Swat Team member forgets rifle after call

Cop fail!

I'm going to say something WAY outside the mainstream here... LOL

Personally, I'd give the guy a break.

No harm done.

Yes, what COULD HAVE HAPPENED is bad, but it didn't happen.

Give the lady a ticker-tape parade and make the cop wear the AR around his neck 24/7 for a week.

I guarantee you his homies in the department WILL NEVER LET HIM LIVE THAT DOWN. They'll humiliate his balls to mush.

He'll NEVER do that again.

Lesson learned.

I also know that NOBODY will agree with me. LOL

A friend of mine was in the sand box a few years ago, he said one of his squad misplaced his weapon. When it was recovered, they made him carry it around without a sling. Doesn't seem like much of a punishment, until you realize the only time they're not carrying is when they're sleeping, shitting, and eating.

Cop fail!

No harm done.

Give the lady a ticker-tape parade and make the cop wear the AR around his neck 24/7 for a week.

I guarantee you his homies in the department WILL NEVER LET HIM LIVE THAT DOWN. They'll humiliate his balls to mush.

He'll NEVER do that again.

Lesson learned.

I also know that NOBODY will agree with me. LOL

Nope. Can't agree with you on that. He should get the same punishment as anyone else that leaves a loaded weapon out on a lawn with small children nearby. The consequences are all the same. And "no round in the chamber"? Oh, gimme a break. Nice of his buddy to take care of that little detail for him.

And before we start any debates about whether he had never chambered a round, or emptied the chamber later, just let me echo the words of Don Henley...."I could be wrong, but I'm not."

Edited by DogMan
Nope. Can't agree with you on that. He should get the same punishment as anyone else that leaves a loaded weapon out on a lawn with small children nearby. The consequences are all the same. And "no round in the chamber"? Oh, gimme a break. Nice of his buddy to take care of that little detail for him.

Oh, I know nobody will agree.

I'm WAY soft on shit like this as compared to most.

It's one reason I never would have made Colonel in the military.

I wouldn't end a career over what "could have happened."

But, like I say, that's just me.

This guy is history. Career self-destruct.

Edited by Bounce12

Why can't that happen to me.........I would have had a new rifle for the collection. Sounds like they didn't even know it was missing. Could have never sold it or shot at the range because of the serial numbers but damn would have been fun to find and stash for that SHTF day. :rolleyes:

24 yrs ago I left a weapon, woke up 9 days later in sickbay of USS Iwo Jima. Don't believe our government has retrieved it. :smoke: With todays laws, a civilian would be in world of crap for that. Local LE very seldom, first I've heard misplace weapon. Now Feds., that's a whole nother matter. Believe it or not, the ATF is the worst for losing assigned weapons. :rolleyes:

Firstly... HOW THE FUCK DIDN'T THEY NOTICE?

... I came here with a weapon.... and uh... I set it down so I could tie my shoe.... now it is gone.

Do they not sign for their weapons? Just kind... meh, them out to their officers? WTF.

I'm sure by training to ensure this doesn't happen again they mean, everyone gets a healthy dose of I.T.

Fucking dummy cord that weapon to that guy. That'll be good.

Cop fail!

No harm done.

... I also know that NOBODY will agree with me. LOL

Nope. Can't agree with you on that. He should get the same punishment as anyone else that leaves a loaded weapon out on a lawn with small children nearby. The consequences are all the same. ...

Oh, you mean NOTHING should have happen to him? I mean what is the criminal penalty for leaving a loaded firearm out by the street? In most areas of the country the answer is NOTHING.

That is funny, because I would assume that you, if anyone, would have at least wanted the officer's error documented!

The cop screwed up, without a doubt, but if you have ever left your keys in your car, or even out where they could be found, you have left a lot more murderous potential available to anyone that wanted to make use of it, including children. How many of you feel that your life should be destroyed for something like that?

Cop fail!

No harm done.

... I also know that NOBODY will agree with me. LOL

Nope. Can't agree with you on that. He should get the same punishment as anyone else that leaves a loaded weapon out on a lawn with small children nearby. The consequences are all the same. ...

