I'm not interested or intending on this becoming a Police bashing thread. No more than the "Ghetto dog shot by Police" thread. My hope is to address the growing mentality proposed by DHS where "if you see something, say something". We already know a lot of people (especially in the larger cities) aren't exposed to firearms in a positive light, and mostly see the bad guys and the Police with them ONLY. So it's no surprise that they feel the Police and Military are the only ones that should have them, especially when they look like assault weapons (gasp!). So when they see your average person "with a gun", they might assume he/she is up to no good. I don't agree with that mentality, but I understand there are people out there that are programmed this way.

Therefore, I'm not surprised that some hoplophobic neighbor saw this man sitting on the porch with a black hose nozzle and freaked out. I probably would not have done it, unless he were pointing the "gun" at people or was otherwise acting threatening with it. Granted, I live in the country and seeing someone with a gun doesn't spook me like it might these liberal "city slickers". Also, (like a lot of you) I have my own firearm and if I felt like this person was about to hurt someone, I might have confronted him with my own firearm.

But if he was just sitting there on the porch, was that illegal (even if he had a real pistol)?

Nobody except those that were actually there will know for sure if this guy really pointed the water nozzle in a two handed grip towards the Police. It would have been an EXTREMELY stupid thing to do, if it did. Could it be a story to cover deadly incompetence by the Officers? Could be. Could it be that this guy was just a dumb ass and thought it would be funny? Yeah. Could he have been drunk and had impared judgement? That's possible too. I personally don't buy that he threated the Police with with it the way they say he did, but I wasn't there.

The point is, we don't know. It sucks that it happened, but it did.

My question is this...... How would you suggest that we, as a culture, help people realize that guns are not the evil tools of destruction the left would have them painted as? They are tools, no different than an axe. We see a Fireman with an axe and nobody freaks out:

cartoon-fireman-with-axe-thumb21167895_z

But someone else with one? Is this what people think?

JasonVoorhees-Axe_zps881387cc.gif

Here's a link to the original story, and a youtube video if you're not wanting to read much.

http://www.realfarmacy.com/man-shot-dead-by-police-while-watering-neighbors-lawn/#QT40lySl886Fmv3a.01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l19FHD_kpY

Why wasn't he told to drop what he was holding?

Why did that neighbor say he had a gun? When it clearly sounded like a hood rat's voice. When I'm sure this caller knows what a gun looks like.

Why isn't the media and every tom dick & harry raining down on this situation?

Like they did in Sanford when that hood rat Trayvon was shot?

So what I'm getting out of this is that they don't train there officers to follow proper procedures.

So if I go to a friends house and have a water nozzle and point it like a gun I could lose my life and nothing will happen to the officer that shot me.

Edited by MfWiC

The amount of youtube video's on this topic is very disturbing.

Our society is so fucked up that how does an officer decide in a split second what to do? If the account were accurate and I'm assuming they weren't completely since they awarded the family 6.5m. Anyhow, if they were and I guy did a two handed point at you when responding to a man with gun call wtf do you do? Talk? I'm thinking not. I'm fully aware of shooting to kill and or till the threat is gone. But dude with a hose nozzle got shot 12 times.

The above vid led me to several others. One was a guy in AZ who was unarmed and a single officer fired 41 shots at him. That's two reloads at one unarmed guy while other officers stood and watched.

The reason I mention the above is I feel they are two opposite ends of the spectrum. The first, were officers confronted with a very difficult situation that from what very little I know about it could have fired and possibly re-assessed the situation after even one round. Others will disagree with this and hell I'm not even sure I agree with my own rambling.

The second, an outta control mother fucker with what he percieves to be a license to kill and a brotherhood without the balls to take him down and say whoa bro!

I'm trying to look at both sides and keep rational thought so that the mods don't get pissed and lock the thread or delete it all together.

Being gun owners, I think this is a very important issue for dicussion. Especially for us CCW guys. The wrong move with the wrong LEO and it seems things could end very poorly for us.

All this said... I still blame our fucked up society for some of the poor decisions being made by LEO. You have gangster shit that I would love for them to just give me a reason. You've got people sniffing shit like bath salts that think tasers are sex toys. You've got people with a hatred and zero regard for human life including LEO's on a scale probably never seen before. Legal or not, you've got people videoing LEO and a lot of them I see are bordering on taunting. These guys can't catch a break no matter what they do.

