Olympic Arms Tells New York State & Fraternal Order of Police

Leaves open the question of why the other manufactures haven’t followed suit and told them to shove it.

Couldn’t help but notice the type guns and mags the government says we don’t need were in very wide use by cops in California recently.

And they clearly demonstrated why cops are the only ones qualified to responsibly use assault weapons.

• Like 1
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just an FYI, Olympic Arms was THE pioneer in the development of the AR-15 aftermarket. Back in the 80's, you didn't have many choices for parts and guns. It was basically Olympic or Colt. Colt had

Seriously, I think the list of companies that stand up for our (and their) rights should be stickied/pinned(?). Lest we forget.

Followed the links through that story covering the 7.62x39 pistols. There was a link to the MARS AK pistol info. Wow, look how badly made these guns look. The receiver looks like it was bent with a hammer. The barrel looks like it's welded into the trunnion rather than pinning.

http://www.thegunzone.com/bwest.html

Followed the links through that story covering the 7.62x39 pistols. There was a link to the MARS AK pistol info. Wow, look how badly made these guns look. The receiver looks like it was bent with a hammer. The barrel looks like it's welded into the trunnion rather than pinning.

http://www.thegunzone.com/bwest.html

Looks like epoxy but it must be a weld. beaten.gif

Just went to the Ruger site and found a "tell the CEO" area. Just shot him a "do not sell to NY LE" comment. Suggest you all do the same!

Let's write all the manufacturers!

big_smile.gif

Thank you for this information, I have just done the same and received this after submission:

Thank you for your submission and for participating in the Ruger Voice of the Customer Program!

I promise I will read every comment sent to me this way. I get so many, however, that I cannot answer them or I wouldn't get anything else done. But I have read every one so far and I really appreciate hearing from you. I share them with other people at Ruger too; we have received many good ideas - frankly more than we can engineer in a lifetime - and we want to keep them coming. We're listening to you, and we'll use your best ideas.

Too bad Colt hates civilians. Imagine getting Colt to turn down government contracts.

OF course the government would most likely just go to FN, HK, or Beretta - all would be happy to take US taxpayer money no matter what the circumstances are.

Damn, there's another company I'm going to have to buy an AR from.

Yes, Barret and Olympic have already put themselves on my priority buy list. This keeps going and I will be broke! ... But happy!

Good companies!

I absolutely LOVED Barret's letter... Much more of a FUCK OFF tone. A guy I used to work with bought his SECOND M82 the day it was published...

I think it deserves another go 'round!

edit: got the right letter now! smile.png It's wordy, but great!

edit again: CRAP.. The guy has so many good letters telling CA to fuck off that it's hard finding the right one! I left the second wrong one in place because it's also awesome...

HERE IS THE ONE I WAS THINKING OF...

"Chief William J. Bratton

Los Angeles Police Department

150 North Los Angeles Street

Re: LAPD 82A Rifle, Serial No. 11**

Dear Chief Bratton,

I, a U.S. citizen, own Barrett Firearms Mfg. Inc., and for 20 years I have built .50 caliber rifles for my fellow citizens, for their Law Enforcement departments and for their nation's armed forces.

You may be aware of the latest negative misinformation campaign from a Washington based anti-gun group, the Violence Policy Center. The VPC has, for three or so years, been unsuccessful in Washington, D.C. trying to demonize and ban a new subclass of firearms, the .50 caliber and other "too powerful" rifles. This type of nibbling process has been historically successful in civilian disarmament of other nations governed by totalitarian and other regimes less tolerant of individual rights than the United States .

The VPC's most recent efforts directs this misinformation campaign at your state, attempting to get any California body to pass any law against .50 caliber firearms. In March 2002 the VPC caused the California State Assembly, Public Safety Committee to consider and reject the issue by a 5 to 0 with 1 abstaining vote.

Regrettably, the same material has been presented to your city council. I personally attended the council meeting in Los Angeles regarding attempts to bar ownership of the .50 caliber rifle in your city. I was allowed to briefly address the council. The tone of the discussion was mostly emotionally based, so the facts that I attempted to provide were ineffective to the extent they were heard at all. The council voted to have the city attorney draft an ordinance to ban the .50, and further, to instruct the city's representatives in Sacramento and in Washington D.C. to push for bans at their respective levels.

At that council meeting, I was very surprised to see an LAPD officer seated front and center with a Barrett 82A1 .50 cal rifle. It was the centerpiece of the discussion. As you know, there have been no crimes committed with these rifles, and most importantly, current California law does not allow the sale of the M82AI in the state because of its detachable magazine and features that make it an "assault weapon." This rifle was being deceptively used by your department. The officer portrayed it as a sample of a currently available .50 cal rifle, available for sale to the civilians of Los Angeles. One councilman even questioned how this rifle was available under current laws, but as I stated, facts were ineffective that day.

