Hey Guys,

I will have an opportunity to move in a couple of years and wondering what people think is both a good place to live and is gun sane?

I realize that each person has a different definition of what a great place to live actually is but I am open.

I was born in CA but probably can't move back for obvious reasons.

Thanks

Hello, saigaboy

Texas currently has a thriving economy, a housing market that is among the best values in the Nation, and very rational gun laws.

The downsides (there are always those...) are stifling heat and humidity during 7-8 months of the year, the occasional threat of hurricanes and tornadoes, substantial traffic congestion in the urban areas, and a steady influx of crimigrants, most of whom are of decent demeanor, but we're seeing an increasing percentage of uppity, demanding, inconsiderate, and defiant ones.

As other States suffer job losses due to a stagnant economy, I would not be surprised to see an accellerated influx of crimigrants from other States, since Texas still is pretty vibrant for hiring 'em.

FWIW.....

guido2 in Houston

It's hard to beat the gun laws in Texas and Oklahoma.

Texas is probably #1 though, since that is the only state in the country where you can defend your personal property with lethal force, ie shoot someone in the back as they are running away with your shit.

Tony

I will also be loking for a place in 2-3 yrs. I had to drop TX from the list for Heat and limited to non-exsisting public land for hunting. Right now I am looking towards WA state or Utah

+1, I'm from WA and I hate the hunting "situation" in TX. Just remember, no NFA in WA. And since so many Californians move to WA, I wouldn't be suprised if they get stupid with it soon.

Think about Oregon. No sales tax, great climate, you can be on the beach in 70 degree weather and 3 hours later be snow-skiing in the mountains.

As far as gun laws go; "shall issue" concealed-carry permits are about $100. No assault weapon ban...no magazine restrictions...no waiting period on purchases. Instant-background checks are required for all purchases but they are ony $10. Very little B.S. to deal with.

Think about Oregon. No sales tax, great climate, you can be on the beach in 70 degree weather and 3 hours later be snow-skiing in the mountains.

As far as gun laws go; "shall issue" concealed-carry permits are about $100. No assault weapon ban...no magazine restrictions...no waiting period on purchases. Instant-background checks are required for all purchases but they are ony $10. Very little B.S. to deal with.

For my needs it has to be NFA friendly. Funny, I passed up a 1400 sq ft. house just outside of Bend, OR for I think 80,000 about 10 years ago. Man, I'm a retard. I would have loved to live in Central Oregon.

I'm looking at SE Tennessee, somewhere north of Chattanooga. I for DAMN shure am not staying here in the peoples repugnick of MD!

Anyone looking for a house on an acre of land midway between Wash DC, Baltimore , and Annapolis MD? If I can sell this house I can retire next year, if the economy keeps tanking it will be another 2.

Texas is probably #1 though, since that is the only state in the country where you can defend your personal property with lethal force, ie shoot someone in the back as they are running away with your shit.

Tony

I agree with Tony here, Okla has good laws as far as guns go. The economy may not be as great as some other states, but the state has all sorts of scenery and if you can speak redneck your in! :haha: (Im a redneck, so no howls from the southeners here)

Ive lived in Texas, good state good gun laws, but hot as hell in the summer, worse than Oklahoma

Thank you guys.

So

Texas

O.K.

Oregon

+/-Washington (my last assignment, FT Lewis). Not a bad place but the winters are long and without any sun and many California type thinkers.

WY

Montana

North Carolina

SE TN

I will check these places out. I noticed not to many positive comments on the northeast including MD and NJ. I will avoid that area for sure. Also, nobody tried to tell me CA is the promised land.

True, true. As someone mentioned before, the Texas summers are more brutal...of course the winter is milder, too.

Tony and I are both expat Californians.

KS isn't bad. We've got decent gun laws w/ concealed carry, and it appears our NFA laws are going to get fixed. Home prices are relatively low here, and we have all 4 seasons.

Only thing bad about Kansas is the damm wind. You drop your hat, you better hope it hits a fence and stops, or its gone out of the state :haha::haha::haha::haha:

(J/K) I spent 3 years at Ft Riley and enjoyed it.

KS isn't bad. We've got decent gun laws w/ concealed carry, and it appears our NFA laws are going to get fixed. Home prices are relatively low here, and we have all 4 seasons.

Only thing bad about Kansas is the damm wind. You drop your hat, you better hope it hits a fence and stops, or its gone out of the state :haha::haha::haha::haha:

And what's wrong w/ that wind? It keeps us cool(er) in the summer and makes for some interesting kite flying weather! You would be amazed at how much hardware (exacto blades, reinforcement tape, etc..) you can lift on a kite in a strong wind.

True, true. As someone mentioned before, the Texas summers are more brutal...of course the winter is milder, too.

Tony and I are both expat Californians.

Winter? Texas has a Winter? I thought it was Summer/Semi-Summer...

Ditto to ex-California..Nearly all of my friends and family have left there.

Funny thing, native Californians are the first to bash the rest of the US, but few of them have ever even left California! Well, except for Hawaii or Nevada or whatever...

