A newfound respect for GLOCKs

When I think of tough firearms that can take any abuse and keep on going, of course I think 'Kalashinov'. But, somehow 'GLOCK' never comes to mind.

This guy uses and abuses a GLOCK model 21 .45ACP pistol in ways I would have never thought of and documents it all in detail with descriptions and photos http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?optio...;id=90&Item

I only ever fired a GLOCK 21 once, and I didn't like it. The overall weight made it sting the hell out of my hand when fired and I remember thinking it felt like a toy to handle. It was ugly. Everything about it just turned me off. Ever since I've never really cared much for any poly-framed pistols. Maybe I need to revisit the GLOCK before I come to any conclusions about them.

Maybe I need to throw one out of an airplane to appreciate how tough these things are.

Just don't shoot +P through it... :rolleyes:

The Glock 21 will handle +P just fine, it is out of spec and over pressure reloads that you have to watch.

The same frame stands up quite well to hot 10mm just fine.

I have two Glock 21 and two Glock 20, plus a G27 for social affairs.

I have a G20 and a G27. Neither has ever malfunctioned and both shoot like a dream. I think they're beautiful. I'm going to buy a 6" Longslide for my G20 when Lone Wolf releases them later this month. I can't wait. The Glock 27 has got to the finest CCW weapon ever conceived. Glocks rule.

Kicking Glock is popular for the same reason that people love to kick Microsoft. It is the big dog in police and military pistols. This is true for a reason and many feel the need to disagree with the majority.

Well, just to ease the tension, I truly feel pistols are very much a matter of personal preference. I love the fit and feel of my G21. It shoots great and my wife shoots it with no problems. I have heard the poly actually dampens recoil a bit too. This may not be true for all, of course, and everyone isnt built the same, so I dont argue about this stuff, if you like something, great!!! Dont dis me for what I like. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Well, just to ease the tension, I truly feel pistols are very much a matter of personal preference. I love the fit and feel of my G21. It shoots great and my wife shoots it with no problems. I have heard the poly actually dampens recoil a bit too. This may not be true for all, of course, and everyone isnt built the same, so I dont argue about this stuff, if you like something, great!!! Dont dis me for what I like. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I've fired a Delta Elite and although it's been a long time, I think my G20 recoils less even though the Delta is heavier. I think what you say about poly is true.

I hate the guy that did these torture tests, thoroughly. He says the gun never misfires after this treatment, but watch the videos. The gun misfires half the fucking time. Then during the final tests he only gets it to fire one or two times out of an entire magazine. It's nothing spectacular at ALL. I don't understand this bullshit, the videos I saw of this torture testing showed many many FTF's FTE's etc, and when he compared the USP and Glock, they both failed most of the time. If you jam dirt and rocks into complex workings, they just aren't going to work.

Shooting at it I thought I was impressive stupidity though. I like watching people do things like that from many miles away. That was entertaining.

Edited by Twinsen

I only recently bacame a big Glock fan (about 5 years ago). Like most folks my age and older, I started out with 1911's. I have never been fully comfortable with the Glock's internal and "passive" safety feature and modified my G21 to suit my comfort level. I added the 3.5 lb connector, an extended slide release and a thumb safety that works much like a 1911, except you can rack the slide with it engaged. Now - I can't imagine going back to a plain ole 1911...

Just my personal preference... (Oh! And all my mags have a Pierce +2 extension on them).

f835c744.jpg

Glock3.jpg

I bought my first Glock about 12 years ago. I went to them from revolvers, talk about a paradigm shift! But even though I've owned and fired many other guns over the years I always end up reaching for the Glock. Pretty they aren't, but I have never had a problem with one in all that time, they are my goto handgun. I have a G27 & G35 now. The G27 for up close the G35 can reach out a long way for a handgun, freaking accurate too.

The Glock 21 will handle +P just fine, it is out of spec and over pressure reloads that you have to watch.

