I can't speak for the accuracy of these stats, but a friend sent me this in an e mail. I find it interesting, if valid. The article led with a picture of a dump truck emptying out its content of weapons turned in.

Australian Gun Law Update; Here's a thought to warm some of your hearts.

Hi Yanks, I thought you all would like to see the real figures from Down Under. It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by a new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by our own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars.

The first year results are now in:
Australia-wide, homicides are up 6.2 percent,
Australia-wide, assaults are up 9.6 percent;
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!
In the state of Victoria, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent.(Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not and criminals still possess their guns!)

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since the criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.  There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the elderly, while the resident is at home.

Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns.

You won't see this on the American evening news or hear your governor or members of the State Assembly disseminating this information.

The Australian experience speaks for itself.  Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note Americans, before it's too late

AUSTRALIA: MORE VIOLENT CRIME DESPITE GUN BAN

• Like 3

Imagine the civil war it would create here. The Australian is a stupid beast. The queen's bitch on a huge island with a population of less than 25 million. They give up their weapons and then try to figure out how to deal with the rape and beating of their family members. Fuck Australia and fuck anybody who compares that unpopulated shit hole to any country in our constitutional republic.

• Like 3

648.381 guns? There are many times that number in NY City alone......

And Americans do not take well to prohibitions- look what happend when they banned alcohol, any scheme to confiscate all of the guns will soon result in an armed revolution. That is what got the Brits thrown out of here.

• Like 4

Reminds me of one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies, Quigley Down Under.

Major Ashley-Pitt: In our experience, Americans are uncouth misfits who should be run out of their own barbaric country.

Matthew Quigley: Well, Lieutenant...

Major Ashley-Pitt: Major.

Matthew Quigley: Major. We already run the misfits outta our country. We sent 'em back to England.

....I wonder how modern body armor would stand up to a 500 grain paper patched bullet going 1500FPS?

Edited by patriot

Hello

Oddly enough, just this past weekend, hitlery klinton was quoting the "successes" of Australian-styled gun confiscation.

I believe that quote from Oz is a few years old, but the principle still remains valid.

I've read that since the UK went "gun free" the bobbies started wearing body armor. They never did previous to "no guns",

Just more inconvenient truths.....

Guido in TX

• Like 2

If you look at a crime chart you can't even see when the mass buyback happen.. You do eventually see a spike in the use of knives for murders, about two years later. Currently I think 80% of murders are stabbings, the murder rate has dropped off a little, but the number of violent assaults (stabbing ect.) is still up significantly last I checked. The only reason the murder rate is lower is that stabbings are slightly easier to repair and medical technology has come a long way.

England has a cool trick with their statistics, if medical personnel touch the body while it has a pulse the crime is assault for the official records, even if the person dies seconds after. If they do catch the killer they are still charged but the crime is not on the official report... Even their home office states that their official statistics are heavily skewed, a couple estimates put their murder rate closer to 2.7 per 100,000.

If a gun ban happened here, expect the method of counting crimes to change to reinforce the law and prevent the public from whining about it.

Since the penalties for any kind of firearm possession for criminal purposes are effectively equal now, the types of guns used by criminals has changed too.

They busted a syndicate in Aus about 2 years ago mass manufacturing suppressed sten guns. They busted the factory, owned by a gang with several hundred of them in it, and more partly assembled. That was just a single batch and the shop had been running for over a year at that point. Do I think any type of gun is particularly scarrier in the hands of an honest man? No. But I would rather that a gang banger doing a drive by had a jennings than an SMG to spray randomly out the window with.

• Like 2

There are ~300 million (known) guns in the US. Average price of a gun is ~$600. A buyback program would cost ~$180 billion, not counting collection, labor and disposal costs. It would be ridiculously huge compared to Australia's 700k guns confiscated and 700 million spent. The US also has 9.6 million square kilometers compared to Australia's 7.6 million. 300 million people vs 20 million. It would be a dinosaur of an operation.

• Like 1

There are ~300 million (known) guns in the US. Average price of a gun is ~$600. A buyback program would cost ~$180 billion, not counting collection, labor and disposal costs. It would be ridiculously huge compared to Australia's 700k guns confiscated and 700 million spent. The US also has 9.6 million square kilometers compared to Australia's 7.6 million. 300 million people vs 20 million. It would be a dinosaur of an operation.

Don't leave out the fact that many Americans understand the right to self defense is endowed to us by our creator. Many of of those 300 million "known " guns in private citizens hands would be "given up" lying in a pile of smoking brass covered in blood of patriots and tyrants.

• Like 1

Imagine the civil war it would create here. The Australian is a stupid beast. The queen's bitch on a huge island with a population of less than 25 million. They give up their weapons and then try to figure out how to deal with the rape and beating of their family members. Fuck Australia and fuck anybody who compares that unpopulated shit hole to any country in our constitutional republic.

LOL, c'mon Stryker, don't sugar coat it, tell us how you REALLY feel!

• Like 1

If they want to buy my guns, fine. I want 1 million per each and an additional million per year for the emotional distress I will suffer from being unprotected in the high crime and drug trafficking area that I live in.