My brother is sending me a few old SKS's he has (I know one is Yugo, think the rest are china) in various stages of completion. He got out of that aspect of the hobby a long time ago, does mostly crazy shooting w/ his anschutz (Man those things are expensive!!) so he's offered me most of his red star stuff.

Now...this would be my first experience w/ an SKS. What mods would you guys recomend? I was looking at either a choate stock setup, or maybe a T6?

Appreciated!

James

do what you want with that yugo,but keep the chinese ones stock. Those are chrome lined

right? I've got a crazy yugo project going as we speak. I doing my first tat job on it. Tapco T6,16'' barrel,and one of Ricks vortex flash hiders. If you want good mags,those Tapco 20 rounders work great. They are solid. Go to thier site and watch the videos.

I have an M59 that I decked out in a T6 and a red dot. Used it for 3 gun here in CA where you have to have a fixed mag if you have a pistol grip. Got pretty good with the stripper clips.

Tapco also has new poly 20 round mags that I hear actually work.

Of course I kept the old stock and hand guard in case I get nostalgic.

My brother is sending me a few old SKS's he has (I know one is Yugo, think the rest are china) in various stages of completion. He got out of that aspect of the hobby a long time ago, does mostly crazy shooting w/ his anschutz (Man those things are expensive!!) so he's offered me most of his red star stuff.

Now...this would be my first experience w/ an SKS. What mods would you guys recomend? I was looking at either a choate stock setup, or maybe a T6?

Appreciated!

James

I have a buddy thats a gunsmith here that machines the reciever and bolt so they will take a AK mag. with ZERO feed problems. he also shortens them down to a 14 inch barrel then welds on a brake to bring it back legal.

sks.bmp

untitled.bmp

Appreciated!

James

I have a buddy thats a gunsmith here that machines the reciever and bolt so they will take a AK mag. with ZERO feed problems. he also shortens them down to a 14 inch barrel then welds on a brake to bring it back legal.

What does he charge?

• 4 weeks later...
Stock SKS really don't need much added to them. If I needed one refinished I would look into getting the whole thing gray-green parkerized. I'd snatch up one of these in a heartbeat: parkedbig.jpg

I came across one of those last year for $200. I REALLY wanted it, but some asshat stuck a duckbill in it and the original mag was nowhere to be found.

I passed.

Here's one of mine.

Got a great deal on a shooter grade with a cracked stock.

So I slapped a T-6 on it, plus the Tapco muzzle break (+other 922 Crap)

so I may have saved a few bucks.....BUT Tapco robbed me blind getting compliance parts.

Kinda like gold plating a bic pen BUT,

what the hell...I had fun doing it.

also got a MINT Chinese one.

My_SKS.jpg

I looked at an old Tapco catalog I had from '04 the other day, before they carried the T-6 stocks. They wanted 3$ for the US made op rod and 9$ for the US piston. Now they want 9$ for the op rod and 25$ for the piston- exact same parts. I can't blame them though, its a decent company and it's better they profit and stay in business than dissapear forever.

I got both of my Yugo's for a wopping $89 bucks a piece,shooter grade,wood was real bad but the bores were good and the blueing on one was nice.I only need to change out the launchers for muzzlebreaks.I put new gas valves in both and a Murrys spring loaded firing pin in one and they are now as dependable as a AK and just as fast to change out mags (Tapco 20rd). Since this pic ive removed the scope and mount from the T-6 OD green one on the right and installed a Ultra Dot red dot scope on the forward rail.Some may say why not just buy a AK after all the changes.......well,the SKS's were cheap and i got plenty of AK's...plus the T-6 SKS's are just plain cool :devil: and can be put back to the original configuration if needed.Also i just plain like to tinker with guns.

SKSyugotapco.jpg

Those are cool, I've got the same thing going. I've got a $89 yugo that I stripped the FSB and grenade launcher off . I put the tan Tapco T-6, and Tromix is goin to chop the barrel and put shark brake on it. Definately polishing a turd. :D

I have a Yugo SKS and I'm keeping it stock. I can reload it using stripper clips faster than a magazine change. Any modifications; stocks will cost as much as the rifle did. There's nothing wrong with Yugos and they're well made. I don't shoot corrosive ammo anyway so the lack of chrome isn't a problem with me. I've seen Russian SKS barrels which were corroded even with the chrome lining.

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ May 12 2007, 07:46 PM)
Yugo is fine as it came. I may change out the 'launcher for a muzzlebreak-but only if I can find one that still works as a launcher.

Will the Tapco still work????

I've been eyeing those Yugo SKSs. Do you have to play the 922r game if you drop it into one of those t6 stocks? I'd like to keep it more or less stock (maybe get rid of the grenade sight and add a ts200 sight). I'm not really onto the detachable mags. Do they work well?

I've been eyeing those Yugo SKSs. Do you have to play the 922r game if you drop it into one of those t6 stocks? I'd like to keep it more or less stock (maybe get rid of the grenade sight and add a ts200 sight). I'm not really onto the detachable mags. Do they work well?

They work alright but they have that stupid looking piece hanging off of the front. It's like half of a hinge attatched to the magazine. Several years ago when I bought my norinco sks for $70 and ammunition was $2 a box, the was an adapter that fit into the stock where the hinge part fit. Then the sks would take AK magazines. The reliability varied from rifle to rifle. I put mine bact to the stock configuration and my SKS is in the back of the safe collecting dust. Nice gun though, it has the milled trigger assembly and chrome lined barrel. I just lost intrest in it when I bought my Mak 90 about six months later.