5.45 that you can shoot for less money than a 9mm. Even if you choose to leave it as a sporter that seems like a clear win.

The saiga and the 9mm will cost about the same to shoot.

I have a first gen 995 and it is alright. They work much better than a lot of popular guns, and take a lot of trash talking. It was problem free until the stud that the charging handle is pressed into came loose and seized the receiver. It is fairly accurate, and never misfeeds. I just found that it is the only gun I own that I can get bored with. It is also absurdly difficult to do a thorough cleaning on. Best practice is just to clean the barrel and wipe out the rest without removing the top cover. The new style ones are much nicer, but I would still prefer the keltek that takes glock magazines. I don't even own a glock, and I think that is a selling point.

All things equal, I would much rather have a 5.45 that you can shoot for less money than a 9mm. Even if you choose to leave it as a sporter that seems like a clear win.

Thanks. Boredom with a firearm for me almost invariably involves a 22. I agree on disassembly but truthfully, cleaning guns isn't my strong suit anyway. I keep them well lubed so they don't rust but generally not in pristine condition other than the barrel/magazines. If it's a good design, it shouldn't need much more than that.

I also agree on hi-cap mags being a plus for the Kel-Tec but honestly believe it's the only one. After handling the Sub I doubt I'll ever own one. It just didn't seem robust in the least.

A 5.45 is fine but ammo cost is a secondary consideration and 9mm is plenty cheap enough anyway. I would be more apt to consider one but the wife shoots a lot too and doesn't care for my 223 nearly as much as my Ruger PC4. I haven't shot a 5.45 but doubt there is enough difference between it and the 223 to make her like it any better. I'll also admit to an affinity for pistol caliber carbines both for HD and plinking.

I probably shouldn't be thinking about it just yet, but I love to tinker and have a few ideas already on stuffing a double stack magazine into that pistol grip. Even if I screw it up it wouldn't be the end of the world. After all, it's just a Hi-Point.

thanks alot tim! laugh.png

i had my heart set on a mec tec ccu with a glock 9mm i had planned to buy at around june, but thanks to you, i'll probably be buying one of these too! seriously though,not to bad looking, and it looks they're actually AVAILABLE. i'll still probably get the ccu though. i can't wait for the saiga 9

do you happen to know what kind of magazine they take? i probably missed it but i did't see.

i had my heart set on a mec tec ccu with a glock 9mm i had planned to buy at around june, but thanks to you, i'll probably be buying one of these too! seriously though,not to bad looking, and it looks they're actually AVAILABLE. i'll still probably get the ccu though. i can't wait for the saiga 9

do you happen to know what kind of magazine they take? i probably missed it but i did't see.

Sorry. I seriously thought about a Beretta CX4 9mm but the price was prohibitive, for me at least. You could basically get three Hi-Points instead. I don't care how ugly they are (beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway) it's impossible to be that ugly. It looks to me like the Mech Tech could get pricy in a hurry too. If you go that route, be careful.

Hi-Points come with 10 round single stack mags (9 rounds in 45) but do have a dual mag holder that fits on the stock. Rumor is, yet again, that the factory will be introducing higher capacity mags next year. Don't hold your breath on that one though as it has been supposed to happen several times and never has.

Other than that the only aftermarket sorta hi-cap is ProMag which holds 15. Problem there, as is typical of ProMag, you never know if it'll function correctly or not. I bought a 20 rounder for my Ruger PC4 that has functioned flawlessly from day one. I was so happy with it that I ordered another one a few years later. For some reason it was 'redesigned' somewhat. The mag release slot is visibly higher, causing it to sit too low to reliably feed every time. I threw it in my junk drawer rather than sending it back and vowed to never buy another ProMag. So far, I've kept that promise.

