Ammunition Decision!!!

Hi everyone!

I just got back from Gander Mountain, where I found out someone didn't tell me that the ammo I had held for me were NOT the Golden Tiger for $3.99 a box (7.62X39) I had asked for. They were the Wolf Military Classic for $5 a box. I was upset, not being given the right information. They relented, giving me the boxes for $4.00 each! It was very nice of them to help me out!

However, they gave me the bad news, and that is, since this caliber is used everywhere and hunting season is coming up, that prices are going up on this ammo another --- 15% --- ON TOP of the $5.00 for the Wolf Military Classic brand.

Since there is a gun show in town, tomorrow, I would like some help deciding on what to do.

1) Do I hold off (since I just bought 860 rounds at GM) so that I can use my remaining income during next month to buy me a spotting scope and magazines and risk paying the extra 80 cents to possibly a $1.20 extra per box in October?

2) Or, since it's not September yet and I have spent the allotted cash on this ammo for August, do I go ahead and do a direct cash advance of $200 with a finance charge of $20 ($220 to be yanked out on my next direct deposit next week) so that I can go to the gun show and buy even more at roughly $90-100 + tax + gun and parking fee ($100 + 9 + 14 = $123) per case and worry about the spotting equipment later?

The firing range just lost their spotting scopes on the 50-yard lanes! I don't have a spotting scope.

Now, given all this. I need some long-term perspective on ammunition costs. I have been involved with firearms for only 3-4 months now, and thusly, I don't know the behavior of the ammunition market other than it goes up in price for hunting season and whenever there is a war going on, especially since China and India are gobbling up resources never seen in the last 6,000 years. Am I panicking? Should I cool off and just stuff it and buy what ammo I can afford at whatever the price may become? Do prices really go up and down over the seasons and years? The sales people tell me "prices never really go down," and laugh. True or not?

I have over 1,000 rounds, but I live on a fixed income, and ammo's going up 25+% a year, in addition to rent, food, and fuel costs going up. This ammo is for "deep storage," really, truly (those here inside the gold markets will get the joke). I'm trying to max my bulk buying power before it disappears completely. I have to make this decision by tonight, since I'm off work tomorrow for this reason, but I have to work Sunday, so I can't go on Sunday. I'm in Houston, by the way.

Thanks!

Edited by deaf-sg-1
Hi everyone!

I just got back from Gander Mountain, where I found out someone didn't tell me that the ammo I had held for me were NOT the Golden Tiger for $3.99 a box (7.62X39) I had asked for. They were the Wolf Military Classic for $5 a box. I was upset, not being given the right information. They relented, giving me the boxes for $4.00 each! It was very nice of them to help me out!

However, they gave me the bad news, and that is, since this caliber is used everywhere and hunting season is coming up, that prices are going up on this ammo another --- 15% --- ON TOP of the $5.00 for the Wolf Military Classic brand.

Since there is a gun show in town, tomorrow, I would like some help deciding on what to do.

1) Do I hold off (since I just bought 860 rounds at GM) so that I can use my remaining income during next month to buy me a spotting scope and magazines and risk paying the extra 80 cents to possibly a $1.20 extra per box in October?

2) Or, since it's not September yet and I have spent the allotted cash on this ammo for August, do I go ahead and do a direct cash advance of $200 with a finance charge of $20 ($220 to be yanked out on my next direct deposit next week) so that I can go to the gun show and buy even more at roughly $90-100 + tax + gun and parking fee ($100 + 9 + 14 = $123) per case and worry about the spotting equipment later?

The firing range just lost their spotting scopes on the 50-yard lanes! I don't have a spotting scope.

Now, given all this. I need some long-term perspective on ammunition costs. I have been involved with firearms for only 3-4 months now, and thusly, I don't know the behavior of the ammunition market other than it goes up in price for hunting season and whenever there is a war going on, especially since China and India are gobbling up resources never seen in the last 6,000 years. Am I panicking? Should I cool off and just stuff it and buy what ammo I can afford at whatever the price may become? Do prices really go up and down over the seasons and years? The sales people tell me "prices never really go down," and laugh. True or not?

I have over 1,000 rounds, but I live on a fixed income, and ammo's going up 25+% a year, in addition to rent, food, and fuel costs going up. This ammo is for "deep storage," really, truly (those here inside the gold markets will get the joke). I'm trying to max my bulk buying power before it disappears completely. I have to make this decision by tonight, since I'm off work tomorrow for this reason, but I have to work Sunday, so I can't go on Sunday. I'm in Houston, by the way.

Thanks!