Your officer, speaking for the LAPD, endorsed the banning of this rifle and its ammunition. Then he used the rifle for photo ops with the Councilmen each of whom, in handling the firearm, may have been committing a felony. I was amazed.

Since 1968, with the closing of the U.S. Springfield Amory, all of the small arms produced for the various government agencies are from the private sector. Every handgun, rifle or shotgun that law enforcement needs comes from this firearms industry. Unless the City of Los Angeles has plans of setting up its own firearms manufacturing, it may need to guard the manufacturing sources it has now.

When I returned to my office from Los Angeles, I found an example of our need for mutual cooperation. Your department had sent one of your 82A1 rifles in to us for service. All of my knowledge in the use of my rifle in the field of law enforcement had been turned upside down by witnessing how your department used yours. Not to protect and serve, but for deception, photo opportunities, and to further an ill-conceived effort that may result in the use of LA taxpayer monies to wage losing political battles in Washington against civil liberties regarding gun ownership.

Please excuse my slow response on the repair service of the rifle. I am battling to what service I am repairing the rifle for. I will not sell, nor service, my rifles to those seeking to infringe upon the Constitution and the crystal clear rights it affords individuals to own firearms.

I implore you to investigate the facts of the .50, to consider the liberties of the law-abiding people and our mutual coexistence, and to change your department's position on this issue.

Sincerely,

BARRETT FIREARMS MANUFACTURING, INC.

Ronnie Barrett

President"

And the second one...

"Dear Fellow Citizens

In the never-ending battle to destroy our constitution, more "big lie" propaganda is being dumped on our elected officials. The rhetoric given forth by the Violence

Policy Center (VPC) so easily deceived the legislators of California, resulting in the banning of fifty caliber rifles because they are powerful and their bullets punch holes when they strike. Even single shot .50 cal rifles were banned. It's hard to believe we live in such a dark time that someone has actually banned a single shot rifle. But as you will see, this is the cleverest of all gun bans, and the end goal is civilian disarmament, the confiscation of your tools of liberty, your rifles.

What lies before us is the continuation of the misinformation campaign, trying to coax yet another state to infringe upon the U.S. Constitution as California did. The anti-freedom/anti-gun movement has discovered how transparent they appear when they propose sweeping gun bans and now are successful by biting off a little at a time. Ever so small, many politicians are trading off your rights without you recognizing their violations.

First we had the "Saturday Night Special" which was all affordable handguns, then "sniper rifles" which were any scoped deer rifles. Those were obvious, too big a scam to go unnoticed, but with the creation and demonization of the term "assault weapon," the Clinton's Crime bill produced a wasted 10-year setback on your freedoms and safe gun design. Now comes another scam. This time they are shocked to discover that rifles are "accurate and powerful."

This is the same bull the officials in the 1950's fell for when they banned the self-unfolding knife. First the knife was demonized by giving it an evil name, "switchblade," then we (the trusting public) were told that the problem of gang violence was solved with its banning. How ridiculous. It's surprising they didn't ban the leather jacket. In reality, gang violence was and is a serious social problem, but it was not related to manually unfolding verses self-unfolding knives. The elected officials voting to ban an object like a knife proved themselves unwilling or uncaring to understand the problem, and thus, incapable of any real solutions.

The handful of people that make up the VPC are solely responsible for the big lie on .50's, claiming fantastic destruction capabilities. They manipulate fear by claiming terrorists will use these rifles on targets of our infrastructure. "They will shut down our airports in flames" they claim. VPC's Tom Diaz refers to them as "super guns" lying to his dupable group of politicians, concealing the facts that there are many rifle cartridges that are comparable in performance (those will be added to the list in phase two). He is boldly telling these officials (and all who will listen) that the risk of terrorist attacks on these targets will be solved with the banning of powerful rifles, in this case, the .50 caliber rifle. In reality, terrorism is complex and will be defeated with improved intelligence. In this instance, the officials voting to ban an inanimate object like a rifle prove themselves to be ignorant of the problem of terrorism and are wasting time and resources.

You must understand the brilliance of this dangerous back door deception. Your politicians are being told that the fifty is a highly destructive cartridge that can destroy airplanes, fuel transport trucks and depot storages of fuel. They show videos like the one on 60 Minutes showing a 1/2 inch plate of steel being pierced by a .50 cal round while stopping a .308 caliber. This is all to confuse the people, those with little exposure to firearms; their impression concludes that the .50 punches holes in sensitive targets where other rifles cannot. Had they shot actual aluminum that is used on airplane construction, or aluminum or steel used in actual transport or tank construction, both the .50 and the .308 will pierce along with most all centerfire cartridges. But this, they must keep secret.

