I give you the R.I.P. bullet.

That's likely to be an expensive gift. Would you give me a couple pounds of surplus pulled bullets instead? I'm sure that will be cheaper.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Winchester just changed the packaging, the name, and removed the Lubalox coating from them.  You can still buy them.  They're Called Ranger SXTs   We've spent all this time making bullets that maint

I'll stick with standard hollow-points or even FMJ (for penetration).   Until it proves it's worth, it's just a gimmick.

Yep, light bullet moving fast expanding faster= no penetration. Here's last year's last bullet you will ever buy, and the same idea with less showy milling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFmzbAlKUgA

Posted Images

I give you the R.I.P. bullet.

That's likely to be an expensive gift. Would you give me a couple pounds of surplus pulled bullets instead? I'm sure that will be cheaper.

The picture was free.  If you'd like I'm sure I can find a picture of pulled bullets somewhere...

• Like 2

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/daniel-zimmerman/g2/

Who would want a 96 gr round that disappates it energy upon impact instead of something like a proven +P 135 gr round that will definitely incapacitate a bad guy with less chance he is going to stay up shooting back? The hunting rounds in full copper don't fragment and disappate energy like these do although they do lack the density of other proven big game cartridges. Elk and Deer don't shoot back in my experiences killing them but I never had to track them anywhere either because the ammo I used dropped them in their tracks. It wasn't full copper bullets FYI.

• Like 2

My switch to copper for hunting big game was for wildlife conservation.  It's not a law here in AZ but they do encourage us to use non-lead for hunting because animals and birds eat the gut piles and lead bullets tend to leave lead fragments in the gut piles.

I hate mindless tree huggers but it makes no sense to harm animals for no reason.

Copper hunting bullets do lack the density of lead but they have equal weight, high bc, and high structural integrity.  The only downside is cost and the cost of premium bullets in lead and copper are pretty comparable these days.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2

I get linked to this stuff about every day by someone I know and they're always shocked when I don't share their enthusiasm over it.  It's junk ammo built from junk 'science' and hyped up with testosterone-fueled marketing.  I've studied a lot about the effectiveness of handguns and bullet designs... and little bits of metal darting off within the first few inches, whether they be called 'trocars' or anything else, just don't cut it.  You need a large and long permanent cavity to reliably cause incapacitation through blood loss.  Regardless of the bullet performance and beyond damaging the central nervous system, handguns simply cannot cause immediate physical incapacitation the way rifles are capable of.... Most stops with handguns are purely psychological and are brought on by pain, shock, and even disbelief.  Actually, a big part of it comes from watching TV and movies and knowing that when you're shot, you fall down.  We just come programmed that way.  So maybe if the person you're shooting has watched the RIP video and knows you shot him with one, he might drop dead... but otherwise...

• Like 2

I get linked to this stuff about every day by someone I know and they're always shocked when I don't share their enthusiasm over it.  It's junk ammo built from junk 'science' and hyped up with testosterone-fueled marketing.  I've studied a lot about the effectiveness of handguns and bullet designs... and little bits of metal darting off within the first few inches, whether they be called 'trocars' or anything else, just don't cut it.  You need a large and long permanent cavity to reliably cause incapacitation through blood loss.  Regardless of the bullet performance and beyond damaging the central nervous system, handguns simply cannot cause immediate physical incapacitation the way rifles are capable of.... Most stops with handguns are purely psychological and are brought on by pain, shock, and even disbelief.  Actually, a big part of it comes from watching TV and movies and knowing that when you're shot, you fall down.  We just come programmed that way.  So maybe if the person you're shooting has watched the RIP video and knows you shot him with one, he might drop dead... but otherwise...

So all the Japanese soldiers fell dead from a .45 acp round because they saw it in a movie or was it the stopping power of the round?

Good point, on the other hand those that are shot with a 22LR must really be surprised.

Funny thing is I find myself more interested in penetrating barriers than wound channels of late. 

And body armor is still moving up the list.

After shooting at different Kevlar soft armor and ballistic plates with numerous calibers, I wouldn't be so confident that round will "hole saw" itself through armor like a pumpkin. The rotation isn't proportioned to the velocity. Even a slow 9mm would enter too fast for the spin of the round to attempt to saw through it. Ever try to cut up soft Kevlar armor? Doesn't cut easily with EMT shears or even a razor blade. Decent soft armor will stop a hot 9mm anyway and if it is preceeded with a plate, you are pissing in the wind to stop a threat without a head shot. That's where training comes into play with "Failure" drills. The RIP isn't suited for barrier penetration in my opinion, it appears to fragmemt and disappate energy too quickly when you really need it to punch through the barrier and retain its mass when it enters the intended target.
  • Like 3

Good point, on the other hand those that are shot with a 22LR must really be surprised.

