Why doesn't Saiga make a rifle in 5.45?

They make one in .223 which is almost the same thing. Plus for the US market, which is better? 5.56 nato which is made everywhere or 5.45x39 which you can probably only get in surplus?

It's just not good business to compete with yourself for basically the same market...

They make one in .223 which is almost the same thing. Plus for the US market, which is better? 5.56 nato which is made everywhere or 5.45x39 which you can probably only get in surplus?

It's just not good business to compete with yourself for basically the same market...

$0.12 for 5.45, $0.60 for 5.56. Screw 5.56.

Hi

I think the reason why Izhmash dont make a saiga in 5.45mm is that 5.45mm is their current designated military calliber and there are no civillian rifles in that calliber unlike 7.62x39 and 7.62x54r

There is an export law in Russia that forbids the export of military equipment and the 5.45mm rifles are only for military consumption at the moment. as far as i can understand from the guys at Izhmash this is the reason. I have been in touch with several military equipment suppliers in Russia and it is the same wherever you ask. you can have a civillian posp 4x24 but not the military pso-1 , both nearly identical but rules is rules as they say.

assassin

Hi

I think the reason why Izhmash dont make a saiga in 5.45mm is that 5.45mm is their current designated military calliber and there are no civillian rifles in that calliber unlike 7.62x39 and 7.62x54r

There is an export law in Russia that forbids the export of military equipment and the 5.45mm rifles are only for military consumption at the moment. as far as i can understand from the guys at Izhmash this is the reason. I have been in touch with several military equipment suppliers in Russia and it is the same wherever you ask. you can have a civillian posp 4x24 but not the military pso-1 , both nearly identical but rules is rules as they say.

assassin

I am going to make a highly educated guess that this is exactly why. Here in Russia civilians can't buy 5.45. They can't even buy a Russian bayonet unless it has been demilled. They can't have military cartridges either like the 7N1 7.62x54R that we have been able to get lately. It is a military round and not legal to have here in Russia by civilians. The 7.62x54R cartridge that is favored here for shooting by civilians is I think the same thing (it's packaged different) as the Wolf 200 gr. EXTRA Match.

Hi

assassin

I am going to make a highly educated guess that this is exactly why. Here in Russia civilians can't buy 5.45. They can't even buy a Russian bayonet unless it has been demilled. They can't have military cartridges either like the 7N1 7.62x54R that we have been able to get lately. It is a military round and not legal to have here in Russia by civilians. The 7.62x54R cartridge that is favored here for shooting by civilians is I think the same thing (it's packaged different) as the Wolf 200 gr. EXTRA Match.

The Russian military is based around being wiley and using supplies that are of little use to their enemies.

• 6 months later...
Anyone have the inside scoop?

I guess you have seen all the AR15 uppers in 5.45 now being offered. S&W M&P15R, Model 1 sales, and Olympic have them. They say it will use standard mags with the 6.8 followers. I was intrigued but I prefer the Arsenal or Vepr's in this cal. The only other 5.45 I could see wanting is if and when the Masada is configured this way due to its piston action vs gas tube, heat issues etc.

• 2 months later...

If the Russians won't export 5.45x39 rifles then other countries will. I see Romanian made rifles in 5.45x39 as well as the Bulgarian and Polish examples. It would be nice to have a Saiga in 5.45x39 especially now that ammo still hasn't skyrocketed to the price of .223 or 7.62x39 calibers.

If the Russians won't export 5.45x39 rifles then other countries will. I see Romanian made rifles in 5.45x39 as well as the Bulgarian and Polish examples. It would be nice to have a Saiga in 5.45x39 especially now that ammo still hasn't skyrocketed to the price of .223 or 7.62x39 calibers.

Somebody posted an email from RAAC elsewhere here, uzitiger, telling us that 5.45x39 Saigas are on the way.

The Russian military is based around being wiley and using supplies that are of little use to their enemies.

The U.S. uses 80mm and 150mm mortars...guess what the Russians use. 81mm and 151mm, so they can use our rounds, but we can't use theirs.

I'm pretty sure there are 5.45 Saigas, but they are only sold outside the U.S.