Need for hicap .308 mags...

Ya know... I still do not understand this "need" for .308 hicap magazines... I need to be filled in here as I must be missing something so PAINFULLY obvious that my redneck meter isnt even twitching... :cryss::unsure::blink:

I mean I dont think of the .308 as a plinker round... and I hear all this hooplah of "battlerifles needing hicaps" ... what?!?!?! you got insurgents or infiltrators you need to defend the frontline against regularly that you need a "battlerifle" to fight the battle?

Is the .308 so cheap now that it has become a good plinking round? to just go and blast off 2 or 3 hundred rounds in a half hour at rocks/jugs/sticks/cinderblocks/old tv's/whatever?!?!?!?

Personally I see the .308 as a hunting round... and in light of that... would want to use them sparingly... almost along the lines of one shot, one kill... and if I got REALLY lucky during deer season I would shoot TWO OR THREE Rounds in ONE DAY! and fill all my tags and not need it anymore that season... a simple 8 rounder would do me for that... no need for twenty... hell... cant even HUNT with more than 10... so thereagain... no need for a hicap...

I agree a 20 rounder would look cool in the Saiga... all AK styles need a long mag to have the AK-cool-look factor... but these guys that sell off the saiga .308 cause there are no hicaps... or buy one just cause hicaps are going to be available... I just DONT UNDERSTAND...

Can someone clue me in as to this all pressing *NEED* ?!?!?!? I dont mean a want or a desire, or even a whim... but that deep in the soul *NEED* for a hicap for the .308!?!?!?

What is it for that you JUST GOTTA HAVE a hicap for the Saiga .308 or your rifle is worthless and you might as well sell it off??!?!?!? :blink::blink::wacko::unsure::blink::blink:

:smoke:

Ya know... I still do not understand this "need" for .308 hicap magazines... I need to be filled in here as I must be missing something so PAINFULLY obvious that my redneck meter isnt even twitching... :cryss::unsure::blink:

I mean I dont think of the .308 as a plinker round... and I hear all this hooplah of "battlerifles needing hicaps" ... what?!?!?! you got insurgents or infiltrators you need to defend the frontline against regularly that you need a "battlerifle" to fight the battle?

Is the .308 so cheap now that it has become a good plinking round? to just go and blast off 2 or 3 hundred rounds in a half hour at rocks/jugs/sticks/cinderblocks/old tv's/whatever?!?!?!?

Personally I see the .308 as a hunting round... and in light of that... would want to use them sparingly... almost along the lines of one shot, one kill... and if I got REALLY lucky during deer season I would shoot TWO OR THREE Rounds in ONE DAY! and fill all my tags and not need it anymore that season... a simple 8 rounder would do me for that... no need for twenty... hell... cant even HUNT with more than 10... so thereagain... no need for a hicap...

I agree a 20 rounder would look cool in the Saiga... all AK styles need a long mag to have the AK-cool-look factor... but these guys that sell off the saiga .308 cause there are no hicaps... or buy one just cause hicaps are going to be available... I just DONT UNDERSTAND...

Can someone clue me in as to this all pressing *NEED* ?!?!?!? I dont mean a want or a desire, or even a whim... but that deep in the soul *NEED* for a hicap for the .308!?!?!?

What is it for that you JUST GOTTA HAVE a hicap for the Saiga .308 or your rifle is worthless and you might as well sell it off??!?!?!? :blink::blink::wacko::unsure::blink::blink:

I like to be prepared. I guess working in So. Central L.A. in 1992 has a way of doing that to you. :angry:

Personally, I wouldn't sell my .308 ( or any other weapon for that matter) due to a lack of hi cap magazine availability. But, like Da Groaner, it is good to be prepared for all contingencys. I purchase different weapons for different purposes and enjoy outfitting them in turn with utilitarian gear. I like to have multiple mags, including hi cap for all military style weapons. I don't know if you would call that a need, but it is my reasoning.