This to me is a very tough subject and I see both sides and have not been able to completely take either.

Good thread idea. I again think it is very pertinant to a gun forum.

Excuse after fucked up excuse for the tyrannical behavior of a government bent on forcing the populace to give up all rights to freedom. Oh there go those silly California police again, no worries....they've been like that for a long time. Or maybe the police in Nevada beating down people and taking over their property, same thing said about them, oh they've been like that for a long time. Truth is that it is happening more and more frequently across this entire country, the police are becoming militarized against the populace. To some degree the militarization of the police has been there for quite some time, in certain secluded parts of our country, Obama and his ilk have ramped it up to a degree that we have never seen in modern times(DHS). I'm not surprised by it, as this is one of the things he talked about during his first campaign, "A civilian force as large as the military and just as well funded". It is past time to stop making excuses for this shit, people don't want to believe that there is something very dark at work here, so they make excuses for it to make them feel personally secure. I mean after all, if the police turn against us we are truly fucked, serve and protect means they are serving only them-selves and will go to any length to protect each other.

Being a peace officer is a job, a chosen profession, and I have my chosen profession, a job that I go to every day. I have rarely been noticed for doing my job correctly every day, but I have been all but ass fucked for mistakes I have made over the years, I have been held to account for my misgivings.

• Like 1

Excuse after fucked up excuse for the tyrannical behavior of a government bent on forcing the populace to give up all rights to freedom. Oh there go those silly California police again, no worries....they've been like that for a long time. Or maybe the police in Nevada beating down people and taking over their property, same thing said about them, oh they've been like that for a long time. Truth is that it is happening more and more frequently across this entire country, the police are becoming militarized against the populace. To some degree the militarization of the police has been there for quite some time, in certain secluded parts of our country, Obama and his ilk have ramped it up to a degree that we have never seen in modern times(DHS). I'm not surprised by it, as this is one of the things he talked about during his first campaign, "A civilian force as large as the military and just as well funded". It is past time to stop making excuses for this shit, people don't want to believe that there is something very dark at work here, so they make excuses for it to make them feel personally secure. I mean after all, if the police turn against us we are truly fucked, serve and protect means they are serving only them-selves and will go to any length to protect each other.

Being a peace officer is a job, a chosen profession, and I have my chosen profession, a job that I go to every day. I have rarely been noticed for doing my job correctly every day, but I have been all but ass fucked for mistakes I have made over the years, I have been held to account for my misgivings.

Well said AA. I thought we were talking about LEO though. I have zero respect and I guess if I were being honest, a fear of the DHS.

As far as LEO... I don't make excuses for them. I question though whether this horribly fucked up society has driven many to this point? Trust me, I'm not saying it's right and I'm well aware that they signed up for this. But... They are after all human. I know I've "checked out" of jobs and done shit I knew was wrong and didn't give a shit. I never shot anyone, of course. But, in all honesty, I could see myself kicking the shit out of a ghetto pile of trash while he's cuffed if I were having a bad day. Or letting a chick with big tits go, while 5 minutes later getting someone else on a bull shit charge. Wrong is wrong and it doesn't matter the degree. Point is, I could very well see myself doing things dependent on my mood. I assume they are no less human than me. I just hope they do a better job than I would.

Not defending here as I agree with you on many points. But I also see what is probably millions that are doing a great job, while a relative few are fucking it up for everyone.

Back to the OPs question what can we do to help educate people. I read something recently about a shooting club that had an open day once a year where locals could come in and shoot for free. If they didnt own a gun, members would let them shoot one of theirs, they stated that they did get more than a few people who had never shot before interested.

Well said AA. I thought we were talking about LEO though. I have zero respect and I guess if I were being honest, a fear of the DHS.

As far as LEO... I don't make excuses for them. I question though whether this horribly fucked up society has driven many to this point? Trust me, I'm not saying it's right and I'm well aware that they signed up for this. But... They are after all human. I know I've "checked out" of jobs and done shit I knew was wrong and didn't give a shit. I never shot anyone, of course. But, in all honesty, I could see myself kicking the shit out of a ghetto pile of trash while he's cuffed if I were having a bad day. Or letting a chick with big tits go, while 5 minutes later getting someone else on a bull shit charge. Wrong is wrong and it doesn't matter the degree. Point is, I could very well see myself doing things dependent on my mood. I assume they are no less human than me. I just hope they do a better job than I would.

