I've been debating sharing this, but have decided that maybe someone or myself can learn more from any discussion.

Friday the 18th while on my way to Deer Camp for a weekend of relaxation and hunting I had to pull my EDC in self defense.

I was almost to my destination on a small two lane county road, I was doing slightly below the posted speed limit which granted nobody adheres to, 55mph=65/70mph.  
It is twilight and there are deer everywhere out there, we hunt there for good reason. And I don't want to ruin my car hitting a deer.

I guess the two young sons of Obama in their chrome trimmed Toyota Corolla that I never saw come up behind me thought I was too slow, cause when I looked back in my side view mirror the driver was waving a pistol out his window.
I took a second look, yep that's a full size pistol he's waving, Condition Red!
I had two pistols on the seat next to me, my SAI XD9 4" and my Kahr PM9 w\ crimson trace.  
I grabbed the one without retention to fumble with, my Kahr.

I pulled quickly to the side in the first large drive way and twisted around with pistol extended partially out the window and lit the passenger side up with the laser as they came up on me.
I made the decision that if the passenger window started down I would start shooting.
As the car came up, the passenger either saw the laser, my pistol or both and his eyes popped wider than I thought possible and I saw him yelling.
The driver jerked to center line and floored it, taking off like a scalded cat.
He disappeared around the next curve with a quickness much to my relief.

I pulled out and continued on, came upon a elderly couple who'd been walking on the side of the road, they were looking down the road and obviously unhappy.
I pulled over and they asked me if that car had passed me and stated it must've been doing well over a hundred.  I told them what'd just happened.

I never had time to get a good description of or the tag of the car, nor a good look at the two douche bags.
Thought about calling the Sheriffs Dept and finally said screw it, in hindsight I should've called it in.

I think I handled it pretty good.
Stayed calm and prepared to defend myself from a decent shooting position.
Showed a hard target, ready and willing to fight back.
Didn't get into a more dangerous situation with any on the road antics.
Partial defusing by clearing the road.

Typical cowards, thought they could scare somebody, I bet they crapped their pants.

• Like 11

Amazing what the little dot o death can do!  Saves ammo and trouble.

while i like the concept, i feel its still our duty to send evil doers straight too hell.  ie, what if those SoBs (Sons of oBamas) hadnt happened upon you first and would have instead chose to inflict their ill intentions on granma and granpa?  this is all hypothetical btw.  im just suggesting if you are willing and able and prepared the bad needs to go so they cant inflict evil upon the defenseless?  ie, since we are teh prepared we are gonna be in trouble.  kinda like the good samaritan parable.  guy was late, had lots goin on, yet still took care of the dude in trouble... kinda roundabout logic i know, but its still kinda the same same...

now all that being said, its not ideal to start shooting when they are disengaging....

we could assume that they will be skerd straight for a lil bit, but for how long???

long story long, glad youre all right...

• Like 1

Glad your OK Chile.

I think you handled the situation perfectly.

Stopped the threat and avoided involvement with LEO.

These little shits are all piss and vinegar when they think they are dealing with a helpless individual.

As soon as they realize their not it's tail between the legs and run time.

I was kind of hoping you found the car wrapped around a tree a mile or so up the road.

Edited by DaveM
  • Like 5

Glad you won this one, Chile. Way to be on point.

I was in a similar scenario back in the early '90s. Some punks came up behind me and started road raging while I was on my 4 hour commute to work. It was some rural highway passing through the small towns below Albany, NY. I pulled over to let the assholes by, but they braked hard and stopped beside me. I already had my gun in my hand with the window down, muzzle out, when the passenger cracked his door. After my heart regained it's normal rhythm I chuckled for quite a while about the driver leaving his cohort half hanging out of the door with the tires spinning. 

I need a laser.

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing and glad you are OK. Since you were going hunting and carrying a long gun anyway, I would suggest carrying a shotgun ready available

if state law allows. Bigger boom snagging more crows with a single shot.

Be safe,

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing and glad you are OK. Since you were going hunting and carrying a long gun anyway, I would suggest carrying a shotgun ready available

if state law allows. Bigger boom snagging more crows with a single shot.

Be safe,

<------ handheld

• Like 1

Good job! It is most always best to defuse the situation, and NOT get intro a gunfight.

I used to run elevator trouble calls to DC public housing. Arthur Cappa was a 6 man call for the Metro Police, but I had to go there with with just a Beretta .25 that would get me 10 years in club fed if PoPo found it on me. Just showing the 'hood rats what I had in my hand saved me MORE than once! Lazer Grips made it MUCH more effective!

• Like 3

You kept your wits, exercised your 2nd Amendment right to self defense, and got home safely to your wife and kids.

Good on you, Chile!

• Like 6

Another thing I might add, I wouldn't have pulled over to discuss this with anyone. Also consider running a dash cam. I run one of these all the time in my truck.

