surefire 12 round mag warning

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lmao where's that dude talkin bout his "ultra reliable clips" now?!

Posted Images

I broke two AGP mags in the same way with the same ammo, both on the first shot though. Temp outside was a a little chilly at maybe 40 degrees. They were the Wal-mart value pack 3" 00. I have one Surefire mag on the way too, bummer that I can't use real ammo in either magazine. Why won't somebody make a stamped S12 mag?

I spoke at some length to Mr Surefire, Phillip, today, at SHOT about this, this morning, and I am unsure of if he had gotten more inquiries by the end of the day, as we were unable to get back to that side of the convention center before closing.

Thank you for the photograph, as well as the other user disclosing a similar issue.

I am not at liberty to disclose our discussion at this time, but I will relay this photograph to Philip tomorrow, and discuss the issue a little more with him in the coming days, and relate what the users here have said to him directly.

I was positively impressed with the human being that Phillip is, after meeting him in person.

(the stock market sold off because Obama plans to raise capital gains taxes)

Ha that's funny, carry on...

Obama fanboy? Here?

Well shut my mouf..... :blues:

More like a reality fanboy but I guess I'll shut up too. On topic I wonder if the 5 round Taiwan mags or the factory mags are better for the 3 inch magnums because they are shorter and weigh less fully loaded and undergo less stress upon firing.

Why won't somebody make a stamped S12 mag?

Because its FRIKKIN HARD. (Meaning: Nearly impossible.)

Don't get me wrong, I'd buy the hell out of em if they existed.

I was talking to the gun smith @ armalite one time & he told me that the dies for their Gen 2 AR10B mags were $70,000, which is why it took so long for them to get them out.

I spoke at some length to Mr Surefire, Phillip, today, at SHOT about this, this morning, and I am unsure of if he had gotten more inquiries by the end of the day, as we were unable to get back to that side of the convention center before closing.

Thank you for the photograph, as well as the other user disclosing a similar issue.

I am not at liberty to disclose our discussion at this time, but I will relay this photograph to Philip tomorrow, and discuss the issue a little more with him in the coming days, and relate what the users here have said to him directly.

I was positively impressed with the human being that Phillip is, after meeting him in person.

If I posted the 2nd mag, you'd think they were pics of the same mag....the break path is identical......

Mod the gun not the mag I have an 08 not even the factory mag would fit modded gun to accept MD 20 drums now every mag drum fits perfectly. Dinzags 00 from the factory fit everything moded the 08 to the 00 specs no problems yet.

Could you give a description of the mod you did to your gun (mod to 08 to 00 specs)?

What are the 00 specs?

Thanks

I have two Surefire mags and I'm in the process of converting my gun so I don't know yet how they will hold but they fit real snugly in my "factory" gun.

Wasn't somebody working on a magwell mod for the S12? Would this help relieve some of the stresses on these mags?

I wonder the same thing. Since you remove the front lug, and the magwell has greater support for the mag in the back of the Magazine, It seems like that would help. Has anyone who actually has modified magazines and has a Magwell tried shooting 3" buckshot?

Carl

• 1 month later...

I just had the same thing happen to me on one of my clips. I was using Remington 2 3/4" 9 PEL -00BK . I am hoping it is a fluke, since the other one was fine with all 12 rounds through it. I was shooting without using the stock (IE from the hip) when it broke. I am not smack talking the clip manufacturer, I just wanted to put this out there to see how common it is. Mine broke in exactly the same spot as the original poster. Anyone else run into this issue? Is anyone shooting heavy load consistently without issues? I am still satisfied with my purchase despite this issue.

On a related note, would buying the modified gas plug help with this issue? Since there is so much recoil wouldn't this help in reducing it?

http://www.mdarms.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1724

Thanks!

Edited by 2k2f4i

So does Surfefire have a website? How does one go about getting in contact with them? I've got two 12 rounders at home, use pending colpeteion of my conversion. I've not been able to find a company website. :unsure:

Edited by jswledhed
So does Surfefire have a website? How does one go about getting in contact with them? I've got two 12 rounders at home, use pending colpeteion of my conversion. I've not been able to find a company website. :unsure:

They do but contact info is not listed

http://www.surefiregunmags.com/

The email address is listed on the cards that came with the clips.. Sorry I am @ work and I don't have it on me..