Edited by TacticoolTim

I've got the 4095 Hi-Point and love that lil' bastard! I have the camo stock and a bunch of mags for it. I also have the optional compensator on it. Didn't kick in the first place, but it looks so much more tacticool in an ugly/ cool sort of fashion. I tapped the stock and mounted a mini rail on the bottom of the front of the stock to put a light on her. That sucker eats anything I throw at it. It's a cheap pistol carbine that's pretty darn rugged, 100% American made, cheap in price ( paid under $200.00 brand new for it a few years back), has one of the if not the best firearms warranties I've ever heard of, is blow back operated like a MK 19 with a huge bolt, and pretty damn accurate easily out past 50 yrds (remember, it's a pistol cartridge!). I like to have pistols and rifles in the same caliber.

I had the exact same carbine in black before the camo one that I sold to a friend, and that sucker was just as accurate. I got a cheap Barska red dot on her that ain't failed yet with tons of shooting. The irons that came with it are tough as nails also. I love shooting that little bastard!

post-8269-0-27597500-1352531036_thumb.jpg

Edited by fffpatriot
  • Like 1

Sorry. I seriously thought about a Beretta CX4 9mm but the price was prohibitive, for me at least. You could basically get three Hi-Points instead. I don't care how ugly they are (beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway) it's impossible to be that ugly. It looks to me like the Mech Tech could get pricy in a hurry too. If you go that route, be careful.

Hi-Points come with 10 round single stack mags (9 rounds in 45) but do have a dual mag holder that fits on the stock. Rumor is, yet again, that the factory will be introducing higher capacity mags next year. Don't hold your breath on that one though as it has been supposed to happen several times and never has.

Other than that the only aftermarket sorta hi-cap is ProMag which holds 15. Problem there, as is typical of ProMag, you never know if it'll function correctly or not. I bought a 20 rounder for my Ruger PC4 that has functioned flawlessly from day one. I was so happy with it that I ordered another one a few years later. For some reason it was 'redesigned' somewhat. The mag release slot is visibly higher, causing it to sit too low to reliably feed every time. I threw it in my junk drawer rather than sending it back and vowed to never buy another ProMag. So far, I've kept that promise.

ATI makes a nice stock for the Hi-Point and it closely resembles a Beretta CX4. had one of those yrs ago....very good little rifles, dependable and durable.

Edited by adjc

ATI makes a nice stock for the Hi-Point and it closely resembles a Beretta CX4. had one of those yrs ago....very good little rifles, dependable and durable.

It's stated the ATI stock won't fit the TS model. I could probably make it fit but seriously think the Hi-Point can stand on it's own. We'll see soon enough.

Just got back from the gun show in CR and admittance has gone from 6 to 7 dollars. I knew I should have printed off the $1.00 off coupons on line. Oh well. But, I am now the proud owner of another 7.62x39 Saiga. Didn't get the Hi-Point yet because my regular FFL promised me he could beat the price I found a 995TS for (260). I'll wait a few days to see if I can save 20-30 bucks.

Briefly, the gunshow was considerably more crowded than usual, but talking to numerous dealers, they said sales weren't up at all. Not surprising, because prices damn sure were. It seems a lot of people are trying to cash in on the panic buying and consumers weren't having any of it. At least not this time. Round one to the little guys!

• Like 1

What are your plans for the new one? If they are anything like the Americanized version you did, then we all have some awesome posts to be expecting from ya beer.gif

Well, it is indeed gonna be another Automatic Kalashnikov American, but with a twist. I'm going to attempt to bleach a Zebrawood stock getting it as close to white/gray as possible and maybe even whitewash it with diluted paint if necessary. I'll also Duracoat all the metal parts gray too. If it turns out (don't know if it will) it should be an eye popper. A natural camouflage Winter Issue AKA is what I'm going to try for.

However, I PROMISE not to put a wood stock on the Hi-Point when I get it. That just wouldn't be right.

• Like 1

However, I PROMISE not to put a wood stock on the Hi-Point when I get it. That just wouldn't be right.

I double dog dare ya

Hmmm.... I do have a 10/22 stock laying around not doing anything. I wonder.....

I agree 100%. I went with the crowd and disdained them for a long time myself, but then researched them. Rugged, accurate, cheap, if a bit homely. Sounds good to me.

Rugged, accurate, cheap, if a bit homely... sounds like my ex!

Edited by slippingaway
  • Like 1