AMMOMAN.com currently has Golden Tiger at $179.00 for 1000 rounds with FREE shipping. That works out to less than the $3.99 per box of 20 that you were quoted. I ordered a case from them a few weeks ago at that price (which is still current) and had no issues. In looking around, that is the best deal out there for 7.62x39 ammo.

One other thing...if you need to sight in and dont have a spotting scope, just dial your gun in at 25 yards. No scope needed. Once you get it right on the money for windage and elevetion at 25, you will only need to make a minor elevation adjustment at 100. Dont spend money on a spotting scope unless and until you have the ammo you need. Ammo will get a lot more expensive before scopes will.

I'm perceiving that you're implying to me that it's better to get the ammo now and wait on the spotting scope than to buy the spotting scope and pay a higher price on the ammo. I didn't hear from you regarding long-term purchasing plans and how they should reflect current market/fundamental conditions.

I do not have a scope at all, so how will I be able to eagle-eyed see my shots on the target that is 50 yards away? This is for shooting with iron sights at 50-100 yards only. The scope will go on a long-range rifle I might buy next year, but not on the Saiga.

Thanks!

Edited by deaf-sg-1

Here's my $.02.

One can't really predict ammo prices very far into the future, so shop around for a while to get an idea what a "good deal" and a "bad deal" is, and then bite the bullet (pun intended) and just go for what's cheapest/best accuracy for the cost. Walmart probably has 10x25 el cheapo binoculars for $15 or $20,which I imagine would be enough for 25 or 50 yards. I'd definitely buy up on ammo before a scope.

That's my two cents,

Acer

I do not have a scope at all, so how will I be able to eagle-eyed see my shots on the target that is 50 yards away? This is for shooting with iron sights at 50-100 yards only. The scope will go on a long-range rifle I might buy next year, but not on the Saiga.

Thanks!

When I go to the range I bring a roll of white butchers paper and a $5 pack of gay-glo orange bullseye stickers. I staple up enough paper to cover a good section of the target frame, then slap half a dozen stickers on it. This gives me a clean, "no holes" area to shoot at and I can easily see where I am hitting at 50 yds with no need for a scope. Its actually cheaper than buying real targets, and I spend less time peering thru a scope or marching back and forth to swap one out. Plus it helps if i'm sighting in a gun that is waaay off, I can see even if its hitting 2 feet high and to the right.

As far as the long term ammo market goes, IMHO it will only go UP. Hunting season has nothing to do with that, if anything I see sales on popular calibers at that time. If I were you I would shop around on the web and buy as much now as possible.

"AMMOMAN.com currently has Golden Tiger at $179.00 for 1000 rounds with FREE shipping. That works out to less than the $3.99 per box of 20 that you were quoted. I ordered a case from them a few weeks ago at that price (which is still current) and had no issues. In looking around, that is the best deal out there for 7.62x39 ammo."

actually,AIM is a little cheaper. i'm getting a case of GT delivered to georgia ($18 s&h) for a total of $177.

hey, it's TWO bucks !!!

At the fun show here 2 weeks ago the tiger was $90 for a 1/2 case (500 rounds).

Most of the time ammo can be had for cheaper online even with shipping. (From my experience)

Just last year I snapped up 500 rounds of wolf .223 for $2.49 a box (reg 2.79/box), now I see it's up to $6.99 a box.

At about the same time I bought a case of 7.62x39 wolf for $95, now it's double. Kinda silly.

I'd say go for the ammo, maybe a cheap pair of binoculars for spotting. If you miss because you didn't have the rifle sighted in properly, you have 29 more tries left in the mag.

When the zombies come for you you'll wish you opted for the ammo. :chris:

borrow money at the cost of $20 just to shoot it?

i like the enthusiasm

I have decided that I'm not quite that enthusiastic, for money reasons. I've decided that I'm going to order from ammoman.com next week when I get paid again. I can either buy the GT now for 179 + 20 for the finance charge ($199), or I can wait until Friday next week and try to get the GT at that time, if it goes up, I'll simply get the Wolf Military Classic for $199. Same deal, but I'm hoping that the GT deal will still be around a week from now. According to ammoman's e-mails, he will have these for a while, as he has been receiving shipments around 2-3 million rounds per week in assorted calibers. I'm going to e-mail him just to be sure.

I looked at AIM, but they want my driver's license info. Don't think so...