I have issues and would like to contact Surefire but their web site does not have any contact information (unless I am overlooking it). Anyone have contact info?

surefiregunmags@aol.com

Why did you want to contact surefire, did u have any issues?

Nah. Haven't fired it yet. :rolleyes:

I'm still gathering the conversion parts. But, I do have two Surefire 12 rounders in my parts pile. Just wanting to get my resources straight just in case I finish the conversion, take it all to the range and have the mags crumble. :unsure:

• 10 months later...

Mike's drum won't feed 3" shells because they (and longer, roll-crimped 2-3/4" shells) won't fit. That is very different than having a catastrophic magazine failure due to recoil.

Ever wonder why Mike has never came out with a 3 inch drum? Perhaps because the same thing would happen? Lot of stress on plastic when the 3 inch magnum shells start kicking especially if the mag/drum is long and heavy to begin with.

JMO

Ever wonder why Mike has never came out with a 3 inch drum? Perhaps because the same thing would happen? Lot of stress on plastic when the 3 inch magnum shells start kicking especially if the mag/drum is long and heavy to begin with.

JMO

Drum magazines for the Saiga 12 can be made to work with either 2-3/4" or 3" shells but not both (similar to how the Saiga 20's box magazines are made in two different variations, those for 2-3/4" shells and those for 3" shells). Mike made the MD-20 to handle 2-3/4" shells simply because 2-3/4" ammo is more popular than 3" ammo for the 12 gauge. Also, Mike has said that he will eventually be making a 3" drum at some point, but right now he is of course focused on bringing his double-stack box magazines to market.

Unlike the polymer Saiga 12 box magazines made by AGP, Promag, and Surefire, the MD-20 drum has a steel front mag catch, just like the russian 5 & 8 round box magazines do, and in fact the MD-20 is currently the only U.S. made polymer Saiga 12 magazine that does have a steel front mag catch. As with the russian box magazines, I have never heard of the front mag catch breaking off a MD-20 drum. Numerous end-users (which include many members of this forum) have used their MD-20 with high base 2-3/4" buckshot and slug ammo (which has nearly as much recoil as 3" ammo) without any problem. I have no doubt that when Mike starts making a 3" drum that it will likewise be able to handle any heavy-recoiling ammo as well.

JMO

Drum magazines for the Saiga 12 can be made to work with either 2-3/4" or 3" shells but not both (similar to how the Saiga 20's box magazines are made in two different variations, those for 2-3/4" shells and those for 3" shells). Mike made the MD-20 to handle 2-3/4" shells simply because 2-3/4" ammo is more popular than 3" ammo for the 12 gauge. Also, Mike has said that he will eventually be making a 3" drum at some point, but right now he is of course focused on bringing his double-stack box magazines to market.

Unlike the polymer Saiga 12 box magazines made by AGP, Promag, and Surefire, the MD-20 drum has a steel front mag catch, just like the russian 5 & 8 round box magazines do, and in fact the MD-20 is currently the only U.S. made polymer Saiga 12 magazine that does have a steel front mag catchAs with the russian box magazines, I have never heard of the front mag catch breaking off a MD-20 drum. Numerous end-users (which include many members of this forum) have used their MD-20 with high base 2-3/4" buckshot and slug ammo (which has nearly as much recoil as 3" ammo) without any problem. I have no doubt that when Mike starts making a 3" drum that it will likewise be able to handle any heavy-recoiling ammo as well.

Glass filled nylon count as a polymer?

http://www.saiga-12.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AGP%2DS12%2DMAG

Edited by cholly_horse

Glass filled nylon count as a polymer?

http://www.saiga-12.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AGP%2DS12%2DMAG

Well nylon is a polymer, though since the nylon AGP uses to make their mags is glass reinforced, if you wanted to be more specific it could be called glass-reinforced polymer as well.

Edited by Frogfoot