Oh, you mean NOTHING should have happen to him? I mean what is the criminal penalty for leaving a loaded firearm out by the street? In most areas of the country the answer is NOTHING.

That is funny, because I would assume that you, if anyone, would have at least wanted the officer's error documented!

The cop screwed up, without a doubt, but if you have ever left your keys in your car, or even out where they could be found, you have left a lot more murderous potential available to anyone that wanted to make use of it, including children. How many of you feel that your life should be destroyed for something like that?

Azrial, When I say punishment I mean criminal punishment. Any disiplinary action from his employer would and should be a no-brainer. As far as criminal penalties go, it would be debatable what charges would stick in the end but I guaran-F'ing-tee you that if an ordinary citizen left a loaded assault rifle out on anybody's front lawn with children anywhere in the area, the local Sheriff's department and the prosecutor would be grasping at any possible charge they could come up with. Probably child endangerment or reckless endangerment. Don't get me wrong, I have no illusion that will happen in this case.

Firstly... HOW THE FUCK DIDN'T THEY NOTICE?

... I came here with a weapon.... and uh... I set it down so I could tie my shoe.... now it is gone.

Do they not sign for their weapons? Just kind... meh, them out to their officers? WTF.

That's what I thought. Do they just not take inventory of their stuff?

The way ABC news treated this was like a Family Guy joke.

"Luckily, no one was injured. BUT IMAGINE IF THE 4 SMALL CHILDREN NEXT DOOR FOUND IT. There's enough bullets in the gun to kill 30 children!!!" :lolol:

wow, that could be a career ender for the cop, depending on how strict the department is. If I left a $2700 lifepak defibrillator on a scene,which can kill anyone thats dumb enough to pick it up and shock themselves with, I would probably get fired.

How many of you feel that your life should be destroyed for something like that?

Career destruction is too harsh for this if you ask me.

Nothing bad actually happened.

It was fucking dark out and the GD gun is black.

Shit.... give him some humiliating job to do like instruct the rest of the guys at the station how to inventory weapons after a call and let it go.

You know he's going to be getting plastic fingers with string tied in a bow (a hint to remember) from precincts all over the country.

His homies should just give him some nick name reflecting the event and make him wear it.

He'll be known across the country as the guy who left the AR on scene.

That's enough of a punishment if you ask me.

How many others are saying to themselves, "There, but for the grace of God, go I?"

Here's the bottom line if you ask me.... Nothing will be fixed by fucking this guy. Nothing will be gained. Nothing will be learned that we don't know right now.

What's the point of fucking him AND HIS FAMILY?

The guy has GOT to be absolutely DYING inside. Is that not enough? It is for me.

Edited by Bounce12
....As far as criminal penalties go, it would be debatable what charges would stick in the end but I guaran-F'ing-tee you that if an ordinary citizen left a loaded assault rifle out on anybody's front lawn with children anywhere in the area, the local Sheriff's department and the prosecutor would be grasping at any possible charge they could come up with. Probably child endangerment or reckless endangerment. Don't get me wrong, I have no illusion that will happen in this case.

Try and find the statute that you are talking about. In most states you will not find anything like this and frankly this indicative of the kind of liberal mindset that wants to hold everyone criminally libel for any firearm usage.

I am sure that you are correct, with the wrong anti-gun CLEO or Prosecutor, that might want to charge you with something, but that does not mean that there is a statute on the books to cover an accident like this, with "no deliberate intent."

Flat out, I do not believe that in most states that this is, or should be, a criminal matter, for anyone.

I never suggested for a minute that the guy should lose his job nor do I believe that he should. What I am suggesting is that whether someone is a cop or civilian this goes beyond the point where you can just say "Oh jeez, I'm so embarrased. Sorry about that". If this does not rise to the level of an unlawful act then I am stunned. How about if one of the neighbor kids was holding the gun when they showed up to recover it? How about if one of the kids fires a shot in the air? Has anything illegal happened here yet? Does somebody have to die before this is anything? If a kid dies then surely the cop is neglegent, but the negligence we would be talking about is the act of leaving the rifle there. So how does that get erased just because the trigger never gets pulled? I don't get it.

