Just paint the whole thing

I got some high temp rustoleum paint. How about while I got it torn apart just painting the whole thing rather than just the bottom of the receiver. Any reason why not? It is not like the russian paint finish is art or anything.

That's pretty much what I did with mine,painted the reciever/barrel just before final assembly (used the same paint,too :D ).Then I painted the fcg,bolt carrier and top cover gloss black,just for a contrast.

Edited by Telly458

screw in reiceiver remove it slide forward. has any one had problem with cleaners on rustoleum or engine paint i used it on 762 cpl power blast melted paint right off. now i dura coat them. never tried it with rustoleum but heard it doesnt hold up to soulvants?

I've used the Krylon BBQ paint to very good effect. Even better is the Sherwin Williams industrial marine spray paint. It's essentially Duracoat in a spray can. After you heat it, it's dern near industructible. Another good option is Diplicolor engine paint. Only problem with it is, it's kinda thick. Works good, though.

screw in reiceiver remove it slide forward. has any one had problem with cleaners on rustoleum or engine paint i used it on 762 cpl power blast melted paint right off. now i dura coat them. never tried it with rustoleum but heard it doesnt hold up to soulvants?

i dont see a screw in the reciever anywhere near the handguard... only the screw holding the sling holder on underneath...

edit: that screw did the trick...

Edited by jaak
Duplicolor 500 degree Low gloss black...stick in oven at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours...open all windows :smoke:

+1 top that. thats the paint that i use. i never have problems with solvents taking it off. its good stuff

Duplicolor 500 degree Low gloss black...stick in oven at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours...open all windows :smoke:

+1 top that. thats the paint that i use. i never have problems with solvents taking it off. its good stuff

Yep....spray and bake....best to do this while the better half is away :unsure:

Would this paint (1200 degree Krylon high temperature) benefit from baking? How about if I slap an AK on the barbie? I have a gas grill outside. It is long enough so the frau might just look at me like I am insane (happens a lot) but not too bitchy because I stinked up her house.

Probably has to be an oven huh?

I did my .308 with duplicolor 1200 in the bbq. I had a thermometer to check the temp and was able to vary the temp by blocking the lid space. I have a front and back burner. I turned off the back and the front was barely on. You have to vary the lid opening because even at the lowest setting it can get over 450. Results will be different for different grills. I have a charbroil so maybe a weber will do the trick. I won't use charcoal though. I did some small parts in the toaster oven and I wasn't to crazy how that came out.

Tony Rumore said he does his firearms with a pizza in the oven so that may be the trade secret to his finishes.

I may have posted in the tech section, or someone else did, someplace here... was a link to a CHEAP paint oven, made with stovepipe, and a hair dryer, or heat gun... they used metal grates to fit inside, or coat hangars to make holders for the gun to rest in, then they closed off one end, and put the heat gun/hair dryer in the other... fired it up... when the barbecue thermometer read 300... they backed it off, and let it cook on low, till done... all done OUTSIDE... no fuss no muss, and CHEAP!

look it up...

:smoke:

Do these bake on paints resist strong gun cleaners? My factory paint job is gone around the trigger and bolt carrier, needs to be stripped and repainted.

Brake parts cleaner will completely strip Duplicolor, so if you use it as a degreaser you can only do so before the part is painted. If you need to do a touch up later you pretty much have to use a detergent type degreaser. I found this out the hard way :eek: , luckily it was only on the gas tube so it wasn't a big deal to just strip and repaint it.

I may have posted in the tech section, or someone else did, someplace here... was a link to a CHEAP paint oven, made with stovepipe, and a hair dryer, or heat gun... they used metal grates to fit inside, or coat hangars to make holders for the gun to rest in, then they closed off one end, and put the heat gun/hair dryer in the other... fired it up... when the barbecue thermometer read 300... they backed it off, and let it cook on low, till done... all done OUTSIDE... no fuss no muss, and CHEAP!

look it up...

damn brilliant idea... i work in heating industry

at only 300 degrees... you could use galvanized pipe... whole lot cheaper than stove pipe

Edited by mccumber1916

It doesn't say so on the can but I think this rustoleum 1200 paint probably could benefit from baking. I don't know if I did not prep properly (purple power, acetone, water) but it just keeps coming off. Two days later I still get black on my hands handling it. Guess I will have to redo it and as soon as the mama's back is turned slap it in the oven.

It doesn't say so on the can but I think this rustoleum 1200 paint probably could benefit from baking. I don't know if I did not prep properly (purple power, acetone, water) but it just keeps coming off. Two days later I still get black on my hands handling it. Guess I will have to redo it and as soon as the mama's back is turned slap it in the oven.

Baking would help for sure. Be sure and prep the surface as well. I lightly scuffed mine with some 300 grit paper and then cleaned it real good with Jasco etching metal primer.

look it up...

damn brilliant idea... i work in heating industry

at only 300 degrees... you could use galvanized pipe... whole lot cheaper than stove pipe

I gave this a try. I saw some vent pipes with insulation around them in a dumpster and requisitioned one. I cut it down to about 3.5 foot, cut a hole for my heat gun, drilled a hole for a thermometer, covered the top and let it rip. Unfortunately it only got to 188 degrees F. bummer. I am thinking about punching a couple more holes and using my propane heating torch to see if I can give it a little more kick.