Personally, I wouldn't sell my .308 ( or any other weapon for that matter) due to a lack of hi cap magazine availability. But, like Da Groaner, it is good to be prepared for all contingencys. I purchase different weapons for different purposes and enjoy outfitting them in turn with utilitarian gear. I like to have multiple mags, including hi cap for all military style weapons. I don't know if you would call that a need, but it is my reasoning.

I can dig that... Hell.. I even want 3 of the hicaps "just to have them" too...

I just dont understand the logic of those that actually SOLD THEIR SAIGAS cause hicaps were not available... THATS the tweak I dont get...

I agree.

Do you compete with a rifle?

I can regularly exceed 30 rounds from my AR shooting.

If we look at a .308 sized round, the rifles to be used are counted on one hand.

G3/HK91

FAL

Saiga .308

M1A/M14

We regularly shoot at targets beyond 250 yards.

While overpowered, extra capacity would be good when pig/coyote hunting as well.

Edited by NoAim
Do you compete with a rifle?

I can regularly exceed 30 rounds from my AR shooting.

If we look at a .308 sized round, the rifles to be used are counted on one hand.

G3/HK91

FAL

Saiga .308

M1A/M14

We regularly shoot at targets beyond 250 yards.

While overpowered, extra capacity would be good when pig/coyote hunting as well.

SO far... you have been the first (In a VERY long time, because I have asked this before..) to give me ONE single good reason... in fact you have given me TWO...

Competition... I can certainly appreciate the need for a hard hitting, high power, hi cap laden rifle... POINT ONE MADE... I do not compete so I tend to not think about such a use for a rifle... once you mentioned it I kinda say "DUH" to myself... as thats a little more obvious upon further reflection. :lol:

WILD PIG hunting... I get soft in my NY state laws where there are virtually zero wild pigs.. ( There are some and in fact a buddy of mine shot a 400 pounder within 20 miles of here during deer season!!!)

I can also certainly understand the desire to have as MUCH firepower when dealing with wild boar. They will fuck up your whole day if you dont get them first!! (I still have the one round per critter philosophy... but with boar thats not quite applicable... they are a different status... LOL)

Thank you... you have given me two worthy examples with basis in fact not just "I gotta have em just in case" sort of whim...

Personally I want some just in case... but I am glad to be able to realize at least TWO "valid" points.

Pigs, yes. .223 & 7.62x39 have a hard time cracking the skull, which btw, is the only way to bring them down quickly. A few years ago I was introduced to boar hunting down in TX. One of the guys got charged after he got 3 rounds from his AR into it.

Zombie pigs - the only reason you need 20 rounders ;) ...

That and they look friggen cool!

My 2 cents...

I don't agree with those who sell off a particular weapon because of a mag situation.

Why did you buy it if they weren't available at the time of purchase? :rolleyes:

The 308 is a better dual purpose gun in that it is powerful enough to hunt big game AND be an effective self defense weapon. The 20 rounders could come in handy if thats the only gun you have. The 308 is also still a US military caliber and one of the most common calibers out there. You could find it on a battlefield if you had to. I like to be prepared.

The short answer: because I can.

For me the mere fact that high capacity mags piss off the brady bunch is reason enough to get some. :D

The so-called assualt weapons ban really did it to me - I have way many more high capacity mags than I will ever have use for, but I will never again be caught without some.

Also, if I ever did want to sell my S308, then having high cap mags for it will make it much more valuable. Banish the thought.

Edited by O.S.O.K.

i just like being able to load a full box of ammo at one time. i keep 20s in my house ak because i don't like loose rounds scattered about.

need is always an iffy thing w/guns and such. when it comes to even owning guns people like to question the need for that. no, there are no marauding hordes or wild pigs or great distances in my neighborhood but i have guns setup for all those things.

the cops i've known have gone years or often their entire careers without firing their weapons, let alone drawing, but not one would say cops don't need guns. most shootouts end w/two or three well-placed shots but not one of those officers' primary weapon was a derringer.

for me, having guns isn't about what usually happens but for that rare, once in a lifetime occurence i hope and pray passes me by.

I said the very same many many moons ago when the daewoo thread was alive.I was never in the need to have hi caps for my S-308,the 8 rd was fine with me.I even got a second S-308 but this time it was a 22" barreled version.

