AGP 10 rd MAG pics/reviews? PLEASE POST HERE

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I popped the feed clips off my five rounders and put them on my new magazines

Why?

In other news...

Got my 2 mags today. Man, these things are works of art! At just over 1" longer than the Russian 8-rounders, they're long, but not as absurdly so as they appeared in some of the early photos. In fact, overall length is *identical* to a 45rd RPK-74 mag.

Molded parts are clean with no excess flashing to trim off. The halves of the mag fit together perfectly; the seam lines show no gaps or unevenness at all. There is a small square blemish on the front of each mag, just beneath the third set of ribs. It is symmetrical (straddles the seam), and looks to be an artifact left over from the molding process (like where a plastic model part would attach to the sprue). Both the mag body and the floorplate are clearly marked "AGP Arms - AZ, USA".

The follower and metal reinforcement/feed lips are, to my eyes, indistinguishable from the factory design. Followers moved smoothly and evenly, without showing any tendency to bind or nosedive.

Both mags were easily loaded to full capacity by hand. Fully loaded mags were a bit tight locking into the mag well, but did so under a closed bolt easier than my factory 8-rounders. Mags were effortlessly removed upon hitting the mag catch. Both mags fed reliably by hand-cycling, provided you ran the bolt at full speed and didn't "baby" it at all in either direction.

In short, I think AGP has hit a home run with this product. The 10-round capacity will find favor with competition shooters, and as a "special purpose" mag for the rest of us (in much the same vein as using an RPK mag in an AK, or a 40-rounder in an AR). The ability to cut the mag off at any of the horizontal ribs and attach an external floorplate (soon to be released, hopefully) to create a reduced size/capacity version is pure genius, and a feature that practical-minded shooters will appreciate.

I initially said I didn't see myself buying any more AGP mags beyond my initial two. Now that I have them in-hand, well... it looks like I lied. :lolol: I've put my name on the list to be notified when the second production run kicks off.

That's all for now. Range report and pics to come.

The stainless feed lips are too flexible, and will bend did I read some place that APG was going to send spring steel feed lips out to every one shortly? Anyway your right these are a home run Thanks to the team at APG Arms

I know the guy driving that UFO

I once posted a thread on shotgunworld tactical shotgun section stating that this planet was lost because aliens had captured our ultimate weapons the two little green guys had mine and Eric's Saiga they were a bit miffed.

Shot 3-Gun match today. AGP 10 rounders used on the two shotgun stages. I was able to reload on a closed bolt very quickly.

The reload drill is to push the mag release and empty magazine in the same motion (instead of grabbing the magazine and pulling it out). Kinda like slapping someone with the back of your hand. Grap your magazine from your magazine holder (purchased from Cheaper than Dirt when they had old French leather magazine pouches). Insert the front slot of the magazine onto the front edge of the Saiga's magazine port, smoothly rotate magazine to seat it.

Unfortunately, this drill did not work well with the stainless steel shell retainer. I had to steal the tempered steel

retainers from my 5 and 8 round magazines. The stainless steel retainers don't hold the top round tight enough and make it difficult to rotate the magazine to seat it.

I know this drill sounds retarded, but the back of the hand removal technique is what really increased my speed.

Old and slow

Edited by oldandslow
I know this drill sounds retarded, but the back of the hand removal technique is what really increased my speed.

No, it doesn't. A noted firearms instructor teaches a similar technique, where the mag release is whacked by the fresh mag itself, prior to insertion. With a little training, it can be VERY fast.

I went deer hunting in west Texas this week. I didn't leave town until 3:45 on wednesday. I was waiting on the UPS man :smoke: I shot 30 rounds of 3" winchester OO buck, 45 rounds of 2 3/4" winchester slugs, and my own slug and buckshot handloads with these mags. ALL functioned perfectly. I tried some light Brazilian RIO shells and some winchester big-box crap that never fed well in my 5 rounder. 1 jam out of 10 on average but I opened my gas port a couple of thousandths just recently. Par for the course. My shotgun looks sooooooo badass with that magazine riding on the rack in my four wheeler. I took it fixing feeders this morning just for show! I loved my Saiga before. It is my favorite longarm now. Thanks, AGP. Thanks alot.

PS. I did have a problem will the feed lips. I removed them and squezed them tighter the minute I took them out of boxes and loaded them a couple of times. That seemed to work. However, if AGP is sending spring steel versions to the first buyers of their mags, I think it would make alot of difference. Altogether, these mags are looooooooong overdue. I want more of them and at least 1 more Saiga 12. This time, a shorty. I would like an 11" with polychoke decked out like my current Sailil 12 but with a shorter walnut handguard and an ACE stock.

---Catter

Edited by Wildcatter

Got my ten rd mags last Tuesday and took them to the range this past weekend. All functioned flawlessly. Thanks Kevin and AGP for putting out a good and much needed product.

Also I used my S-12 in a class this weekend for a long gun to handgun transition drill. For several students, this was their first time firing a 12 guage. I got several compliments on how mild the recoil was for experienced shooters and that the "kick" wasn't as bad as they expected for the first time shooters.