FUBARed Romak

I have a friend on another forum thinking about trading a guitar for a romak, he says it's all in good condition, aside from the owners attempt at converting it to double stack.

I definitely don't think it's worth the trade, but is it repairable?

post-38542-0-41158600-1361136411_thumb.jpg

post-38542-0-04785600-1361136418_thumb.jpg

its obvious the previous owner fell asleep with the dremel on. possibly a narcoleptic.

It will make a nice Romy G parts kit now. Worth a cheaper guitar - maybe $300 range?

edit: the front trunnion is garbage too.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 2

This is a good start for what Obama / Fienstien / Boxer and Sara Brady want to do to all of our AK's....

This guy definitely has a bright future in the upcoming national "firearm deactivation" program!

010.gif

Edited by macbeau
  • Like 2

Now all the people complaining about old century builds just need to shut up.

Option C: cut it out clean and square and have someone weld in a new floor cut out properly. That's what I would be doing. I am a bit surprised that so many people are saying to scrap it.

Any transferable AK is worth more than $400 right now, and that doesn't look like that hard of a job for a competent welder. Whenever I see somehing like that, I think along the lines of- Hmm I can get a plate of ~1mm steel, cut out a factory spec magwell hole, clean it up with a file. Then cut out the same pattern in the bottom. I'll see which welder I know has 30 minutes to help and I'll take him out shooting and buy him a six pack.... You do the prep work and the clean up and it is very little bother to anyone who can weld.

I also think. "Man I gotta get a welder soon."

• Like 2

Option C: cut it out clean and square and have someone weld in a new floor cut out properly. That's what I would be doing. I am a bit surprised that so many people are saying to scrap it.

Any transferable AK is worth more than $400 right now, and that doesn't look like that hard of a job for a competent welder. Whenever I see somehing like that, I think along the lines of- Hmm I can get a plate of ~1mm steel, cut out a factory spec magwell hole, clean it up with a file. Then cut out the same pattern in the bottom. I'll see which welder I know has 30 minutes to help and I'll take him out shooting and buy him a six pack.... You do the prep work and the clean up and it is very little bother to anyone who can weld.

I agree, but also make sure that the trunnion gets welded up too (or just replace the trunnion and have a welder fix the receiver).

I would agree until I saw the trunnion. It doesn't look like it would likely seat a mag properly at all at this point, even with a properly cut blank plate acting as a new magwell. Note that he completely ground down the front mag latch shelf, and even part of the bullet guide. He never completed grinding the outer walls of the trunnion.

Edited by mancat

I would agree until I saw the trunnion. It doesn't look like it would likely seat a mag properly at all at this point, even with a properly cut blank plate acting as a new magwell. Note that he completely ground down the front mag latch shelf, and even part of the bullet guide. He never completed grinding the outer walls of the trunnion.

good point. I missed that trunion- or more correctly the magazine relief was distracting enough that I forgot about it.

It is unfathomable to me how some people can't tell when to quit. I would be horrified if I made one little wobble outside my scribes lines, let alone huge gouges. I'd put down the power tools and grab a big bastard file to be safe. This looks like he was trying to ruin it.

Edited by GunFun

good point. I missed that trunion- or more correctly the magazine relief was distracting enough that I forgot about it.

It is unfathomable to me how some people can't tell when to quit. I would be horrified if I made one little wobble outside my scribes lines, let alone huge gouges. I'd put down the power tools and grab a big bastard file to be safe. This looks like he was trying to ruin it.

I had the mispleasure of looking at the photos even more closely again.. I notice now that the right-side locking lug appears to be completely ground away. That's right. It looks like the bolt is only secured by the left-side locking lug. The gun is total, complete unrecoverable trash without a new receiver and trunnion.

• Like 1