Gauging interest in a multiple-position gas regulator knob

I plan on making a multiple position gas regulator for myself, and may or may not see how feasible it is to produce them for public sale . I read about "CS Metall Werkes" 5 position gas regulator, but can't find any product links on their site. Is someone currently making these? The design I have in mind would have more than 5 positions (not sure about the total yet). Is there a market for this? Just curious.

usptac,

The ones I designed were 6 position (2 + 4 extra). Once you go from #2 setting (wide open) to the 90-degree mark, the gas-port is closed. You have 90-degrees to work with. You can only get 4 detents cut, in that amount of space.

The reason I went to the trouble of making them was because I wanted a 'turn-knob' on them.

I would never go to the trouble of doing them again, too much work just to get the knob, which is rarely used.

Lathing them out of steel, milling the detents, milling the knob, then heat-treating.... a lot of work for what it is, imho.

If you just want the extra positions, a dremel and steady hand is all that is needed.

Just did one for a customer, and just dremel'd it.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anymore info. I just don't think it is a really feasable endeavor for you.

Matt

C&S

gas1.jpg

gas.jpg

Edited by C&S Metall-Werkes

I got to agree with you.

I think any S-12 can benefit from opening up the ports.

Every gun I did, I enlarged the ports, whether the gun was 12" or 18". Makes the gun more reliable, and you could back the gas off at the knob, to avoid battering the weapon.

When we set up our guns to fire reliably with the 5rd mags and Wally World low-brass, they would have multiple FTF/FTE with the 10rd AGP mags. Clicking to the next gas setting, would fix it immediately...hair more recoil, but nothing violent to the weapon.

Adjustable port is cool, but the benefit really comes into play when you open up the ports.

Quick question for you guys, the little round piston looking dealy in the gas tube that slides out the front... is that supposed to slide around an inch or so when correctly installed? Mine rattles and slides, I haven't fired the gun yet and won't until I know it's safe.

Quick question for you guys, the little round piston looking dealy in the gas tube that slides out the front... is that supposed to slide around an inch or so when correctly installed? Mine rattles and slides, I haven't fired the gun yet and won't until I know it's safe.

The noise it makes sucks but it is a good sign. When you stop hearing it or hear it not sliding as good is when it is time to clean your gas system.

I don't know if opening the holes would do it- the stock regulator covers up some of the holes as you turn it.

Maybe if you re-drilled the hole pattern in the gas block...where the plug could cover them up gradually...awww just thinking out loud.

I think their a large pool of guys who would be interested. Of course that pool gets shallower the deeper into there pockets they need to reach.

I think it be a great impovement but would need some concept of cost before I'd be able to commit.

I too would be very interested as I have similar on my Daewoo DR-200 which is by far my favorite 5.56. It's a great concept/application that I wish more rifles had. So are you thinking S-12's only or developing something for rifles as well? What kind of price point?

Cheers,

TOU

2. A self-regulating gas valve

This would be better!

edit: like on a M-14, AR-15 just load and shoot.

Rifle loads don't vary nearly as much as shotgun loads. You'll note that Saiga rifles don't need the adjustable regulator either.