You saw it here first!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that's what I have been waiting for. I've been trying to figure out what type of mods would have to be done to their Ultimak for the AKs to make it fit the Saiga, but now it looks like I can just wait for a manufactured one.

Question: Does it look like this is just a mount or is it a mount/ gas tube replacement like the AK version? If it is a mount/ gas tube replacement, will it count as a compliance part?

Dude I just figured out a cool way to mount one of those aluminum rails to replace the rib sight system on the 12 and 20.

Pic's? Any plan's on making a few? I lost the adjustment screw on my rib sight in the woods. Now I need a new sight sys.

Edited by trukreltrog

I called Ultimak and they said at LEAST a month if not more. Also they are TOYING with making their three rail set up adapt to the Saiga 12. the guy I talked to was like "well we don't know if there is much interest in the Saga 12..." So here is the deal, start calling them up and asking about the rail.

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

Now that's what I have been waiting for. I've been trying to figure out what type of mods would have to be done to their Ultimak for the AKs to make it fit the Saiga, but now it looks like I can just wait for a manufactured one.

Question: Does it look like this is just a mount or is it a mount/ gas tube replacement like the AK version? If it is a mount/ gas tube replacement, will it count as a compliance part?

The gas tube is not one of the 20 listed parts, so I don't see how this can be used to affect the parts count even if it is a whole new tube.

The gas tube is not one of the 20 listed parts, so I don't see how this can be used to affect the parts count even if it is a whole new tube.

Lets not forget, it's difficult to remove as well.

We have been working with Ultimak for a few months on this project, prototypes will be out this month for testing , we will send a few of these to members of this board for evaluation, we do not expect to see these in sales circulation for a few months.

Atlantic Firearms,llc

Let me know if I can help out? I'd be willing to "but it thru it's paces" at a match or two, and during practice sessions. Also be willing to test it's ability to hold a zero, and allow a return to that zero. ETA, Zero testing would be done with slugs, so a little "abuse" testing would also be done.

Edited by kmoore

I use a JP took out the rear site made a better dove tail and mounted it there and it holds a good zero I have my slugs at 75 yards and can shoot a good group. I Live in South Texas and it is hot here the heat is no problem at all.

Edited by mark78410

From the source:

The new M11 will be available within the next few months. There are two

different Saiga configurations, which will require two different mounts.

The first one to come available will fit the fixed sight shotguns, to be

followed by a mount for the adjustable rib models.

Lyle Keeney

UltiMAK, Inc.

I just put an ULTIMAK on my son's .223 3 gun rifle, he loves it although I'm having a bit of difficutly attaching the front hand guard. At any rate I will be ordering two of those as soon as I they hit the market. The best tactical shotgun on the planet just keeps getting better.

This is the sight rail I never knew I was waiting for. I have been holding off on getting a side mount because it wasn't really what I wanted for my -20 sporter, the and the chunky mil-style top rails don't mesh well with my BRG3 Oak stocks, but this, well, this is great! Might make me go shopping for some optics now!! Is that a weaver type rail thingie? :unsure:

DangerMan

how will this do with heat management? how badly will it transfer heat to an electronic sight?

pat

I've also been curious about the heat transfer.

I'd hate to spend money on an Eotech only to cook it.

Any first hand experiences?

A|G

how will this do with heat management? how badly will it transfer heat to an electronic sight?

pat

You asked the best question of the day. Personally, I would not have an optic on an ALUMINUM Ultimak gas tube rail on an AK rifle. Only a really rich guy would cook his expensive electronic optics on what is basically a heat sink. I have read and heard about many an optic that has failed and even had the batteries explode in that way (here come the Ultimak seller rebuttals denying it).

BUT. . .the S-12 contains MOST of its gas tube heat in the front portions due to the contained piston, which is no longer one and the same with the piston, and in the S-12 is more of an operating rod than a piston. So, IF mounted fairly far aft, this one Ultimak AK tube rail may actually work without heat problems on the S-12.

pat

You asked the best question of the day. Personally, I would not have an optic on an ALUMINUM Ultimak gas tube rail on an AK rifle. Only a really rich guy would cook his expensive electronic optics on what is basically a heat sink. I have read and heard about many an optic that has failed and even had the batteries explode in that way (here come the Ultimak seller rebuttals denying it).

It only makes sense that it would be bad news for electonic sights.

I guess if you wanted to use a Reflex, you'd be fine.

A|G

• 2 weeks later...

pat

BUT. . .the S-12 contains MOST of its gas tube heat in the front portions due to the contained piston, which is no longer one and the same with the piston, and in the S-12 is more of an operating rod than a piston. So, IF mounted fairly far aft, this one Ultimak AK tube rail may actually work without heat problems on the S-12.

Can you provide a link to any source with verification that optics have failed from heat transferance or batteries have exploded in the optic while mounted on an Ultimak gas tube?

Shep

Not an Ultimak seller, just a longtime user. I've run Ultimaks on a SAR-2, SLR-105 and SLR-106, with optics as cheap as a BSA and as durable as an Aimpoint, and have never had any of the issues inparidel describes. Finally, bear in mind that the Ultimak Saiga-12 rail attaches over the actual gas tube, and so is more removed/insulated from heat than the rifle Ultimaks, which replace the gas tube.

Finally, every time someone brings up a catastrophic heat-related battery issue, it seems to be with an EOTech. I'm betting those folks are/were running Alkaline AA batteries, where the potential for problems does in fact exist. Switching over to Lithium AA's should remedy the problem, as they are much more resistant to heat fluctuations.

Edited by shooter2