And I want to thank everyone's input, past and future, on this decision. I've got coworkers who have spotting scopes, and I'm going to ask the range about the missing spotting scopes and whether they will be replaced. If they will, then I can get my ammo up to the required minimum posted by my unit leader. You're right - ammo is a lot more fatal than a spotting scope. It's not practical to see a thousand zombies walking in your direction, and all you have is 998 rounds, a spotting scope, a makeshift slingshot made out of the frame of a building with bungee cords attached and a pocket to put the spotting scope in and use it as a bullet. What if you miss? Even if you slingshot your rifle at the second-to-last zombie, you still have one zombie left over to deal with... What are you going to do, slingshot yourself?

borrow money at the cost of $20 just to shoot it?

i like the enthusiasm

I have decided that I'm not quite that enthusiastic, for money reasons.

Actually, I became quite enthusiastic at about 6:30 AM. I went to bed about 12:30 last night and had a fitful night of sleep. What woke me up was a nightmare. I was somewhere, and it wasn't pleasant, involved a war or something. I've tried to remember. The first thing I can remember is that I know a bomb is about to go off or we're about to be struck inside this underground structure. One of my coworkers is behind me, and as soon as we hear a count down sequence over a speaker somewhere, "15, 14, 13 ...," we are running to a gray escape ladder up a wall to the ground above. People are running around. I'm climbing up as quickly as I can and managing to hear the count down in my head. The person above me gets out, and just as I can see the sky through the escape tunnel, I hear the count down to zero, and an explosion happens. It really rocks and I hang on to the ladder tightly and see bits and pieces of dirt and small pepples gently falling down in front of me, then I climb out of the tunnel. The last thing I remember is a black man with a large afro talking to my coworker with a smile, below me on the hill side, next to the tunnel entrance. The black man reminded of Michael Jackson as a teenager. It's blue skies, no clouds, just outside of a giant subdivision in some city, as if nothing happened outside. That was enough. I got my butt moving at 6:30 and got to the gun show around 9 or so.

An interesting story at the gun show when I bought another full case of ammo! I looked at two of the dealer's prices, and told the cheaper one about the deal at ammoman.com. He gave me the case for $180, tax included! Molle Ninja, duuuuude!!! Your tip about ammoman.com paid off! It is Golden Tiger. As I noticed that the company is out of Conroe, Texas, I asked me if he knew my nephews out there. He said no and said that he lives in Bryan/College Station. I asked him if he knew my stepbrother in Bryan. He knows him! Small world! I told him to tell my stepbrother hi for me! LOL!!!

Now, I just need to get more of those pro mags, a spotting scope, and start building up the shot gun ammo stock.

Now, I just need to get more of those pro mags, a spotting scope, and start building up the shot gun ammo stock.

While its fun (and important) to stock up on guns and ammo, dont overlook some of the more mundane stuff like food, water, a water purification kit, and a reserve supply of fuel for your vehicle. Also, dont overlook or underestimate the lowly .22LR....a Ruger 10/22 with a couple of hi-cap mags, a cheap scope and 1000 rounds of ammo can be had for well under $300 and can do almost anything a bigger gun can do except hunt really large game or penetrate armor. Guns and ammo are great to have in an emergency but you cant eat them drink them or use them for fuel in your car.

While its fun (and important) to stock up on guns and ammo, dont overlook some of the more mundane stuff like food, water, a water purification kit, and a reserve supply of fuel for your vehicle. Also, dont overlook or underestimate the lowly .22LR....a Ruger 10/22 with a couple of hi-cap mags, a cheap scope and 1000 rounds of ammo can be had for well under $300 and can do almost anything a bigger gun can do except hunt really large game or penetrate armor. Guns and ammo are great to have in an emergency but you cant eat them drink them or use them for fuel in your car.

Perhaps, I haven't revealed what I do for a living. I work part-time at REI, that camping store. I have a First Need filter and plan on getting a second one with additional cartridges, Esbit cubes (coworker is bringing a swedish stove kit for me to buy next month - ingenious little thing!), and chlorine dioxide tablets in case the filters all fail at some point. And there's backpacking food that I can buy that's more suited to my dietary needs with a shelf life of about 7 years. I get all this at a steep discount, which boosts my purchasing power like crazy. I'm well aware of all these other things, but I had to prioritize based on my accessibility to product and how much prices changes are out of my control, depending on what I'm buying. Ammo is clearly out of my control, but the food, water tablets, stove fuel is much better controlled.

As for gasoline, that is a no-go. I live in the city, and there's absolutely nowhere to store your own gasoline without breaking some laws.

