Where to buy Bolt Hold Open?

Is the CSS modified one any different than the factory one? It pretty much looks the same. I finally just took out the factory one. It kept fucking up and seizing my gun up. I got tired of it.

Edited by Turbo.M777

"This Bolt Hold Open lever is a direct replacement for your Saiga 12 Factory part. It is modified to easily allow the safety to be installed or removed without taking the entire FCG apart. Can also be used on guns that did not come with one"

I put the CSS one in my S12 which did not come with a BHO. Works great.

-BP

Im more interested in a fix that keeps the spring from falling off the tab it sits on. I filed the notch deeper that it came to try to keep it from coming off, but it still has. Are there any other fixes for it?

I see what you are saying. The CSS one does not come with a notch in it but like you did to your factory one I put one in mine with a dremel and a very thin cutting disk. So far it has not come off.

Im more interested in a fix that keeps the spring from falling off the tab it sits on. I filed the notch deeper that it came to try to keep it from coming off, but it still has. Are there any other fixes for it?

did you put a slight bend on the end of the bho spring? The side that sits on the lever? I have found it beneficial.

did you put a slight bend on the end of the bho spring? The side that sits on the lever? I have found it beneficial.

I put a bend in mine too,worked great so far. CSS mentions doing this in one of their videos.

When you install it, make sure to do the side bends in the hammer spring, and if there is side to side play in the hammer axis, I suggest putting a bronze washer in there to make it a close fit.

Yeah I bent the end of the spring. I've still had the problem though.

Cut a small notch in the side arm and it will stay.

I did cut a notch in it, and it still came off. I took it out again and cut a REALLY deep notch in it with a dremel metal cutting blade, and it eventually came off and locked my gun up yet again. I feel thats a pretty fatal flaw since it takes so much effort to unfuck it when it happens. I didn't want to worry about that happening again, so I just took it out. Its been a little while since then, and I do want the functionality, so I decided to buy the CSS BHO lever just in case it gives me a different outcome than the factory one for some reason. So I'm hoping.

Edited by Turbo.M777

Did have room to wiggle side to side? If so, I think that explains nearly 100% of the reported cases of this. I look at mine, and it just is not possible for the spring to slip off. It would be hard to push off with a bent punch.

No it was a notch just big enough for the diameter of the spring. There is absolutely no way the spring should have been able to slip off the side. Maybe it didnt? Is it possible the spring went forward too far and slipped off?

Edited by Turbo.M777

Depends how close the end of the spring is to the lever. Springs aren't magic. If yours seems short, get a longer spring at a hardware store. It doesn't matter much how strong the spring is nor is a super long cycle rating important for this purpose.

I know this isn't the direction you are trying to go, but there is always this:

forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/85885-safety-lever-with-bho/

Picks of mine are down the thread. I am very pleased with it. It is less parts (less chance of something breaking) and faster to release than using the bolt hold open part. Lots of good info in that thread if you are interested. Good luck!

Oh, and I found that thread by following the directions in my signature. This has been discussed many times before. There are pics floating around of the BHO mod if you search.

I know this isn't the direction you are trying to go, but there is always this:

forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/85885-safety-lever-with-bho/

Picks of mine are down the thread. I am very pleased with it. It is less parts (less chance of something breaking) and faster to release than using the bolt hold open part. Lots of good info in that thread if you are interested. Good luck!

Oh, and I found that thread by following the directions in my signature. This has been discussed many times before. There are pics floating around of the BHO mod if you search.

Thanks, yeah I have the krebs custom lever so I have been using it for my BHO since I took the factory one out. I got the CSS BHO and spring in the mail and installed it yesterday. When comparing the springs, (factory one on top, CSS spring on bottom) you can see the CSS one is a tad longer with the bend that goes over the top of the BHO tab. the factory one is basically what you would have if you clipped that off. I think theres a very good chance my factory spring was slipping off from the front, not the side. Right now it appears this new spring should rectify that problem.

post-38686-0-05725100-1374249247_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I ran across a reference to this in the VEPR 7.62x54r section (http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/83001-23-762x54r-vepr-with-bolt-hold-open/) - there's a trick to getting any AK rifle to do BHO. I've tried it with my VEPR and with my S-12 and it worked with both (even though I have the factory BHO on the S-12).

There's a spot when charging the system, right after pulling back just past the trigger, where you can pull the trigger and it locks the bolt back. The first time I tried this, I was pretty skeptical, as I seemed to luck into finding the right spot. After trying it several times I got the hang of it, and seems to be the only way to go with the VEPR, and possibly a decent solution for the S-12s that don't have a factory BHO.

Edited by nukeme70
  • 3 weeks later...

So, as soon as you fire the last round, you quickly pull the trigger again at just the right moment. I'm not sure that's very useable

In that situation, not at all... it's just a BHO method, not LRBHO.

Some ranges require that magazines are removed and the bolt locked open when the range is cold. If your gun doesn't have an installed BHO you could shove something in the breach or you could try this method. (Or try the other mentioned options like notching your safety.)