Not defending here as I agree with you on many points. But I also see what is probably millions that are doing a great job, while a relative few are fucking it up for everyone.

All police have been coopted by DHS, it's all the same fucken thing now.

I am personally accountable to those I serve, not these pricks, they don't answer to anyone now.

Personally.... I do hold them to higher account and being human is one thing, being fucken evil is another.

People who treat others based on how they feel from one minute to next are by all accounts, fucking nuts and dangerous. I guess the folks you live around should hope to God that you never become a cop horror.gif

Being a cop has never been easy, since DHS now owns them it is going to become even worse for them and everyone.

• Like 1

But if he was just sitting there on the porch, was that illegal (even if he had a real pistol)?

My question is this...... How would you suggest that we, as a culture, help people realize that guns are not the evil tools of destruction the left would have them painted as? They are tools, no different than an axe. We see a Fireman with an axe and nobody freaks out:

cartoon-fireman-with-axe-thumb21167895_z

JasonVoorhees-Axe_zps881387cc.gif

Here's a link to the original story, and a youtube video if you're not wanting to read much.

http://www.realfarmacy.com/man-shot-dead-by-police-while-watering-neighbors-lawn/#QT40lySl886Fmv3a.01

On your own property, at least here where I live, its fine to have a pistol on your porch, as long as you aren't threatening people.

As a culture, I think the proper way to change the point of view is exposure. We should actually have gun training in schools (at an appropriate age), even with BB guns or pellet guns, if otherwise objectionable, but I think .22 pistol and rifle exposure would be nice. Will it happen? Not unless we push for it. How else could we do it? I think NRA is uniquely qualified to sponsor more events to increase exposure for people. From what I read, there are plenty who are curious, and/or have purchased guns even without exposure due to our great gun seller's sales pitch recently.

In the end, I think we cannot change the opinions of the far left, they are insane, like most extremists. However, the middle, who are the majority left of non=-gun owners, could be swayed by these measures.

On your own property, at least here where I live, its fine to have a pistol on your porch, as long as you aren't threatening people.

As a culture, I think the proper way to change the point of view is exposure. We should actually have gun training in schools (at an appropriate age), even with BB guns or pellet guns, if otherwise objectionable, but I think .22 pistol and rifle exposure would be nice. Will it happen? Not unless we push for it. How else could we do it? I think NRA is uniquely qualified to sponsor more events to increase exposure for people. From what I read, there are plenty who are curious, and/or have purchased guns even without exposure due to our great gun seller's sales pitch recently.

In the end, I think we cannot change the opinions of the far left, they are insane, like most extremists. However, the middle, who are the majority left of non=-gun owners, could be swayed by these measures.

Promote and encourage The Appleseed Project, they have educated more people in the last few years than any one believed possible.

Liberty needs riflemen,

Edited by Rhodes1968
  • Like 2

while today we have many good cops, in the past there were some greats the likes of which we'll never see again:

Texas Department of Public Safety—Texas Rangers
One Riot, One Ranger

The law authorized four Ranger companies of a maximum of 20 men each. The career of Company “B” Captain W. J. McDonald, and a book written about him, added much to the Ranger legend, including two of its most famous sayings.

The often cited “One Riot, One Ranger” appears to be based on several statements attributed to Captain McDonald by Albert Bigelow Paine in his classic book, Captain Bill McDonald: Texas Ranger. When sent to Dallas to prevent a scheduled prize-fight, McDonald supposedly was greeted at the train station by the city’s anxious mayor, who asked: “Where are the others?”

To that, McDonald is said to have replied, “Hell! ain’t I enough? There’s only one prize-fight!”

And on the title page of Paine’s 1909 book on McDonald are 19 words labeled as Captain McDonald’s creed: “No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that’s in the right and keeps on a-comin.” Those words have evolved into the Ranger creed.

During the first two decades of the Twentieth Century, Rangers found themselves up against men in the wrong as always, but some of the law enforcement problems these officers confronted were as new as the century itself.