Be safe,

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/discontinued/garmin-dash-cam-20/prod146282.html

I recently got a new Scosch "magic mount" for my phone and figure out how to use it as a dash cam. Set on time lapse it will turn a 35 minute ride into a 35 second video that frames can still be extracted from. It uses very little space on the phone. The hardest part is remembering to turn it on.

My Kahr CW45 and my Wife's XDs 9 both have CT lasers on them for just that reason.

Communication tool. Crimson trace at least used to publish studies done by a few big police agencies which showed that in situations with guns drawn, the likelihood of a shot being fired was substantially lower if some of the guns had lasers.  Also that the number of shots fired when they are fired is lower and the percentage of vital hits to wide hits was far better. Basically lasers make things objetively better.

I think because they remind you to aim, more than because they are the best way to aim.

• Like 4

Every situation is different and Chili did a good job, I can see why he was unsure about sharing this, thanks man.

I know it is a judgement call and matter of opinion but I just prefer the first notification I have drawn is the flash.

Of course that does not mean I do not appreciate lights and lasers, I absolutely have two fire arms with them so if needed it's there.

One is highly portable, the other will be soon.

My biggest problem with the devices is the size on a pistol and I would have to get all new holsters, those things are not cheap.

• Like 1

Amazing what the little dot o death can do!  Saves ammo and trouble.

while i like the concept, i feel its still our duty to send evil doers straight too hell.  ie, what if those SoBs (Sons of oBamas) hadnt happened upon you first and would have instead chose to inflict their ill intentions on granma and granpa?  this is all hypothetical btw.  im just suggesting if you are willing and able and prepared the bad needs to go so they cant inflict evil upon the defenseless?  ie, since we are teh prepared we are gonna be in trouble.  kinda like the good samaritan parable.  guy was late, had lots goin on, yet still took care of the dude in trouble... kinda roundabout logic i know, but its still kinda the same same...

now all that being said, its not ideal to start shooting when they are disengaging....

we could assume that they will be skerd straight for a lil bit, but for how long???

long story long, glad youre all right...

I wasn't going to shoot unless the passenger window started to come down.

They would've had to roll it down to engage me and I wasn't waiting for them to take the first shot.

That was the one BIG decision that stands out in my mind, "If the window comes down, it's on."

Which is why I didn't get a tag or good description of the car/occupants, to busy watching the window and occupants movements.

Glad your OK Chile.

I think you handled the situation perfectly.

Stopped the threat and avoided involvement with LEO.

These little shits are all piss and vinegar when they think they are dealing with a helpless individual.

As soon as they realize their not it's tail between the legs and run time.

I was kind of hoping you found the car wrapped around a tree a mile or so up the road.

This, this and I wish.

Glad you are safe. That's exactly what our firearms are for. 9.9999 times out of 10, the instant the threat realizes you are armed or equally dangerous, they will disengage.

Very much agree.

Good job! It is most always best to defuse the situation, and NOT get intro a gunfight.

I used to run elevator trouble calls to DC public housing. Arthur Cappa was a 6 man call for the Metro Police, but I had to go there with with just a Beretta .25 that would get me 10 years in club fed if PoPo found it on me. Just showing the 'hood rats what I had in my hand saved me MORE than once! Lazer Grips made it MUCH more effective!

This is my usual thinking, keep calm, try to avoid a fight, but be ready to end it with extreme prejudice.

You kept your wits, exercised your 2nd Amendment right to self defense, and got home safely to your wife and kids.

Good on you, Chile!

Everything that counts, calm, ready and a happy ending.

Another thing I might add, I wouldn't have pulled over to discuss this with anyone. Also consider running a dash cam. I run one of these all the time in my truck.

Be safe,

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/discontinued/garmin-dash-cam-20/prod146282.html

Out in the sticks so many people know each other, that I wanted to see if by chance they them or their family.

Get the message out that they're being stupid enough to wind up dead.

We talked, the vibe was good, they were good people.

Communication tool. Crimson trace at least used to publish studies done by a few big police agencies which showed that in situations with guns drawn, the likelihood of a shot being fired was substantially lower if some of the guns had lasers.  Also that the number of shots fired when they are fired is lower and the percentage of vital hits to wide hits was far better. Basically lasers make things objetively better.

I think because they remind you to aim, more than because they are the best way to aim.

Communication... LOL, definitely.

Huge intimidation factor when seen from the wrong end.

They also make me concentrate more intensely on each shot at the range as I can see every movement as I squeeze off a shot.

I view the laser as best used for extreme close quarters where it is basically point-n-shoot at a few yards to arms length.

• Like 1

@ everyone,

I appreciate all the feedback.

I didn't have any time to really think, just make basic evaluations and reactions.

I thought I did good in my handling of their threat and y'all affirm that.

In hindsight I know I should've contacted LE afterwards.