First, with the confusion of massive, (although incorrect) technical data and the hammering of urgency, the VPC demands a ban or strict regulations on rifles that chamber a cartridge that has the ability to penetrate targets. Sound ridiculous? It is.

VPC's Tom Diaz appears often on TV with maps of Washington, DC, irresponsibly instructing where to position one's self to illegally fire on vulnerable important targets of our government, promising these specific targets will be safe when .50's are banned. He pressures politicians to act quickly on this URGENT legislation needed to make these terrorist targets safe, hoping they will act before the VPC lies are discovered.

Now slow down. A ban on a rifle because the cartridge it shoots penetrates targets? By the legislation naming and defining the targets that are damageable by rifle fire, and in this case, .50 cal. rifle fire, they create a new class of rifles. This new class is not defined by such foolishness as detachable magazines, flash hiders, or pistol grips. Instead, the test is; does it fire a bullet that punches a hole, and can the hole result in damage to specified and named targets? If so, the law-abiding citizen shouldn't be allowed to have this, so they must ban this class of rifle before they can be misused. This is the very thing California has just passed!

"Now, we are only talking about those powerful .50 cals, right? It's such a small class, no one will mind or even notice." That's what the VPC's lies have lead you to believe. No, remember they are banning rifles because specific targets named in our infrastructure are susceptible to damage. Now tell me, what centerfire rifle cartridge won't punch holes in those targets? What centerfire rifle cartridge is not powerful? Not many or not any? So, in order to comply with the spirit and intent of the law, the Attorney General or State Secretary must add those cartridges to the banned list. The big lie is exposed. They aren't just talking about .50's. They're after your hunting rifles, centerfire target rifles-just about any rifle you own.

Unlike California, we cannot allow any of our local, state, or federal officials to be deceived with any of this "big lie" gun control propaganda. The U.S. has every gun law that could possibly be needed. Virtually every real world scenario of firearm abuse is already covered in some law that is currently on the books.

Many of you have inquired as to the outcome of the letter I wrote to Police Chief Bratten of the LAPD. Unfortunately, the chief's position did not change. He continued to use his officers in the same deceptive practices formerly utilized with the city council. These few officers testifying in Sacramento ultimately contributed to the unconstitutional AB50 law being passed. It saddened me to have to tell members of the LAPD SWAT team that they would have to send someone for their rifle, because I refused to assist anyone or any organization that is in violation of the United States Constitution. In turn, the department arranged to pick up their un-serviced rifle.

Barrett cannot legally sell any of its products to lawbreakers. Therefore, since California's passing of AB50, the state is not in compliance with the US Constitution's 2nd and 14th Amendments, and we will not sell nor service any of our products to any government agency of the State of California.

I appreciate all the phone calls and e-mails from LAPD officers and civilians during that time, encouraging and supporting our actions. We shall see if other firearms companies will follow this path. I know many are corporately owned and feel like they are unable to risk the life of their company for the liberties of our nation, but if we lose our Republic, our freedom, what good is any of it? I am in the proud and fortunate position that many of our forefathers were in when they risked all for our liberties.

"Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -Patrick Henry

This "ban large bore" insanity failed in Washington years ago, but that didn't discourage the VPC. Now it's resurfacing in city council meetings, in individual states, and it's being reintroduced in Washington. NRA-ILA Executive Director, Chris Cox, once told me "These (anti-freedom, anti-gun) guys never go away, and they never quit."

I've received thousands of e-mails and letters from you offering encouragement and support. Our Republic, our liberty, needs and demands your support. You must take action to guard your rights. First, find your State Senator and State Representative. Tell them not to fall for this scam. This lie depends on the elected official being naive about firearms and their capabilities. Stand ready to carry this same message to your U.S. Senator and Representatives. Know all of your elected officials' positions on gun issues. DO NOT ELECT ANY ANTI-GUN PERSON TO ANY POSITION!

Position yourself with me in the battles that we must fight. You need to join the NRA, the Fifty Caliber Shooters' Association, and the NSSF in order to stay informed. These people have been with me in the trenches, fighting for every inch of the liberty you enjoy.

Today we draw a line; there will be no more nibbling at our freedom. Today you stand idle no longer. Today you do something to save our country!

Ronnie Barrett Owner and CEO Barrett Firearms Manufacturing, Inc."

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 2

I wrote Glock, Sig, S&W, and Ruger today. Thanks all for sharing the links.

I also reported this thread to the mods in hope that there will be a sticky listing the manufacturers that are standing by "us" in a big way.

I so very hope that Armalite will get a dog in this fight soon as I am desperately trying to hand them money for their AR-10!

