Welded through the barrel.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A corrections officer is NOT an LEO, you dont enforce laws....you babysit prisoners. I knew you had to be a wannabe. LEOs dont look for a fight or brag like you do.   And....your mother was a hamp

Clean up the inside of the barrel and the next time you weld the barrel use a  backer!!!!  Machine a bronze plug which will slip fit inside the barrel.   Jack

we are  indeed in a very  sad state of affairs on this board,  when the offer of help for no monetary compensation to a fellow gun enthusiast is somehow a threat to businesses,   very sad indeed. 

Posted Images

Double check the stones, verify they are flat and not worn in the center. Again for that style of hone to work you have to float it in and out while it's spinning to let it work off the high spots. Med to low speed on the drill. And something to lube stones and keep the stones clean so they can cut.

I maybe ran it for a total of 2 minutes with only about 15-30 second intervals. Stones look new no wear spots. I used wd40 as suggested. I can see the stones working with my light in the trigger area pointing down the barrel.

Have you thought about sending it to a SOT, and having them cut the barrel and permanently install a GK01 on it? From what I saw the damage was only at the very end of the barrel. The GK01 is about 5 inches, so you should be able to keep the 18" Barrel length, and still take off a few inches of the damaged part of the barrel.

That is ultimately what I want to do but can't really afford the $400 + price tag that comes with it. The best bet would be to sbs it and add the brake or any brake later. The link works for me but if you click the one in my signature it should show all my vids with the fix being the most recent.

I mean for the whole job. Chop and perm i was quoted from a business member here at $175 no paint or finish work. GK-01 is $180 so total is about $400 plus I gotta finish the parts that have been welded.

My goal is to keep this one as original as i can.

I would say that boat has already sailed. if you wanted to keep it as original as you can, you shouldn't have messed with it from the git-go.

now that SAIGA 12K is just like  any run of the mill SAIGA that was converted.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I beg to differ. Whether you want to believe it or not, this is still one of the desired models out there. Do you own a saiga 12K? If push really came to shove I could have another factory barrel installed as if nothing happened. Plus the fact that these came welded from the importer makes them "run of the mill converted" in your eyes then. And besides I stated as original as I can.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to give a final update. I decided to make one last attempt at smoothing out the weld and I must say I am very pleased. I have it about 99% smoothed down. You can hardly tell there was a weld there. Here are a couple pics.

ng5y5i.jpg

dndlb7.jpg

Wanted to give a final update. I decided to make one last attempt at smoothing out the weld and I must say I am very pleased. I have it about 99% smoothed down. You can hardly tell there was a weld there. Here are a couple pics.ng5y5i.jpgdndlb7.jpg

"That's REAL nice, Clark!"

Wagnikov, thank you for the sound advice you have given. It was your idea and I thank you for that. The ks everyone for all your input. If it does not sell, I certainly will be keeping it. I almost want to pull the ad now.

Well I guess I took his 30+ years in the military as an aircraft welder a little too seriously. Next time things will be different.

A lot of welders have a lot of experience with one type of metal under the same conditions over and over and think they are experts in all welding. 30 years of thick stuff doesn't prepare you for thin, and vice versa. A life time of steel doesn't mean you are any good at aluminum... 

I didn't see a "cracked trunnions welding service ad?" And if you look at my post I have never recommended a product or service that is not one of the business members here. Also MOST offer conversion and/or reliability services, so we should never respond to or offer to help and more of those post!!!!! See where that thinking leads us? It was total BS, and dug up from a 3-4 week old post. There is a reason I changed my profile pic. This is a DIY forum. I have learned that when you start kicking ass, it pisses off those who aren't.

I didn't see a "cracked trunnions welding service ad?" And if you look at my post I have never recommended a product or service that is not one of the business members here. Also MOST offer conversion and/or reliability services, so we should never respond to or offer to help and more of those post!!!!! See where that thinking leads us? It was total BS, and dug up from a 3-4 week old post. There is a reason I changed my profile pic. This is a DIY forum. I have learned that when you start kicking ass, it pisses off those who aren't.

You got yelled at for helping someone....Thats not right.

• Like 1

You got yelled at for helping someone....Thats not right.
No, I got a warning point for OFFERING to help. Lol, even worse. What was that show with "pre-crime."

Give the forum a few bucks problem solved.

A business membership is $1200 a year, which is a bit more than a few bucks.

The paying business members here throw a screaming hissy-fit if anything at all threatens to undercut their profits. Makc runs this forum for profit so he really has no choice but to comply with their demands. The unfortunate side effect is that it pits the professionals against the DIY guys, which sucks unequivocally.

2c.gif

• Like 1