Funny thing is I find myself more interested in penetrating barriers than wound channels of late. 

Every couple of years I end up feeling the desire to have a vest 'just in case'.  After a year or two of having it laying under the bed, I usually trade it or sell it off for something I need at the time.  After another year or two, I start feeling naked again and go out and find another used vest from somewhere.  It's a vicious cycle!

I just want a box of em cause they're pretty not for shooting a mother efer in the face. I can already see the look on the juror's faces when the prosecutor holds up a twenty inch full color glossy of that damn thing in the court room.

Alas I have nothing in 9mm.

Sure as shit wouldn't pay what they're asking anyhow. May be if they sold just half a dozen projectiles only, in something that starts with a four, .40 .44 .45

I think it would be a swell novelty to have a few rounds when they're no longer available.

Thanks for sharing this video. It goes back to what I was saying earlier in the thread. I had a feeling these rounds were not going to perform like they look, and like most people would think. These bullets are just too light to defeat barriers and still offer a decent level of incapacitation IMO. Im not fond of bullets that dump all their energy rapidly, and then give up too much of their weight too soon. Im going to stick with bullets that are proven.

These do look cool, but dont offer any real world performance for me to fork out the coin they will likely go for.

Buy this unconventional round instead. Because it actually has plenty of mass, it actually works. And it exceeds MFR claims. And the manufacturer isn't trying to do a viral shock marketing campaign. Those are the kind of manufacturers who should get your money for development.

(not so much in other chamberings though) 

This one gives room for an intelligent choice between somewhat reduced penetration and extreme expansion, vs deep penetration and moderate expansion. 

I haven't seen anything that tests it with a simulated ribcage though, so there's that. A drywall type test would be very interesting too.

On the whole though, it at least makes it to the level of "worth considering."

• Like 2

Gun Fun- Great video! I've never seen those before, and don't like the Judge myself, but that's impressive!  :up:

Loved the look on the guy's face after the first test!  :D

Those rounds picked up that 18 lb. gel block and shook it like a rottweiler!  :eek:

It was less impressive in normal pistol chamberings. As in, probably not very effective. But at least Le Hi ammo does what they say it will. They are honest about shallow penetration, and their claimed velocities have been pretty close in any tests that I looked into. I believe TNoutdoors9 did one on their 45ACP, and it expanded huge, but went in fairly shallow. Just not enough mass to push that big a star through meat and bone.

Conventional premium loadings are still probably the best way to go and the most consistent over various circumstances. I just discovered this particular guy today. He did a great series on .380 loadings which I will have to watch through. The thing that sets his apart is that he makes a point of doing all his ballistic tests out of shorter pistol barrels like most of us actually carry. Turns out the Hornady critical duty +p that I carry kinda sucks in shorter barrels than what I have. It did awesome in every other test I saw, but almost all the others were using duty size weapons. 

Brassfetcher has really good documentation on his protocols and a lot more video, data and so forth on his website than you will see on the youtube clips. Check out his data on the DDupleks shotgun slugs for fancy pants ammo that does what it is supposed to without compromizing by conventional standards either. There used to be a lot of youtube eastern Europe hunting videos which showed the stuff on bear and boars.  I can't find them anymore, but it is as impressive as the gel, and a lot uglier.

This thing has gone crazy viral and is getting it's ass kicked all over the net.

People dont want shit ammo for carry. Thats what happens when something gets marketed as "the last round you'll ever need" bullshit. More like the last round you wanna carry.

Every couple of years I end up feeling the desire to have a vest 'just in case'.  After a year or two of having it laying under the bed, I usually trade it or sell it off for something I need at the time.  After another year or two, I start feeling naked again and go out and find another used vest from somewhere.  It's a vicious cycle!

Maybe you are sub-consciously acting on this.

Since the materials are claimed to degrade over time, (vacuum packing and oxygen absorbents?) it is kind of an issue with storage.

Bit of a grey area as so much is.

Lot of newer stuff hitting the market that isnt all that expensive and has type III plate accommodation. Plates are better and cheaper now also.

It's funny to me how many people will mock .380 which now has just adequate ammo, yet rave about how amazing a makarov is. Of course there are better cartridges, but not for as small a package. 

A 380 is great to have when you wouldn't otherwise have a gun, especially if you have it loaded wth XTPs or hydrashocks. I have a few friends who pocket carry in jobs which would make standard IWB holsters for a compact 9 conspicuous. The gun is relatively quick to draw as well.

I'll be getting a .380 when I can, and a more compact 9 Parabellum as soon as possible thereafter. 

...but a load of buckshot is still cheaper but kind of hard to hide the gun. 

Right there in the center of that picture, guess what I'm carrying. That'd be the same gun and same five rounds of buckshot as in my avatar.

post-23857-0-48649200-1391679984_thumb.jpg

• Like 1