I think an email is in order...

edit: Email sent:

"As a proud firearms owner and (desperately?) perspective Armalite customer, I really hope you as a company are willing to make the public stand that your competitors are already making. The gun buying public is watching and eager to support manufacturers who stand by our side, arms locked, in an unmistakable display of unity. Please help us support our freedom and help us help you!

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/85455-olympic-arms-tells-new-york-state-fraternal-order-of-police/"

Edited by Maxwelhse
Too bad Colt hates civilians. Imagine getting Colt to turn down government contracts.

OF course the government would most likely just go to FN, HK, or Beretta - all would be happy to take US taxpayer money no matter what the circumstances are.

Well I do agree, but HK would likely be the ones to do it first as they already shit on civilians as it is.

I like that, does anybody own one of their ar's i own two and half bushies, i think i might buy a lower and show support for them. well just went to there web sight. i guess it will be awhile. JFC. damn vultures

Edited by mpoppel41
I like that, does anybody own one of their ar's i own two and half bushies, i think i might buy a lower and show support for them.

The only negative press about them I've seen is that Hitler parody video. Otherwise, I thought they were a well respect manufacturer?

Seriously, I think the list of companies that stand up for our (and their) rights should be stickied/pinned(?). Lest we forget.

this has been reported, so as there are a number of people who liked the post I'll answer publicly.

I don't feel there is a need for a stickied post as

1: as I've seen from my own product review contest stickies are often ignored.

2: people still remember Rugers actions from the 94 ban, so who forgets?

How does HK shit on civilians?

They are geared around department / government sales. Not sure how it is now, but they have a history of no sales to "civilians" of mags or fireams. That, and they are believers of their own press - they are too proud of their products.

It's an HK prices for Cetme products scenario..

That - and wasn't it Brian West (Prescott, AZ) who screwed the pooch on steel core 7.62x39 in 1989? I seem to recall that he made two pistols and sent one off to the TECH branch for an approval letter. That's when some genious there make the connection between "steel core" and "armour piercing" and declared both guns contriband. He did some other screwy stuff, (Un-marked Norinco receivers imported that he marked as US made.), but I remember that fiasco.

+1 for Olympic.... They have been innovators and supportes since the public interest in "black rifles" bagan!!!!

Macbeau sends....

this has been reported, so as there are a number of people who liked the post I'll answer publicly.

I don't feel there is a need for a stickied post as

2: people still remember Rugers actions from the 94 ban, so who forgets?

Thanks for the explanation Nailbomb and I know what you're saying. However, I'm unfamiliar with your product review contest and concerning Ruger, people never forget the bad. The good though, we have a tendency to let fade.

I'm unfamiliar with your product review contest

My point exactly.

021.gif

Uh, was I supposed to review a product while following the stickies and somehow missed out on that?

Who the the LE/government agencies in these states get their firearms from? Don't most departments get their guns from local dealers, that in turn get tgem from distributors? Maybe finding and hounding these dealers would be another option.

Actually, from Squishy's post on the chicago government and PD, it would seem that that the most prudent move to get the guns out of all criminal hands, is to keep those guns out of the hands of the LEOs in that city!

Who the the LE/government agencies in these states get their firearms from? Don't most departments get their guns from local dealers, that in turn get tgem from distributors? Maybe finding and hounding these dealers would be another option.

"Basically", very basically.......Gov. does not have to purchase locally. There are very strict laws which dictate government procurement at all levels. A department/ purchasing agent writes a set of specifications for an item, then the purchasing agent seeks bids for the item in question, companies are welcome to submit their bid proposals, then the contract to purchase the item is awarded, based on meeting the original specs. and lowest cost. Please note that government procurement can be very complicated, as there are varrious types of bid processes and various types of contracts. Now 10 to 1 says an actuall procurement agent on this forum will come in and debunk everything I just wrote laugh.png

"Basically", very basically.......Gov. does not have to purchase locally. There are very strict laws which dictate government procurement at all levels. A department/ purchasing agent writes a set of specifications for an item, then the purchasing agent seeks bids for the item in question, companies are welcome to submit their bid proposals, then the contract to purchase the item is awarded, based on meeting the original specs. and lowest cost. Please note that government procurement can be very complicated, as there are varrious types of bid processes and various types of contracts. Now 10 to 1 says an actuall procurement agent on this forum will come in and debunk everything I just wrote laugh.png

No debunking here, but I wonder, if they will not sell to LEs, does this mean they will not sell to a procurement agency that then supplies the LEs? Will they, in their bid, find out which agency it is going to? Will they just avoid selling to state government all together? I haven't done the research, obviously, and do not wish to doubt the contribution these dealers are making, but I figure its better to find out and know, than to learn later that I was wrong.