The same frame stands up quite well to hot 10mm just fine.

I have two Glock 21 and two Glock 20, plus a G27 for social affairs.

I personally saw a glock 23 KB as a range officer. Not much left of the top end. Fortunately the poly is tough and the guy had no injuries. I just don't understand why glock allows their reputation to be tarnished by continuing to use an unsupported barrel when almost everyone else has fully supported barrels in smaller packages. Realize the 45 is a different animal at much lower pressures, but then again why do they not fix the 22 and 23. Even the aftermarket produces fully supported barrels that function just fine.

Totally agree they are fine guns for fit, function, and just about any measure of performance, but then again my sig is a more accurate gun and I can shoot whatever I decide to load up from any published loading guide. Hell, even my cz82 is more accurate than my brother's glock 19, and it cost one third as much.

Not bashing the glock, it's a fine gun and I certainly wouldn't call it a bad choice for anyone. But, as twinsen observed the total reliability claim is BS when you really watch the video. Calling it a better gun as compared to the HK doesn't break my heart personally. I'd love to see the same test done in a valid way between a GP100, beretta 92, and the Glock, that would surely tell the real story.

i have to say i have a glock 19 and it is a great gun but my xd 45. is more accurate and is my first choice when it comes to my pistols i do like the way the glock sits lower in your hand not so top heavy but i still shoot better with the xd 45. than i do with the glock 9mm that has to say something

?????

I just shot 400rds of +p+ yesterday afternoon,whatever are you talking about??

My practice Glock has approximately 20K through it and at least 3,000 were extremely hot ammo.

Shoot all the +p+ you want as long as it's factory ammo and not someone's homemade rubbish..

I went through some training at Gunsite awhile back and about 20 of us fired Glock 17's and AK's for a week straight. About 40,000 rounds in all. I never saw a single malfunction with the Glock throughout the entire week. However several AK's jammed and two of them broke. Mine broke a trigger and stopped.

I still don't care for that spongy Glock trigger though. The two guns with the worst triggers ever built are Glock pistols and HK rifles.

Tony

?????

My practice Glock has approximately 20K through it and at least 3,000 were extremely hot ammo.

Shoot all the +p+ you want as long as it's factory ammo and not someone's homemade rubbish..

What I meant is that the 40 cals have bbls which don't fully support the cartridge. Shooting overpressured 40 cal through a glock is something I (and every reloading publication as well) don't suggest you do. All other models have nothing to worry within any sort of reason.

the only bad things i can think of with glocks is:

1) bad ergonomics (for me personally that is... the grip just doesn't do it for me).

2) sometimes rather light firing pin strike, causing it to be unreliable with some surplus ammo that have tough primers.

and that's it.

though you shouldn't stare blindly at those torture tests, i've seen a similar torture test with an FN P9 and surprisingly it fared equally well as the glock. could be a fluke, but still, glocks aren't end all be alls of ruggedness and reliability.

?????

What I meant is that the 40 cals have bbls which don't fully support the cartridge. Shooting overpressured 40 cal through a glock is something I (and every reloading publication as well) don't suggest you do. All other models have nothing to worry within any sort of reason.

I have head that the 40SW models require high quality brass and that they can blow out if the case web is too thin but my G17 and G21 have been through the fires of hell with the hottest ammo money can buy and have never shown a sign of flinching.

I went through some training at Gunsite awhile back and about 20 of us fired Glock 17's and AK's for a week straight. About 40,000 rounds in all. I never saw a single malfunction with the Glock throughout the entire week. However several AK's jammed and two of them broke. Mine broke a trigger and stopped.

I still don't care for that spongy Glock trigger though. The two guns with the worst triggers ever built are Glock pistols and HK rifles.

Tony

Tony, I put this kit in every Glock I own. Eliminates overtravel, faster reset, and gives a great break. I use the 5.00lb.

http://www.ghostinc.com/category/1triggerweight/