I've never really been one to make new years resolutions for fear of failure by February.  However, this year I've made a couple that I'm confident will stick all year:

I quit drinking alcohol in October of 2013 and plan on making 2014 a full alcohol free year.

I want to plan a family night out (movies, bowling, dinner, whatever) once a month.

What new years goals wouldn't include more personal time for myself at the range?

What are some of your goals, plans, wants, wishes for 2014?  Wishing all fellow forum members here a safe, happy, and prosperous new year!

• Like 2

To buy as many guns and ammo as I can before the wife uses one of them on mehaha.gif

My wife got all exercised when I mentioned the need for a second safe, but agreed to the proposition of trading up to a larger one 015.gif 015.gif 015.gif

• Like 1

450lb raw bench.

Complete another two existential crisis-free semesters of mechanical engineering.

Obtain a CX4 Storm.

Obtain a female.

450! Dude, be careful with that kind of weight. I almost destroyed my rotator cuff years ago benching.

450lb raw bench.

Complete another two existential crisis-free semesters of mechanical engineering.

Obtain a CX4 Storm.

Obtain a female.

450! Dude, be careful with that kind of weight. I almost destroyed my rotator cuff years ago benching.

Yeah, a sub-goal is to not destroy anything in the process lol. 30lb to go, and so far so good...

I almost destroyed my rotator cuff years ago benching.

I did.  Going for a one rep max and increased the weight too much after a particularly easy rep.  Sounded like a green stick breaking in half.  Thank God I had a spotter or I'd still probably be under that bar.

To get every member of this forum to read "Grain Brain". The truth about why there is an Alzheimer's epidemic. The gubberment has been lying to you once  again. $15 on Amazon, great read..........

I'll keep a few extra pounds and be mentally fit 000.gif

I'm a guy, so I'm always hoping for a little more "personal" growth. rolleyes.gif But I'll just throw this out there, My goal is to keep staying out from under anything or getting on top of anything that weighs 450 pounds. 000.gif

Edited by DogMan
  • Like 5

To get every member of this forum to read "Grain Brain". The truth about why there is an Alzheimer's epidemic. The gubberment has been lying to you once  again. $15 on Amazon, great read..........

I'll keep a few extra pounds and be mentally fit :smoke:

How about a quick summery of the main points of the book.

I'll keep a few extra pounds and be mentally fit 000.gif

How about a quick summery of the main points of the book

The simplest thing would be to look at the listing on Amazon...this is to the Kindle Edition;

http://www.amazon.com/Grain-Brain-Surprising-Brains-Killers-ebook/dp/B00BAXFCPO/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388615476&sr=1-1&keywords=grain+brain

This info has to be worth $6.49.

• Like 2

Going to chime in on the sugar and carbs.

Been on the Atkins plan since July. 54lbs and 5 months later of no sugar and very controlled carbs (10-15 grams a day) it makes a difference beyond the weight.

My wife has been on it for four months and her stomach problems have either cleared up or drastically abated.

Seems the book aint just hype, that crap was killing us, got a large scar on my chest as proof. 

So lose the rest and get back into as good of condition as I can. Think it may make the difference later.

Practice more patience with interpersonal relations.

Spend more time in mindful meditation.

Not really personal but I have a goal to have my 20 acres completely fire proof before this summer. I've worked like a slave to thin, limb, and prune all the trees. I finished piling the trees today. Next is to remove the sagebrush. By March I hope to broadcast burn the entire thing. I'm having a hard time resting knowing there is more work to be done.

Try to find that mythical and elusive bridge across generations between me and my 11 year old son.

I can mange a job site with forty plus tradesmen but haven't been able to figure out how to make my own son want to put down the video game control and come outside.

• Like 1

For all you guys looking to improve your health, hopefully this will get you started down a great path.

A lot of you are aware that you've been getting bad info on so many other topics and diet/exercise are no different.

I strongly encourage you to pick up a copy of The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson.

He has a blog and forum if you want to learn more before dropping $15 on Amazon but the book is definitely worth your time.

There are a dozen other authors on the topic that also do a great job, but after reading most of them I think Sisson is the best place to start.  I'm happy to recommend others if you're interested.

The general concept is called "Paleo" or "Primal", and the basic idea eating and living as close to what the human body would have encountered before agriculture and modern civilization.   There's lots of great science to back it up, and my own experience and the experiences of family members has been amazing in both body composition, and blood test results.

Because this post comes off reading almost like an ad, I feel compelled to mention that I have no affiliation with Mark or any of the other authors.

I've just been eating and living this way as best I can for a couple of years and wish that someone had shared this info with me a long time ago.

• Like 2

Try to find that mythical and elusive bridge across generations between me and my 11 year old son.

I can mange a job site with forty plus tradesmen but haven't been able to figure out how to make my own son want to put down the video game control and come outside.

As the man of the house you control the breaker box. Maybe on your next day off the rooms that power the games and TVs experience some sort of electrical problems. Then you also can be the hero who 'fixes' the problem later that evening.
  • Like 2

Cut the power.

As the man of the house you control the breaker box. Maybe on your next day off the rooms that power the games and TVs experience some sort of electrical problems. Then you also can be the hero who 'fixes' the problem later that evening.

Cut the power.

I know I can make him do it. The part I'm having trouble with is making him want to do it. The whole damn system is actually locked up in a box in the basement for couple of weeks now.

He's got a .22, a great little dirt bike , a thousand acres of forest land adjoining my property, a good population of grouse and cotton tails. Just no interest in any of it. Apparently these electronic screens are addicting.

It makes it tuff to relate. At his age that's the shit I lived for, hell it still is.

But that's what makes this my " Personal growth goal of 2014 " one of em anyway.

Edited by Long Shot
  • Like 1

Get a M35A2 deuce and a half (it may just be a matter of days for this resolution!)

Obtain my real estate sales agent license

Learn to speak basic German

Some other random small ones like get in better shape etc etc