Ok, I am in the market for a reliable and affordable pump shot gun.  It has to hold at least 5 rounds, be super dependable, and easy to break down and remove the bolt for cleaning.  I really dont want to have to remove the trigger assembly just to field strip it.  Thanks campers.

I love my Mossberg 500 (7+1) but you do have to remove pretty much everything to do with the action to get at the bolt.

Sounds bad, but it's fairly simple, the only complications are if you put a side saddle on, or use the mossberg pistol grip. My side saddle replaces the pin with spring detents with a bolt. If you use the pistol grip you have to remove it before the trigger assembly will come out.

• Like 1

Most pump shotguns will require a trigger group removal. I recommend a Mossberg 500/590. I have a 590 8+1 that works great and was about $500. Plus they're military tested and used. The side saddle does make it worse for disassembly. Pistol grip is not recommended since the controls are designed for a sporter stock.

Edited by Heartbreaker

870 types field strip stupid easy and don't require removing the trigger assy.

H&R Pardner is an 870 clone with a bargain price.

My Norinco 870 clone has been flawless for it's original price of $190.

• Like 1

I have a S&W Model 3000 (Made in Japan). I guess it's a Mossberg clone made under license?

Come to think of it, I've never stripped it down.

Here's a funny story.

Went visiting in Oregon with the shotgun. I had a cable lock through the action and the keys with my wife.

Buddy and I drive 1 hour up into the hills and realize that the keys are back home.

I placed the shotgun on the ground and, after several attempts, managed to blow the pins out of the brass padlock with my .45! The padlock portion was only 6 inches away from the action!

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

I like how the 870 breaks down.  It is pretty damn simple.  I am a shotgun instructor for the Dept of Corrections and its what we use.  The mossy's are nice but they require a punch and you have to damn near remove everything just to get to the bolt. I wonder if the magpul stock would work on the Pardner model?

• Like 1

Ithaca 37 

All steel - the only things not made of steel are the stock and front sight bead (brass) / blade (day glow plastic).

Bottom feed - bottom eject

Pre-1976 models have "slam fire" feature, if you find that desirable.

Super smooth action.

Modular trigger group. - you still have to remove it to get the bolt out, but it comes out as one unit, as do many others mentioned above.

SN's above 855,000 have interchangeable barrels (ones made after 1963).

Edited by macbeau
  • Like 1

Ithaca 37 

All steel - the only things not made of steel are the stock and front sight bead (brass) / blade (day glow plastic).

Bottom feed - bottom eject

Pre-1976 models have "slam fire" feature, if you find that desirable.

Super smooth action.

Modular trigger group. - you still have to remove it to get the bolt out, but it comes out as one unit, as do many others mentioned above.

SN's above 855,000 have interchangeable barrels (ones made after 1963).

Those always looked good to me.

A REAL Remington 870. Hands down.

Get a second hand one.

They're about as close to a perfect pump gun as you can get.

Dead nuts reliable.

Easy to break down and reassemble.

NOT ammunition sensitive.

Plenty of parts and mods available for it.

Sturdy enough that if you run out of shells you can use it as a club and it'll still work.

• Like 1

I bought a Hawk/Interstate arms 870 clone a couple of years ago, it's been great for what it is. Admittedly, I don't shoot it much, it stays by the bed, but it's a solid shotgun and the price was right. I bought it because I wanted a shotgun for the bedroom, and didn't like the idea of leaving one of my Saigas out of the safe all the time.

Are slam-fire shotguns civilian legal? I thought they were not.

illegal to sell or purchase..

I "believe" they are unregulated if you make your own... (not sure though..) Oh, DON'T use PVC...

I think JDeko is talking about guns like the Ithaca 37 and Winchester 97.  IE: Just hold the trigger back and pump the action til the ammo runs dry.  They are legal.  But, not many manufacturers make them today because of liability concerns.

The "Slap Gun" illustrated in Juggs reply #19 would be probably considered either a smooth bore pistol or "pen gun" (AOW) or maybe as destructive device.  Either way, It would be subject to NFA.

Firearms meeting the definition of "any other weapon" or AOW are weapons or devices capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive. Many AOWs are disguised devices such as pens, cigarette lighters, knives, cane guns and umbrella guns. AOWs can be pistols and revolvers having smooth bore barrels (e.g., H&R Handy-GunSerbu Super-Shorty) designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell. While the above weapons are similar in appearance to weapons made from shotguns, they were originally manufactured in the illustrated configuration and are not modified from existing shotguns. As a result, these weapons do not fit within the definition of shotgun or weapons made from a shotgun.

Macbeau...

Edited by macbeau
  • Like 1

yeah, I meant like the 1897 where you hold the trigger and use the pump to rapid fire. I bet those few version that can do that are probably pretty expensive. 

Truth be told my mum loves pump shotguns of that very variety and though I doubt I'll be able to get her one as a present in much time but I'd still like to keep the option in mind. 

I bet those few version that can do that are probably pretty expensive. 

They generally are no more expensive than any other pump shotgun of the same quality.

Vintage Win 97's can be pretty expensive, but not because of the slam fire feature. Repos, not so much.  Pre-1976 Ithaca's run in the $250 to $450 range.

To be honest, it is tough to impossible to slam fire a 12ga accurately, even with Wal-mart value pack stuff.  It takes lots of practice.

Macbeau...

• Like 1

What Juggs has there is a zip gun. We made them in .22lr in shop class in 7th grade. Teacher was in the back with his still so we too much time on our hands and too much machinery to NOT do something 'under the table'.

• Like 3