Homemade magazines

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/csspecs/IMG_2710.jpg

Well I have tried making these a few different ways, made these by cutting each piece to form the outside and a large wood block to fill the inside then ran a bead down it with a mig welder. I can't bring myself to cut the ears off my factory follower so I just cut a rough one out of the wood spacer block, feeds 10-12 rounds as is but I'm still working on a way to make a follower that will work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/csspecs/IMG_2710.jpg

Well I have tried making these a few different ways, made these by cutting each piece to form the outside and a large wood block to fill the inside then ran a bead down it with a mig welder. I can't bring myself to cut the ears off my factory follower so I just cut a rough one out of the wood spacer block, feeds 10-12 rounds as is but I'm still working on a way to make a follower that will work.

Are Surefire followers available separately? You might check on that.

Finished my follower tonight, it feeds 18 rounds. (Thats what happens when you grab a random chunk of steel to make a magazine you get a random number of rounds).

I might get a chance to shoot it tomorrow, I hope it feeds the gun while shooting.

Once I get a hang of what I am doing I hope to make them faster because 6+ hours is way to long for one magazine.

Oh yeah the stock magazine spring was WAY to heavy, it would not let the rounds go down when cycling. I have a spring out of a 5 round norinco ak magazine in there right now. I might buy a few G3 mags and cut the springs up.

Edited by csspecs

I'll do a run down of how I did it once I know that it works, it should be able to work as the magazine bodies that I made are quite stiff, most of the problems I have run into with feeding are the same suffered with surefire and FBMG magazines (just from reading).

I don't feel that the saiga .308 was made with anything other than 8 round mags in mind, the bolt appears to be the cause of most of this, there is a very poorly placed nub on the bolt (the small third lug) that wants to dent the top round in the mag every time the bolt cycles. I'll have to do some thinking of how to fix this as it would help using the larger magazines.

The above is why I am using a smaller spring in the hopes that it will cycle without having to mod my bolt. I have no problem chopping other parts off my guns but when it gets to the bolt and other explodey parts I get kinda nervous.

Well I just got back from shooting it, blasted all 19 rounds (I got it to hold one more) the first time... I'm kinda low on .308 ammo so I can't test much more.

It seems to feed perfectly. I'll do a how to in a bit.

Edit: Alrighty I have a video of loading it and of it cycling. Youtube takes a bloody eternity to upload.... Why can a rip a video in a minute but the same thing going the other way takes an hour?

Video of loading the mag

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/css...nt=MVI_2728.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/css...nt=MVI_2729.flv

A video of it being hand cycled

Edited by csspecs
  • 2 weeks later...

wow...awesome! I MEAN AWESOME! :smoke:

That just made my day.

This kind of thing is what makes it worthwhile to come here every day. Brother my hat is off to you. It is people like you who ACTUALLY GIVE something to the site in the way of knowledge, talent, and humility, that really make things tick around here.

:super:

Not only did you do what most people wish they could even buy, but you did it on your own and then shared the knowledge with those here that would want to try and duplicate it for themselves. KUDOS!'

YOU ROCK! :super:

Thank you!

If you ever do decide to make those then please offer them for sale here because there are many MANY people looking for a better alternative than the currently available plastic mags for the .308 Saiga.

BRAVO!!!

Very nice job there. I wish I had a TIG welder in addition to my MIG. I would try to fabricate some S_20 and S-12 magazines. I tried to do it with a 30rd HK mag for the s-20 but the curve wasn't in the mag and I couldn't get the follower to stay straight. But your pics make me want to try again!

My hat's off to you for your success!

nyclu3

Very nice job there. I wish I had a TIG welder in addition to my MIG. I would try to fabricate some S_20 and S-12 magazines. I tried to do it with a 30rd HK mag for the s-20 but the curve wasn't in the mag and I couldn't get the follower to stay straight. But your pics make me want to try again!

My hat's off to you for your success!

nyclu3

Use the 20 round CETME curved mags. I am in the process of modifying some, and I will post the results.

It is labor intensive, but I just wanted some metal S308 mags!

I plan to go to the range with these in the next week, I'll bring a video camera with me to show them working. I did every weld with a small mig welder, took about six hours to hack out the first one, right now I am down closer to 3 hours or so and if I was going to make a bunch of them it would probably go much faster as I could do each step multiple times instead of bouncing from tool to tool in the shop.

Heck while I'm at it I'll bring my bullpup out for a spin.

• 2 weeks later...

sweet, I wanted to make some metal s-12 mags since the plastic ones feel like they are going to break.

is there any law against making your own mags besides capacity issues in some areas? Do they need to have markings on them?

Edited by sharkbit

I was at the range today but I was running the bullpup through its paces, I kinda ran out of time before I got to shoot it all that much.. I did blast one mag full just before leaving, no jams..

I would like to get a video of it shooting, me saying that it works is not the same as seeing it for yourselves.

If you find a law that would prevent anyone from making a bunch of mags for themselves please post it.

Acer's Law #46: No member may make magazines without first sending at least 2 to Acer for an indefinite independent testing period. :haha: Nah, I don't think there's any (real) laws against it.

Acer

DUDE!!! That rocks!!

I have heard of FRANKENMAGS... but DAMN... those take the cake... they are MO-FUGLY!!!

BUT THEY WORK!!! and that KICKS ASS!!!!

After a little sanding, and a coat of paint, I am sure you would think they were store bought!!!

ROCK ON BRO!!!!

AMAZING!!!

:smoke:

Yeah it's painted with truck bed liner, you just about can't drop them right now. Also cleaned up the welds with a grinder.

I was thinking of bump firing it but I just got the scope sighted in so I'm not going to take it off for awhile (I had a blast shooting cds with it a few days ago).

Edited by csspecs