Yeah, I'll tell you what is tragic, only a few years ago I bought several K of Norinco 7.62x39 and 7.62x51 in the wood crates packed 1040 and 540 rds respectively. Remember those? $89 per case. With all the vile shit imported from China, SARS, bird flu ,bad tires, poison food, toys and pet food, and who knows what else, it is a shame the one thing from there that is worth anything is ammo which CANNOT be imported because of Clinton. The chinese are sitting on BILLIONS of rounds of ammo. The most ironic thing is Clinton had EXTENSIVE dealings with North China Industries, was totally in bed (no pun intended) with them and today Bill or Hilliary or Gore will not speak on the subject. They sold us out and now they want back in the White House, Scary,scary times ahead. possibly. They definitly operate on the premise that Americans, not all, cannot remember what happened two weeks ago. A Taiwanese national now an American told me, "we are at war with China , we just don't know it yet". You are right however , the prices will not go down. 99% of all bulk ammo, you know the kind we buy, comes from one place only, Russia or close by. It is a monopoly. Just 6 months ago there was zero 7.62x39 to be had. The domestic stuff although quality is astronomically priced.

Edited by U.S Praetorian
As for gasoline, that is a no-go. I live in the city, and there's absolutely nowhere to store your own gasoline without breaking some laws.

I know a survival-minded guy who lives in an apartment and has similar issues. He spends $35-per-month on a 6'x8' storage space a couple of blocks from his apartment. Its secure, locked, accessible 24hrs and he stores bulk water, gas cans, food, ammo and other survival gear in it. He has a Glock in a small lockbox by his bed, the rest of his "hardware"is in a safe in the storage unit where its actually a lot safer than his apartment. If SHTF he can arm himself and be there on foot in under 5 minutes.

i'm simply amazed

REI and love guns

around here they're liberals

Actually, a correction. At REI, we educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventures (could be substituted for survival). The clothing and equipment we have could be used for survival. Oh, one more correction. I don't love guns. I wish we didn't have to use them, but because of the nature of humans, we must be ever vigilant of our rights. They're a tool. Sure, some look nicer than others, but that's about it.

Also, I want to add that I've got several pair of boots, shirts, and need to get everything else.

Where is "here?"

i'm simply amazed

REI and love guns

around here they're liberals

Actually, a correction. At REI, we educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventures (could be substituted for survival). The clothing and equipment we have could be used for survival. Oh, one more correction. I don't love guns. I wish we didn't have to use them, but because of the nature of humans, we must be ever vigilant of our rights. They're a tool. Sure, some look nicer than others, but that's about it.

Also, I want to add that I've got several pair of boots, shirts, and need to get everything else.

Where is "here?"

here is eugene oregon

i like your attitude

eugene just pushes the "tree hugging dirt worshipper" mentality too far

they seem to think like hunting is bad as well

nature does get to bite back once in a while here though

cougar balls are getting bigger these days

• 2 weeks later...

Hey you're in Houston? Have you ever gone to Hot Wells on Hwy 290 - they have spottings scopes u can use free.

But here's what I'm going to order, just for the hell of it - 12 - 40 x 70 Binos. (Only $59.99)

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/tasp12zobiwn.html

Cheap, with a free tripod on top of it!....

Ammo? I just buy mine at 'ammo to go.com' out of the College Staiton area here in TX, ships quick...always in stock....Wolf, FMJ, HP and Golden Bear SP. (all around $0.22 per round) Plus the 12 ga. 00 Buck and #4 Buck ammo for good prices. Just Keep Build on your Ammo Store! You Never Know!

BS012

http://www.ak-defense-force.com

Hey you're in Houston? Have you ever gone to Hot Wells on Hwy 290

Yes, I'm in Houston, but I live south of the I-10 line. I consider that WAY out there. I went back to the American Shooting Center range last month, and they got the spotting scopes back on!

Thanks!

Hey you're in Houston? Have you ever gone to Hot Wells on Hwy 290 - they have spottings scopes u can use free.

Hello, BullShark012

I go to Hot Wells about every other month. I'm in the Bear Creek/Copperfield area, so it's pretty close. The wife and I went to Jim Pruitts CHL class, we qualified at Hot Wells.

They do have free spotters, but some of them are a bit "past their prime". It gets tiresome re-setting it for every shot 'cause the base has so much play that you may be spotting your neighbor's target....I'm looking for a reliable variable-power spotter myself.

BTW- Three different range marshalls on three different occasions have told me that my S12 is the most awesome weapon they've ever seen at the range....One called his SO on the phone and instructed her to find one online and buy it (he had just shot my converted S12-slugs, of course)

If I see another Saiga being demonstrated at the range, I will be sure to introduce myself. I usually take 2-3 sons and maybe a friend or two of theirs, bring a S12, S.308 (both converted, now I have two S12's to bring) an AK-47 pistol (rifle range only) a Beretta Storm .45, a bag full of pistols, etc.

