Correction...Here's one like the one I saw and it's a Yugo parts kit built on a US receiver. It is also a pistol and not a real side folder like I would rather have. My bad.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programmin....asp?Prodid=200

I have a Yugo M92 version that I like very much. I built this one from a kit primarily due to the 2005 date, daisy fresh, and kits at the time were priced very right. It's an underfolder in 7.62x39 and has very fresh tritium sights, 10"barrel. Upside or downside depending on how you look at things is that it's VERY LOUD and BLOWS BIG FLAMES. I was pleased that the accuracy was in line with my 16" guns.

Things to consider. Under folder or Side folder. Expensive Loud ammo in 7.62, or more affordable and possibly more accurate 5.45,

Dark wood, Plastic, or light wood. Find out what they were built from (how used), or condition and date on kit if your building. I can't speak for the other flavors, but the late Yugo's were fresh demill's or virgin kits never assembled. The only thing I finished on mine was the receiver, everything else was perfect.

(yes, I need to pull weeds and buck up for the SBR)

post-1866-1198039524_thumb.jpg

Best caliber? .... 9x39mm of course! ;)

Actually it's closer to being a 9.3mm, but I'm not in control of what the Russians name their calibers. If I remember correctly, it was designed specifically for use in short range suppressed weapons. Obviously in my mind, this makes it "the" caliber of choice for what is essentially a sub-machinegun. It makes good use of slow-burning powders, puts out a lot of muzzle engergy, and has a cross-section that neither the 7.62x39 nor the 5.45x39 do. Again, this is predicated on "short-range-use." By this, I mean that it's a beefier version of the WW2 German MP44. It's got the short range penetration and manueverability to be good for house-to-house fighting, and can be silenced effectively. Accuracy reports I've heard state that it is at least on par the the AK74, if not better. That's a true "intermediate" cartridge as designed, loaded, and used from the beginning.

Honestly I don't like tiny bullets in short barrels. So, the 5.45x39 is out. It loses too much velocity - which it depends on for penetration, of body armor and barriers - in that short of a barrel, even at close range. Much like the 5.56mm NATO, I believe that 16" is the shortest that the barrel should be on weapons chambered in this caliber, and then, only for issue to vehicle crews and other support personel - probably also requiring a folding stock (under-folding has been a long-time favorite) to keep length down. No, the 5.45x39 is best used in 18"-24" barrels out to longer ranges. The AK74, if only because of its chambering, seems to be much more like a traditional battle-rifle.

Since 9x39 ammo is going to be a reloading only proposition, I'd suggest 7.62x39. It's essentially a magnum pistol cartridge. Historically, the AK 47 has been used primarily as a sub-machinegun, making sense out of its seemingly anemic ballistics - as compared to "rifle" cartridges. In short, I'm saying that the AK47 is a lot like the M1 Carbine in its design purpose and usage. The 7.62x39 still loses velocity in a shorter barrel, but not as much (if I remember correctly) as the 5.45x39. The steel core design of much of the ammunition available made it good for penetration at short ranges. A variety with a hollow-nosed bullet, copied from the 5.45x39, of the standard weight has made this cartridge more useful on soft targets at longer ranges. Because the nose is hollow, the center of gravity of the bullet is further to the rear - which helps when stabilising spinning projectiles. The same feature also makes it tumble faster once it has penetrated a target (the projectile will tend to travel with its weight forward in soft tissue). The penetration value should still be better than the 5.45x39, though not as good as the older steel core loadings, if only because of the weight difference. My physics might be a bit messed up there. If someone knows I'm wrong, please correct me.

That's my $1.02 and a hefty load of conjecture. Hope y'all enjoyed it. I'm going to go get some sleep now.

Edit: Oh, and I do know that I'm talking about applications of said weapons that are not sporting in any way. When it comes to enjoyment, well, the "best" caliber is the one you like most - for whatever reason.

Edited by Tokageko

AK9 is 9x39

The "Knight" is 9x19 and was a prototype, knight is a Krink... the AK9 from what it appears to be is not a Krink, but I have never seen a picture of just an AK9 without someone holding it.

I think they should sell the Knight with a 16.26" barrel as a "Sporting Carbine"...

Knight

284a06dd7a6afz9.jpg457131213944ik7.jpg

AK9

ak9ia5.jpg

Aside from 6500rpm does anyone else actually own one? What caliber, pros/cons, ect? Cobra mentioned before that they go for about $800, is that the going rate or intro rate?