It is nice that we are getting some 20 rd mags now,but it failed to happen and we never heard of them again I would not sell my rifles because of that.

I still have a Cetme with plenty of cheap 20 rd mags.I have a Vepr that takes M14 mags and more than my share of .308 surplus ammo.My S-308 will have those hi-caps for if the need for them is there.I only really plan to shoot the S-308 from the bench or stand and my 8 rd will only have the 8 for one of those lucky days.In Texas there is not a mag limit.If I wanted to I could take a fully load 30 rd mag hunting,but that would asinine.

I would like another 8 rd mag though,good to have a spare.

To me it really boils down to what you want the gun for. Its a lot like cars. Do you need a car that will ford a stream. Do I, no. If I had a ranch in montana? maybe.

For me, my AKs are serious social tools, not hunting guns, not target guns. My likely scenario for using a long gun are: an active shooter scenario in the parking lot of the local mall, a natural disaster (I live on a fault line with 3 volcanoes, near rivers that flood)... If history is any indication, in a Katrina/LA Riot/Active Shooter scenario, there will be mulitple targets, intermediate cover, and ranges will be short to medium distances. Capacity is definately not the be all end all, nor is it a substitute for marksmenship, tactics... . But that said, more is, in fact, "more".

I also carry a 15 shooter Glock for the same reason.

. But that said, more is, in fact, "more".

Exactly. But what I cannot understand is...SELLING A GUN?

BLASPHEMY!

No sell. Buy guns. KEEP guns. There is no sell!

Edited by G O B

I am perfectly happy with my .308 8-rounders, but if 20 rounders are available, then sure I'll take some. It's freedom of choice, not because I need them, but I'd like to have them. If the case is being made that high-cap aren't necessary, then being restricted to 10 rounds on all our firearms should be no big deal.

The way I see it, if you can have more, then why not.

Do people need a car that does over 85, or do people need a million dollar house, or do women need 100 pairs of shoes? Probably not, but it's their right.

If I'm allowed to have high-caps, then I will exercise that right.

I've got an extended fuels tank on my truck,I've got a pantry with 10x the food that I need and I am buying my wife a set of fake boobs 3x the size of the set my two kids deflated while nursing,big magazines are a natural and small magazines are a symbol of ATF tyranny.

Do you think for one minute the Russians would have made the thing 8rd if

our country wasn't making facist limitations on firearms magazines when they first started exporting them?

Besides,I am also preparing to repel hoardes of Chinese Body Builder Zombies and their Bigfoot allies so I will probably get some of those 308 Beta 100rd drums when they come out as well :D

I've got an extended fuels tank on my truck,I've got a pantry with 10x the food that I need and I am buying my wife a set of fake boobs 3x the size of the set my two kids deflated while nursing,big magazines are a natural and small magazines are a symbol of ATF tyranny.

Do you think for one minute the Russians would have made the thing 8rd if

our country wasn't making facist limitations on firearms magazines when they first started exporting them?

Besides,I am also preparing to repel hoardes of Chinese Body Builder Zombies and their Bigfoot allies so I will probably get some of those 308 Beta 100rd drums when they come out as well :D

I love this reply !! ;)

I think this thread is off topic. I would hope no one on this thread would debate the merits of owning hi cap magazines. I believe the original question is "Why sell your gear due to a lack of hi cap mags?" Hi cap mags are great, but selling a weapon... NO!

Edited by USpride

I believe this last post hits the nail pretty well on the thumb... :lol:

We all know hicaps are fun... I just dont understand the logic of "I dont have hicaps... so I might as well sell the rifle/ So I sold my rifle..." :huh:

WHY DID YOU BUY IT TO BEGIN WITH?!?!??!? :blink:

I believe this last post hits the nail pretty well on the thumb... :lol:

We all know hicaps are fun... I just dont understand the logic of "I dont have hicaps... so I might as well sell the rifle/ So I sold my rifle..." :huh:

WHY DID YOU BUY IT TO BEGIN WITH?!?!??!? :blink:

That's why I didn't buy mine until the hi-caps became available. :haha: