Denver Fox31 News Crew Trying To Conduct Undercover ArmsList "Stin

"Be aware that Julie Hayden and Josh Bernstein are using this site to set up meetings with honest gun owners. I was almost scammed by them. Luckily I recognized Julie and told Josh he was attempting a straw purchase of my rifle (using his producer's money along with a fake name and address).

They went by the names Chris and Cheryl when they met with me. They tried to buy 30 round magazines just outside Denver claiming they were legal residents of Clear Creek County (For those that don't know, Denver residents are prohibited from owning, buying, and keeping standard capacity mags within the city). That's why they had to try to conceal their identities and true residency. They broke SEVERAL laws while trying to make ME out to be the bad guy.

Just be aware that they are out there. If anything smells funny walk away...or point out the illegality of their activities."

http://www.armslist.com/posts/1468815/denver-colorado-handguns-for-sale--fox31-hidden-camera-crew-on-armslist

• Like 2

could be coincidence, but I have had 3 different attempts from people trying to buy my mac11/9mm in the past 2 weeks

all of them were from out of state and really worked me...one guy was more obvious he was going to drive all the way from San Fran to northern Oregon, so he says, ALL still tried to entice me with more cash if Id sell after I told them it was an illegal sale to out of state buyers & the san fran buyer said he would get a licensed Oregon friend to buy the gun

be careful out there

Recent email from our friends at RMGO (Rocky Mountain Gun Owners):

It has been brought to our attention that FOX31 reporters Julie Hayden and Josh Bernstein have been attempting to set up straw purchases via online firearm markets.

Keep an eye out for these FOX31 reporters trying to SCAM you in their "investigative reporting":

Many of our members have made us aware of these activities through a website called armslist.com.

If you are selling a firearm through this website, or any other website for that matter, please make sure that you exercise caution and your best judgment when completing a transaction.

Remember, while journalists have used these kinds of tactics in the past to paint gun owners in a negative light, they are most likely not violating any laws by doing so.

Again, make sure you are vigilant when you are conducting your firearms transactions online.

For Freedom,

Dudley Brown
Executive Director

I wish they would work as hard trying to catch and convict real and violent criminals as they do trying to frame honest gun owners, buyers and sellers. How about putting rapists and child molesters away for life without parole.

GUYS,

SOMEBODY NEEDS TO POST PICTURES OF THESE TWO ASSWIPES, SO THAT PEOPLE WILL KNOW THEM ON SIGHT.

AND YEAH, IF THEY TRY TO ENTICE YOU INTO ANYTHING OVERTLY ILLEGAL, DO YOUR BEST TO DETAIN THEM AND CALL LAW ENFORCEMENT.

WAL MART SELLS A DIGITAL RECORDER, VERY SMALL, THAT IF I RECALL CORRECTLY, WILL RUN FOR ABOUT 8HRS; $59.99.

IT'D BE WORTH THE SIXTY BUCKS TO BURN THEIR ASS TO THE GROUND.

CHECK LOCAL LAWS ON TAPING!

JESS1344

Also, if or when you do sell one of your guns to an unknown private individual, I recommend you at least get a copy of a (hopefully) valid ID, and have the transaction done at an FFL (provided there's one within a reasonable distance). Most FFL's around here only charge $10 or so to do this for you.

Let's Be Careful Out There! :up:

That is one skanky looking dyke reporter. She sure wouldn't make a news crew around here.

Also, if or when you do sell one of your guns to an unknown private individual, I recommend you at least get a copy of a (hopefully) valid ID, and have the transaction done at an FFL (provided there's one within a reasonable distance). Most FFL's around here only charge $10 or so to do this for you.

Let's Be Careful Out There! 032.gif

This is what we use on Texas Gun Trader.

• Like 1

Gotta be very careful with the online stuff. I personally have contacted 2 ads that were technically illegal. First was a fella selling an unconverted Saiga 7.62x39 with 2 30 round mags, and posted a photo of the rifle w/the 30 rounder in it. I notified him about the whole 922r thing, and how he posted a pic of a totally illegal set up. He had no idea of 922r, and promptly removed his pic, and offered the mags seperately.

Second was a woman stating that she bought her child a savage .22 but he can't shoot due to ammo shortage, and would anyone like to sell him some ammo? I again informed her that if her son is a minor, it would be completely illegal to sell him any kind of ammo. Again the post was deleted and reposted as saying "Anyone have .22 ammo for sale?"

• Like 1

Its not the online transactions that are a problem as you are operating in good faith as long as you ask for and receive ID, majority of the onus rests on the purchaser not to violate local laws.

The real problem is when these are completed in person and then are covered under local law.

Of course legal and legitimate are two words rumored not to be in the BATF vocabulary so always listen to your gut.

I wish they would work as hard trying to catch and convict real and violent criminals as they do trying to frame honest gun owners, buyers and sellers. How about putting rapists and child molesters away for life without parole.

AMEN TO THAT!

honestly, i have a bill of sale for every firearm ive sold and ive only sold to people with a CWP i even photo copy the id i also have a witness sign the bill of sale

i just dont want to get burned ive learned in life to not even trust "friends" i keep the info in my files and i never look at them

Edited by Battosaii
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like they tried to pull some illegal BS. Hopefully the ATF will make an example outta them.

Published On: Thu, Apr 18th, 2013
FOX31 Hidden Camera Crew On ARMSLIST
repost_bttn.png
fox31_logo.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=258%2C118

FOX31 Denver, CO logo

When the news media really wants to uncover something they believe is important, they have little problem putting their noses to the grindstone. They will even do what is questionable or illegal to get their story – imagine that.

Such is the case with a news team from Denver, Colorado – KDVR FOX31. The particular team in question includes, Julie Hayden (hidden camera reporter), Peter Maroney (KDVR President), Josh Bernstein (reporter), and Chris Lupenski (producer).

These individuals have been trying to buy illegal gun and gun-related items in and around the Denver area. To that end, they have stooped to using fake IDs, in the hopes of luring law-abiding citizens into the trap of making illegal sales, while the hidden camera rolls.

According to one gentleman they attempted to scam through online site Armslist, the team presented themselves to him as people interested in buying standard capacity magazines or guns. There was no visible camera, fake IDs were used, and they tried to push the seller into selling items that are fully illegal for the buyers to own because of where they actually live. Had they been successful, I’m guessing they would not have mentioned they used fake IDs, etc. in their report.

Armslist leaves it up to users to ensure their sales and/or trades are completely within the confines of the law. While I have never used Armslist, I have used Gunbroker and at least three other on-line site to purchase firearms. I’ve never encountered a problem and everything was always on the up and up. At the time, I lived in California and many individuals and dealers would not even sell to individuals in California because of all the restrictions that are in place in that state. All arms purchases must be sent to a local firearms dealer (FFL) unless the law allows otherwise.

GunControl_uAQov.jpg?zoom=1.5&resize=300It seems clear enough that the FOX31 team went out of their way to hide their true identities from the seller in order to catch the seller in what would have ultimately been an illegal transaction. They wanted to come away with a story showing how easy it is to make illegal purchases online. It didn’t work and this is exactly why this is so rare. Who on earth, is going to want to have to deal with the ATF or any other law-enforcement bureau due to illegal sales? I don’t understand the “stories” I’ve read about by people who supposedly purchase gun after gun on the Internet and brag that these weapons are sent directly to their homes. This is absolutely bogus. While it can happen, it is undoubtedly rare, in spite of what people like Mayor Bloomberg would like us to believe. The seller is taking a huge risk and most would not go there.

In relaying his story, the Armslist seller states:

[The News team] went by the names Chris and Cheryl when they met with me. They tried to buy 30 round magazines just outside Denver claiming they were legal residents of Clear Creek County. (For those that don’t know, Denver residents are prohibited from owning, buying, and keeping standard capacity mags within the city). That’s why they had to try to conceal their identities and true residency. They broke several laws while trying to make me out to be the bad guy.

The seller also stated that:

Josh tried to use Chris’s name and mountain residency (and cash?) to purchase my gun after I told him I couldn’t sell high cap mags to a Denver resident.

These individuals have been reported to the local ATF Bureau. The seller states:

I called the ATF Denver field office and they were very receptive to my complaint. They elevated me up to a supervisor and took a written statement.

The left has a definite agenda and that agenda is to ultimately remove guns from society. They know it has to be done incrementally, so they are trying their best to keep the pressure up and the news flowing with respect to guns. Some are even trying to connect the recent Boston Marathon bombing to the “gun culture” of America and those on the right.

It never stops, does it? It remains for us to be even more vigilant and apparently, people are fighting back. We have witnessed the defeat of the recent “anti-gun legislation,” as Harry Reid accidentally referred to it. We have heard Mr. Obama’s remarks about this failure, accusing the gun lobby of “lying” about the facts of the legislation. Actually, it’s the left that lies, nearly all the time. In truth, Mr. Obama couldn’t even get a full complement of Democrats to support this bill, just like he couldn’t get any Democrats to support his own budget submitted a while back. His constant message that over 90% of Americans want stricter gun policies is a fantasy he would love to be true. Unfortunately, like many things emanating from the left, it’s not true.

The FOX31 team probably hoped to be viewed as heroes by catching law-abiding citizens breaking the law. Instead, they learned that legal gun owners are overwhelmingly law-abiding. Not only that, but in this case, we can only hope that the ATF will have something to say to them about their illegal actions as well.

• Like 1
Well maybe they actualy dovtheir job and come back with a report about how good gun owners are as a whole and many refused to break laws?

Maybe my pee will turn purple and I'll shit lucky charms.

Doubtful but one can only hope.

• Like 3
Well maybe they actualy dovtheir job and come back with a report about how good gun owners are as a whole and many refused to break laws?

You maked me LOL..

You maked me LOL..

Lucky charms gives me Irish green shits, no joke. Doesn't stop me from eatin' 'em though!

• Like 1