....As far as criminal penalties go, it would be debatable what charges would stick in the end but I guaran-F'ing-tee you that if an ordinary citizen left a loaded assault rifle out on anybody's front lawn with children anywhere in the area, the local Sheriff's department and the prosecutor would be grasping at any possible charge they could come up with. Probably child endangerment or reckless endangerment. Don't get me wrong, I have no illusion that will happen in this case.

Try and find the statute that you are talking about. In most states you will not find anything like this and frankly this indicative of the kind of liberal mindset that wants to hold everyone criminally libel for any firearm usage.

I am sure that you are correct, with the wrong anti-gun CLEO or Prosecutor, that might want to charge you with something, but that does not mean that there is a statute on the books to cover an accident like this, with "no deliberate intent."

Flat out, I do not believe that in most states that this is, or should be, a criminal matter, for anyone.

I'll bet you they would fry my ass in the commywealth of virginia, one damn way or another.

Cops and Prosecutors share one major thing in common, they are involved in the enforcement of laws. They are also bound by it.

It really does not make a hill of shit what they "like" or would prefer to "fry your ass over."

This state may have a law on the books like this, one that would punish a negligent act that happened without injury or without deliberate intent. But, it would be a pretty rare law and frankly I doubt it.

When we make assumptions that a law exists somewhere that would prohibit something we give law enforcement powers and discretions that the state legislatures, and ergo the people, never intended.

Like I said, a lifetime in law enforcement does not mean that I want to live in a police state.

As to his punishment, I would not waste time worried about that. You embarrass a Sheriff nationally and you will be punished for it, rest assured. The poor bastard!

When I said I'd give the guy a break, I wasn't talking about "prosecution."

Shit....

NO WAY would I prosecute the guy. Hell, he didn't commit a crime! WTF are you going to charge him with - criminal negligence? Getting distracted isn't a crime and nobody was hurt. His actions didn't result in anyone getting hurt.

I was talking about plain-old punishment. I was talking about a career-ending spanking.

I wouldn't even do that.

To err is human, but to forgive is not department policy.

I love how they make a point to show how the man whos lawn it was in has 3 kids. It sounds like they are implying that the gun would get up go in the house and slaughter the family on it own. I can see a problem with the kids being ignorant and thinking its a toy, but a shady person finding it isn't likly to kick in the nearest door with the thing on a power binge from the feeling of immortality, LOL :lolol:

Then again, this weapon probably had a bayonette lug, a pistol grip and a colapsable stock. We should all be happy it was a police weapon. A civilian owned one would have gotten up and butchered the whole cul-de-sac in thier sleep overnight! :cryss:

I love how they make a point to show how the man whos lawn it was in has 3 kids. It sounds like they are implying that the gun would get up go in the house and slaughter the family on it own. I can see a problem with the kids being ignorant and thinking its a toy, but a shady person finding it isn't likly to kick in the nearest door with the thing on a power binge from the feeling of immortality, LOL :lolol:

Then again, this weapon probably had a bayonette lug, a pistol grip and a colapsable stock. We should all be happy it was a police weapon. A civilian owned one would have gotten up and butchered the whole cul-de-sac in thier sleep overnight! :cryss:

I totally agree. AND don't forget, it probably had a flash-suppressor on it too! That makes it even MORE EVIL and the policeman's CRIME even MORE HEINOUS.

What a complete crock of shit.

Edited by Bounce12

You know, at SOME POINT, the police are going to start to ask themselves why they're out busting their asses and risking their lives for whatever it is they're making.

Considering the treatment they get (the "thanks" they get - "thanks" in quotes to denote sarcasm) for what they do...

Fuck, aren't there easier, safer, more lucrative, things to do with your life?

Who the hell is that reporter going to call when someone breaks into his house, the fire department? I'm not disparaging the fire department - I just use them as an example because they don't carry the EEEEVIIIIIILLL, fully-loaded, AR-15.

The idiot reporter is more concerned about sensationalizing the next news cycle than he is about public safety.

Fuck him.

I would have had me a new M4 upper and an optic if I found it in my front yard,LOL

It would be like leaving a leaving a new Escalae in the Bario,they would have come back to get it and it would be stripped to the frame laying there all pathetic :D