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

Washington is o.k. for gun laws but you can't own a silencer or an SBS or SBR which rules out owning a Tromix 8". Alaska is quite good for gun laws and you don't even have to have a permit to carry concealed. I am assuming you are in the military. Ft. Richardson is a big base in Anchorage. You also cannot beat the hunting there. Lived there for 25 years, loved it. Had to move to Wa for work. If I could have the job and the house I have now there, I would be back in a second.

Only bad thing about Kansas is everything! :haha:

(Nothing personal to anyone who lives there)

Only bad thing about Kansas is everything! :haha:

(Nothing personal to anyone who lives there)

HA! I grew up in the middle of Kansas on a farm... it's wasn't too bad. But I hear you about the wind!!!!

HA! I grew up in the middle of Kansas on a farm... it's wasn't too bad. But I hear you about the wind!!!!

I used to live in CO. We drove through KS all the time. When my bro died, we drove back and had to endure that neverending drive again. There are now 4 more people that don't like that state, my ex and my three sons!

And you're right about CO. It's beautiful out there.

Thank you guys.

So

Texas

O.K.

Oregon

+/-Washington (my last assignment, FT Lewis). Not a bad place but the winters are long and without any sun and many California type thinkers.

WY

Montana

North Carolina

SE TN

I will check these places out. I noticed not to many positive comments on the northeast including MD and NJ. I will avoid that area for sure. Also, nobody tried to tell me CA is the promised land.

The northeast isn't all bad, I live in NH its laws are very good, it is a shall issue state. VT is also a good state to live in, you don't even need a permit to carry in VT. Maine and upstate NY are also ok areas to live. Mass, Conn, and the NYC are probably some of the worst places to live outside of PRK.

-E

:devil:

Thank you guys.

So

Texas

O.K.

Oregon

WY

Montana

North Carolina

SE TN

The northeast isn't all bad, I live in NH its laws are very good, it is a shall issue state. VT is also a good state to live in, you don't even need a permit to carry in VT. Maine and upstate NY are also ok areas to live. Mass, Conn, and the NYC are probably some of the worst places to live outside of PRK.

-E

:devil:

The problem up there is 1) I would be so close to Ted Kennedy that the temptation would always be there :haha::haha: (JUST KIDDING Mr. Government agent that monitors this forum)

and 2) unless you shoot at an indoor range, you will be shooting in the snow half the year, which would be a big bummer to me. :cryss:

and 2) unless you shoot at an indoor range, you will be shooting in the snow half the year, which would be a big bummer to me. :cryss:

Up here where we get snow....we call people like you wimps :haha:

Pa is pretty good for gun laws but the job market is pretty crappy

Up here where we get snow....we call people like you wimps :haha:

Pa is pretty good for gun laws but the job market is pretty crappy

I will be the first to admit that I am a wimp. I had enough of that snow crap over in Germany in the army. I guess I am getting old, the states that have warm winters are looking better and better to me LOL

I was left family land under the promise that I not sell it, so I will probably live out the rest of my years in Okla. I have lived here many years and there are a lot of worse places to be, so that is ok with me.

Thanks guys for the feedback. :rolleyes:

Nice to know that there are other ex patriot Californians out there as well.

One of the nice things about being military is seeing a few places you probably wouldn't have visited otherwise. Growing up in CA, it was assumed that there was no other suitable place to the live in the US. We were taught that CA was the enlightened state and other places were backward and and ignorant (SF Bay Area).

I am glad I was quickly proven wrong. So far, I have lived in NYC for school, Olympia WA, and now here. Although I have no desire to go back to NYC, I have found that both WA and TN are a much better fit compared to far left CA. Despite, the better weather and good restaurants in CA these places are more family friendly, gun friendly, and less expensive to live in.

Any good gun loving Californian reading this should open their eyes to these many places. I think CA has seen its glory days and the increasing taxes (state income, sales tax, DMV fees, property taxes with bonds, and SF Income tax), far left leaders (too many to count), bad schools, over population, long commutes, politically correct thinking, and generalized high cost of living have made it easy to think about different places.

So we added:

Kansas.

Possibly Alaska. Wonder about those long winter nights.

One vote for the Northeast. NH. I have heard they try and keep the laws to a minimum which is always a plus.

CO

Funny thing, native Californians are the first to bash the rest of the US, but few of them have ever even left California!

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

Hmmm...... Not to rip on your "countrymen" Guido, but I've noticed that about Texans more than any other folks I've met. What about you!!!!??????? :ph34r:

Funny thing, native Californians are the first to bash the rest of the US, but few of them have ever even left California!

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

Hmmm...... Not to rip on your "countrymen" Guido, but I've noticed that about Texans more than any other folks I've met. What about you!!!!??????? :ph34r:

Hello, Shaneman153a

Well, I grew up in CA, so that was the most obvious to me. I prided myself on making my way across a bunch of states, though.

I guess there is a lot of "Texan State pride", as well. But, if they feel Texas is better than another State, I would hope that they at least have some firsthand knowledge of the State they are comparing Texas to.

And, well, there is a lot to be proud of in Texas. For instance, if you get a death sentance in Texas, yer' ass is gonna fry, and it probably won't be too far off in the future. There's a lot to be said about a State that leads the Nation in executions, instead of murder rates.

But, you're probably right. Texans do have a bit of the same mentality that I was describing in many Californians. But at least they travel around a bit more....

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston ("Home" for 25 years...)