Hope to see you there!

guido2 in Houston

Hello

Personally, I think the frontlines of the "gun-control war" will be fought at the "ammunition" site. I believe any gun-control advocate realizes there are way too many weapons out here to ever "reel them back in".

But, if they make ammo extremely difficult or impossible to get....

Makes a great case for reloading supplies and expertise, anyway.

guido2 in Houston

Hey guido2, Cool - I forgot what thread you were on! But I found it now - Yea...I'll look for that bad boy S12 tommorrow (SAT 9/8) - I'll be there maybe late afternoon, if not, next Time! I'll be the guy w/ the cool looking Saiga 762 on the 100 yd. line sighting in my new scope (and also testing a Master Moulder 30 rd. mag!) I'll be solo, if you see me come on over, would love to meet you!

Steve (BS012)

Save your good ammo and use .22 LR for practice. I just stocked up on more .22s this weekend. Two years ago on Labor day there was a shoot where I shot a couple hundred rounds of 7.62x39 and a few hundred rounds of 9mm and .40 cal. Today I would shoot about 30 rounds of 7.62x39 and .223 and the same for pistol ammo and I would shoot a few hundred .22 rounds. The anti gun Nazis are making it more expensive to shoot but we can still use the .22s to keep our proficiency. For paper use the cheapest round. If you get to shoot water filled plastic bottles then you need .223 or more powerful. If you shoot blocks then you need center fire rounds to pulverize them.

It's a shame that we can't buy Chinese ammo thanks to Clinton who allowed the LA street gangs to arm themselves with fully automatic AKs which are illegal to own in Commiefornia. Clinton gave the Chinese access to the Long Beach Naval Shipyard to turn it into a Chinese container yards which smuggle Chinese ammo to the street gangs but not to law abiding citizens. We need to make sure Hitlery Clinton will NOT get voted into the White House or we can expect Waco style raids into our homes by ATFE thugs or UN troops to disarm us(or kill us in the process).

• 2 weeks later...

i would buy the ammo now, or as soon as you can. prices are currently overpriced, and are going nowhere but up. they will continue to do that until at least(my guess only) after the election. then, they could skyrocket even more depending on who wins. practice with the .22 as mentioned... .22 is nice and affordable for the moment(they will probably jack that up too :rolleyes: )

REI is great. I spent loads of money in thier Atlanta store. Most of the stuff was camping/survival stuff. People knew their shit. Just not white water kayaks. There was another Chanin called Galyans a had the same kind of stuff but not the samr level of customer service. They had new guns. Now it changed to Dicks Sporting Goods and is an overpriced sports authoritory.

hi, i'm kinda new here (and to saigas). i still go to my rifle bag and sniff at the new gun smell atleast a few times a day.

i've been reading posts and threads here and there and it's amazing that i see ammo quoted at less than 10 cents a round a few years ago, then 15 cents last year...and then 4 bucks a box for earlier this year... i just went to academy this afternoon and picked up a box of 7.62s for 5 bucks! and that was the cheap stuff. the rest were 11 dollars and up for 20 rounds?

i guess i got into the sport late... i envy the folks who got to stock up.

so...advice to the newbie... stock up with 5 bucks a box? wait for it to go down? i've been thinking about buying in bulk from online - any advice?

thanks in advance!

hi, i'm kinda new here (and to saigas). i still go to my rifle bag and sniff at the new gun smell atleast a few times a day.

i've been reading posts and threads here and there and it's amazing that i see ammo quoted at less than 10 cents a round a few years ago, then 15 cents last year...and then 4 bucks a box for earlier this year... i just went to academy this afternoon and picked up a box of 7.62s for 5 bucks! and that was the cheap stuff. the rest were 11 dollars and up for 20 rounds?

i guess i got into the sport late... i envy the folks who got to stock up.

so...advice to the newbie... stock up with 5 bucks a box? wait for it to go down? i've been thinking about buying in bulk from online - any advice?

thanks in advance!

Look around, I just checked http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm ant they are $189.oo for RUSSIAN 7.62X39 GOLDEN TIGER FMJ AMMO

124 GRAIN NON CORROSIVE

20 ROUNDS PER BOX - 1,000 ROUNDS PER CASE

That works out to 3.78 per box delivered to your door and no sales tax.

Edited by 1911