I think it's a little higher than that now. Atlantic has some I believe...

Aside from 6500rpm does anyone else actually own one? What caliber, pros/cons, ect? Cobra mentioned before that they go for about $800, is that the going rate or intro rate?

I have an Arsenal 106U Krink (.223 caliber). I love it! No problems at all with it, and it loves Wolf (it's an AK after all). They also make them now in 7.62x39 (107UR). They are around the $900 mark. Then you have the $200 tax stamp. Then the engraving. Then you have to cut and crown the barrel. Then the proper muzzle device. They add up quick.

Here's a pic of when a buddy and I went shooting last (our SBRs combined at the time). My .223 is the second down on the left and his 7.62 is under it.

Fun stuff... get one!

001.jpg

Edited by micah360
Correction...Here's one like the one I saw and it's a Yugo parts kit built on a US receiver. It is also a pistol and not a real side folder like I would rather have. My bad.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programmin....asp?Prodid=200

I think that's going to be my next purchase, not only looks good but I'd bet it's a blast to shoot! Though I really should buy an AR next...

A few months ago, Jammer brought in an Arsenal .223 Krink to test out. It was a big disappointment. He can elaborate on it if you want the details.

Yeah... I've hear some of them are questionable (just like their 106F series). I'm glad that mine doesn't have any problems... it's flawless. I guess I took a big chance on not test-firing it before I chopped the barrel!

If you are thinking about a 107UR (7.62x39 Arsenal Krink), keep in mind that the gas ports will have to be opened up to 3mm after you chop it or it won't cycle. The 106U doesn't have to be opened up at all.

Edited by micah360
A few months ago, Jammer brought in an Arsenal .223 Krink to test out. It was a big disappointment. He can elaborate on it if you want the details.

The first range day sucked, but the next range day was like heaven... It would have been a major problem if I didn't know how to fix these things. 10 minutes of work at my shop and it runs like a champ. I have 2 Arsenal SLR106UR's

post-3545-1198150207_thumb.jpg

maybe ile go the gay rout and go with the 16" barrell w/ dummy supressor i know its gay fake can but it still has the krink look but a 16" barell again i hate washington state

Man do I feel your pain. I have a couple S-12s that should have significantly shorter barrels than they do. Plus a quasi-AK-104 that has a big old ugly fake can on it... that shouldn't be fake.

Too bad we have to deal with the SBR & "sporting purpose" BS... otherwise we'd be able to get the short Saiga like they sell in Europe...

Forget his handle here, but he posted a picture of his SB Saiga and he was in France...

Yeah... I remember that. It was one sweet machine!

IMG_0048.jpg

5.45x39

This is my latest build: A Bulgarian AKS-74U. This was one of the more challenging builds to date for me since there were some things I had not seen before (side folder latch, top cover spring hinge and how that affects the gas tube) Pretty clever design. Pics make the wood look bright, but it's much darker. The kit was one of the K-var unissued deals, I built it on a DCI receiver with the Bulgarian selector markings. I have yet to fire this weapon, but it shouldn't give me any issues.

The weirdest thing with this kit...... For anyone who has one of these kits, take a look at the face of the receiver saw cuts... Mine was painted. Now I don't know if the cut end was dabbed in paint to protect it, or if these things were actually pulled off the assembly line before getting painted, cut up, and then sprayed. It wasn't burned, or anything like that...it was painted.

I had a few yugo rifles, so I didn't go with the Yugo SBR. It's a nice looking weapon and maybe I'll secure a kit down the road.

My build in 5.45 quickly became my favorite in three gun shoots.........the accuracy is there out to an easy 100 yards even with the short barrel, the recoil is quite manageable, even when firing FA.......Just a sweet setup, but I've only used the 5.45.......VK.

+1 to micah360's comment. Get one with a stock, I did a pistol build and my experience is that it's a fad thing and not much fun to shoot other than slinging lead. If you do a build, the DCI/NoDak Spud receivers are the shit, I don't even consider using anything else on a kit build. The four peice flash hider shown on two of micah's guns is the way to go if you want to kill the flash and back blast some. Also, if shopping for kits, the fresh demilled (saw cut) kits are a much easier build than a new virgin and saves you a few steps.