The decision not to make the call was very mixed, even though I grew up with a Deputy for a Father and around LE, I simply do not trust them now-a-days.

I know it could've possibly bit me in the butt, but so could contact with the wrong officer.

So I opted out this time, next time may be different, I've called 911 before when I simply thought there could be trouble.

• Like 4

The decision not to make the call was very mixed, even though I grew up with a Deputy for a Father and around LE, I simply do not trust them now-a-days.

I know it could've possibly bit me in the butt, but so could contact with the wrong officer.

So I opted out this time, next time may be different, I've called 911 before when I simply thought there could be trouble.

I think you did the best thing in not calling the cops...  If you'd gotten enough info for a positive ID of at least the vehicle, maybe I would feel differently about it, but say you call them, and you draw one of those cops who is anti-gun (they may be the minority, but they are out there...  google the video with Canton OH officer Daniel Harless), or who for some reason wants to charge somebody with something...   Guess what, you're the only one available.

Also...  Holster.  Having your gun sitting on the seat next to you worked out OK this time, but what if they'd forced you to take some evasive action prior to you being able to pull over?  The same thing bit one of the FBI agents in the 1986 "Miami Shootout" in the ass...  While in pursuit of the suspects, he'd placed his handgun on the seat next to him so it would be in easy reach.  But when he actually needed it, it was out of reach on the vehicle floor due to the abrupt maneuvers he'd had to make.  Now, if you had a third handgun holstered, and only reached for one of the two on the seat because it was easier, ignore all that.

Edited by Netpackrat
  • Like 1

I think you did the best thing in not calling the cops...  If you'd gotten enough info for a positive ID of at least the vehicle, maybe I would feel differently about it, but say you call them, and you draw one of those cops who is anti-gun (they may be the minority, but they are out there...  google the video with Canton OH officer Daniel Harless), or who for some reason wants to charge somebody with something...   Guess what, you're the only one available.

Also...  Holster.  Having your gun sitting on the seat next to you worked out OK this time, but what if they'd forced you to take some evasive action prior to you being able to pull over?  The same thing bit one of the FBI agents in the 1986 "Miami Shootout" in the ass...  While in pursuit of the suspects, he'd placed his handgun on the seat next to him so it would be in easy reach.  But when he actually needed it, it was out of reach on the vehicle floor due to the abrupt maneuvers he'd had to make.  Now, if you had a third handgun holstered, and only reached for one of the two on the seat because it was easier, ignore all that.

Both pistols were holstered, both were in the passenger seat amidst a bunch of assorted personal gear and some clothing.

Both weren't going anywhere unless some very serious bouncing around happened, even if then.

The Kahr is a pocket gun/holster, the XD9 4" in a Serpa OWB retention holster, I remove both on long drives for comfort.

Both pistols were holstered, both were in the passenger seat amidst a bunch of assorted personal gear and some clothing.

Both weren't going anywhere unless some very serious bouncing around happened, even if then.

The Kahr is a pocket gun/holster, the XD9 4" in a Serpa OWB retention holster, I remove both on long drives for comfort.

You know what I meant.  I would rather endure a little discomfort and know that my gun is on me, and I will be able to access it when I need it.  My point is that serious bouncing around happens, and is probably more likely than not in a situation where you might have to fight from your vehicle.  Suit yourself, but I regularly make a 300 mile drive, the last 60 of which is basically a lane and a half of logging road, in a loud ass Jeep (which is not all that comfortable to begin with), and I don't think I have ever made that drive without at least one holstered pistol on my person in the 9 years I have been making it.

But again, I'm glad that everything worked out for you and I think you made the best of a potentially very bad situation.

• Like 1

You know what I meant.  I would rather endure a little discomfort and know that my gun is on me, and I will be able to access it when I need it.  My point is that serious bouncing around happens, and is probably more likely than not in a situation where you might have to fight from your vehicle.  Suit yourself, but I regularly make a 300 mile drive, the last 60 of which is basically a lane and a half of logging road, in a loud ass Jeep (which is not all that comfortable to begin with), and I don't think I have ever made that drive without at least one holstered pistol on my person in the 9 years I have been making it.

But again, I'm glad that everything worked out for you and I think you made the best of a potentially very bad situation.

One of the biggest takeaways from the investigation of the infamous FBI Miami shootout was retention of both firearms AND eye glasses as some agents lost control of both during the matter due to impact. Blind and disarmed is not the way to go.

One can use a mounted holster on the interior and satisfy that potential problem. 

• Like 1

Glad to hear you're safe on that, Chile.

I also had an incident here in Janesville(WI) that nearly saw a deployment of my Judge while fishing the Rock River, and my eldest daughter sleeping in the Jeep next to me.

Calmness and defensive body language suggested to the SoB(for the lack of a better term) that I may not have been as easy as he may have thought.