Im kicking around ideas on getting a compact or at least semi compact 45 acp. I know you guys have em and have lots of suggestions.

Not interested in glocks or XDs. Sorry guys no hate. Just not interested in hammer-less. This go round.

Edit: forgetting the important part. Under a grand. Really would like to keep it under 700.

Edited by Chevyman097

Chevyman, don't know about the others and I'll take the hit because everyone has their favorites, but I do like my High Standard. The price was right about 4 years ago and I only added one thing and that was the Hogue wrap around grip. I carry two spare mags and it came with all I needed, small, concealable and it was a .45. This might get sent to the handgun section

One more

post-36534-0-39782400-1405476895_thumb.jpg

post-36534-0-52724000-1405476995_thumb.jpg

post-36534-0-11544700-1405477133_thumb.jpg

I don't have any experience, but I know in one of the recent American Rifleman they had a story on Rock Island. I know they have some 1911 compacts that are pretty cheap and just pulling up reviews online seems to get a lot of positive. Not a review from myself but an option. Maybe others have experience with them.

I have an STI spartan III

Its about the price range, its very tight and prints very well out to 50 yds

I added wide ambi safetys,mainspring housing with mag well (ed Brown I think)

Extended mag release and adjustable rear sight

I shoot it in PPC back up, and do quite well with it (have a national level trophy)

And I carry it as my duty back up

I picked up this ATI a couple years ago and I bought it just because you can never have too many. The ring hammer caught my eye and I

really liked the smaller size for CC. They were selling for $495 at the gun show this weekend. I still am in love with the full size 1911, but these are pretty potent too.

post-36534-0-91704300-1405478003_thumb.jpg

post-36534-0-51718100-1405478045_thumb.jpg

I have a Rock Island M1911-A1 CS and LOVE IT!

It is almost identical to Sobrenegade's High Standard above except mine doesn't have the extended slide release and thumb safety or the right sided safety lever.  My controls are all standard length levers.  It even has the Novak-style sights (w/o tritium inserts or dots).  I think both are probably ARMSCOR imports (Philipines) as are Charles Daly's and Citadels and a few others.  Mine was under $500 NIB out the door.  Rock Island also sells a compact that has standard 1911 sights, but is otherwise identical (trigger, hammer, grip safety, etc).  I believe I have the "CS Tactical" versus the standard "CS" , though it doesn't say it anywhere on the pistol..

The only things I don't like on the Rock Island's are the stock grip panels.  Bulky and uncheckered.  They are best described as "stock blanks".  I Swapped those out for some Pierce grips that are checkered Hogue-style rubber without the finger grooves.  (Think rubber version of the ATI grips pictured above.)  I love 'em!.  That added about another $25.  Also, while reliable with 230gn FMJ, mine didn't like HP or truncated cone.  I spent another $40 for my local gunsmith to do a throat and ramp job.  Now it'll cycle full wadcutters / empty cases.  Trigger is great and breaks clean at under 5 lbs with very slight take-up and almost zero overtravel.   I also like the bushingless bull barrel, lowered & flared ejection port and guide rod set up.  Eventually, I'll add real Novak nights to it. 

Hope this helps.

Macbeau sends...

Im kicking around ideas on getting a compact or at least semi compact 45 acp. I know you guys have em and have lots of suggestions.

Not interested in glocks or XDs. Sorry guys no hate. Just not interested in hammer-less. This go round.

Edit: forgetting the important part. Under a grand. Really would like to keep it under 700.

There isnt. HK is at about a grand and all the 1911s that are that small tend to be finicky. Everythng else is striker. There is the new Sig 227 whick is a double stack 220 but its new and so far the reviews are 50/50, and the price is close to a grand. Another option is the S&W 3rd gen sub compact 4516 or 457 (the economy version) or the compact 4566 . Not bad guns but no longer in production and while they can take some abuse S&W no longer makes parts for them so keeping parts on hand requires constant searching as they are very popular guns and people snatch up parts when they become available.

some great suggestions thanks everyone.  I really like the compact 1911s but worry about reliability with feeding HP ammo. I guess you just have to get the right kind of ammo or what not. My full frame 1911 is picky. Im keeping my eye on several of the compact 1911s though.

I really like the Sigs, but most the ones i really like are over a grand.  There are a few that are close to my price range. 

I really like the looks of that FN and HK Im going to see if the local guy has some i can put in my hands and get a feel for.

• Like 1

I bought a Colt Defender for CC but I am just 'meh' about it due to fit and finish.  45ACP is my go to caliber but I personally prefer my 1911s in a full size frame and for CC something with a bit less kick for follow up shots when in the smaller form factor.  So all of that to say I recommend shooting it first to make sure it suits you from carrying to presenting to follow up shots. 

Edited by some idiot