Since the days of the Mexican War, Rangers had occasional work to do along the long, meandering Rio Grande, but the emphasis on the river increased in 1910 with the outbreak of revolution in Mexico. Generally easy to ford, the Rio Grande had never been much more than a symbolic boundary. Some of the violence associated with the political upheaval in Mexico crossed the river into Texas.

30 March 1924, New York Times, “Texas Rangers a Terror to Lawless for 90 Years,” pg. XX10:
“We’re done for,” groaned the Mayor. “I asked for a whole company and they’ve sent me one Ranger.”

“Well,” drawled the Ranger, “there’s only one riot, isn’t there?”

Fiction, of course? Not in the least. Exactly that remark is attributed to Captain Bill McDonald, one of the most famous Rangers of them all, when he stepped off the train in Dallas all by himself to stop a forbidden prize fight. McDonald’s favorite trick was to play the lone hand against a mob. Time and again he met and outface hundreds. “No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that’s in the right and keeps on a-comin’” was his creed, and he staked his life on this belief unnumbered times through long decades of Ranger days.

+1 to the Appleseed Project.

When I was in high school (mid 80s), we had a rifle team and brought our privately owned 22 LR rifles in before school started (in a case, without ammo) and secured them inside the vault in the main office. When it was time, we (and the Jr. ROTC/Explorers) would go to the office and pick up the cases and go out behind the football field to the backstop they created for us. The adult in charge would go down the line and hand each of us a single round, which we would then fire, remove the empty from the action (bolt and break actions), then hold it up. He'd go by with a coffee can and we'd throw the empty in it, then start over (or let the next group shoot, if needed).

I'm not expecting to see rifle teams anytime in the near future, except at Military Schools, perhaps.

If you see something, say something

the way I see it, it's not my job to do what the cops are suppose to do, same reason why I don't drive my trash to the land fill, that's the reason I pay taxes so I don't have to do things like that. if I wanted to do that I would fail the test and became a cop/trash collector etc...

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I never answered the question in the title.

If you see something unreasonable, then tell. If you think about it, why are the muslim bombers in the middleast so successful? I think a good part has to do with tolerance. The uninvolved people dont bother telling, for fear or retribution or because its just plain not accepted to tell. Not to pick a fight with hopkins, but we must also be our neighbors keeper, lest we become like the muslims in gaza, and that means doing our part to help keep things safe.

A gun on a porch, not something to worry about. A man weilding the same gun in a common space, maybe. Depends on which common space. Next to a bank or school? Yes, definitely (until they secure our schools). Next to a large hunting preserve? Nah. Using your brains, I think you can figure it out.

Edited by Remek
  • Like 1

I see it the other way around, if the police turn against citizens they will truly be fucked. 2 cops for every 1000 citizens and everyone should remember that. Do not lose the respect of those who employ you and to whom you swore an oath to protect. There are no kings in this Country and no one is above the law at least in theory.

Keep kids away from hollyweird movies. Even if you don't have kids, help out local rod and gun clubs, get the kids into firearms early. Support competitive shooting sports for kids. Teach safety early. Promote safety in public schools. Take a kid hunting.

The reason you like guns is because somebody introduced you to them. Help the next generation out now so when you are too crusty and old to fight, they will.

I am personally accountable to those I serve, not these pricks, they don't answer to anyone now.

Personally.... I do hold them to higher account and being human is one thing, being fucken evil is another.

People who treat others based on how they feel from one minute to next are by all accounts, fucking nuts and dangerous. I guess the folks you live around should hope to God that you never become a cop horror.gif

Being a cop has never been easy, since DHS now owns them it is going to become even worse for them and everyone.

Haha... You maked me LOL. The whole country should be glad I'm not a cop. It would be nothing but blowjobs to get outta tickets, free drugs and alcohol, and a healthy beating of an innocent person or two whenever my wife is on the rag. Oh... and driving like a complete asshole even off duty.

Hmmm... I'm probably looking at a career change very soon. Law enforcement is starting to look good to me now.

Haha... You maked me LOL. The whole country should be glad I'm not a cop. It would be nothing but blowjobs to get outta tickets, free drugs and alcohol, and a healthy beating of an innocent person or two whenever my wife is on the rag. Oh... and driving like a complete asshole even off duty.

Hmmm... I'm probably looking at a career change very soon. Law enforcement is starting to look good to me now.

Does sound rather inviting when you get it in the proper perspective grimace.gif