New trigger guard available

I found this posted on another site I belong to. It's just on the front page so I guess it's new. I don't see any other Saiga 12 products on their site.

http://www.ak-builder.com/

This one is rounded and may suit those who prefer that look. This one does not currently have a pistol grip nut built in but they say it will eventually (I don't quite understand why). The safety stop is a separate piece too. That's two strikes as far as I'm concerned but I thought I'd pass it along here and let others be their own judge. Price is basically the same but the work involved looks greater to me.

Interesting. I much prefer the shape of that one to either the Tromix or Saigatech guards. Make the guard, pistol grip mount and safety stop all one piece and I'll be very, very interested. :ph34r:

Edited by jswledhed
I found this posted on another site I belong to. It's just on the front page so I guess it's new. I don't see any other Saiga 12 products on their site.

http://www.ak-builder.com/

This one is rounded and may suit those who prefer that look. This one does not currently have a pistol grip nut built in but they say it will eventually (I don't quite understand why). The safety stop is a separate piece too. That's two strikes as far as I'm concerned but I thought I'd pass it along here and let others be their own judge. Price is basically the same but the work involved looks greater to me.

Finally something closer to the original Russian look!

These are closer to the Molot Vepr-12, and do have a selector stop - it is just hard to see in the picture. These are meant to be riveted on like the originals. Somewhere on this forum there is a thread on how to modify a standard AK TG to this configuration. Tromix and Saigatech have a more modern look - but it depends on your tastes - traditional or modern.

These are closer to the Molot Vepr-12, and do have a selector stop - it is just hard to see in the picture.

Its that little piece on the right, correct?

saiga12.jpg

Tromix and Saigatech have a more modern look - but it depends on your tastes - traditional or modern.

I prefer the traditional shapes. I wonder how the instal difficulty compares. The Tromix guard has to be the benchmark for ease of installation.

These are closer to the Molot Vepr-12, and do have a selector stop - it is just hard to see in the picture.

Its that little piece on the right, correct?

saiga12.jpg

Tromix and Saigatech have a more modern look - but it depends on your tastes - traditional or modern.

I prefer the traditional shapes. I wonder how the instal difficulty compares. The Tromix guard has to be the benchmark for ease of installation.

yes it is, and you can see the stop in the foreground (curling up and obscuring the closest rivet hole). You could use machine screws with nuts on the inside of the receiver if you can't rivet it in place.

Always nice to see more Saiga products hit the market!

Yes it is nice see - I think this TG looks like a well made product also. The fact that it includes the PG plate is a big plus - really helps IMO to make a stronger, more solid connection of the PG to the receiver. Something that will make a difference in the long haul from a durability standpoint.

yes it is, and you can see the stop in the foreground (curling up and obscuring the closest rivet hole). You could use machine screws with nuts on the inside of the receiver if you can't rivet it in place.

Forgive the ignorance, but the front mounting rivets/screws would require holes drilled in the receiver, correct? :unsure:

Forgive the ignorance, but the front mounting rivets/screws would require holes drilled in the receiver, correct? :unsure:

Yes, but the receiver is not very hard and is easy to drill. A drill press would be advised, but not necessary.

For the price, I'd suggest the Tromix All-in-one trigger guard. It requires no drilling.

If you can't wait for one of them, the Saigatech unit will do.

I think this one is not worth the money being asked.

The drilling is a strike against. Not a deal breaker, but a definite strike against.

Tromix, Saigatech, anyone else with metal forming talent and tools, are you listening? There seems to be a small market for DIY trigger guards more similar to OEM shape. A void needs to be filled. :ph34r:

Edited by jswledhed

For those of us who are trying to duplicate the Saiga 12-C this is a bargain. It costs less than I paid for a bulgarian tg, a reinforcement plate and a safety stop. And it will save me about 4 hours of modification time. So, if you like the traditional look, this is one way to go. If you want a quad rail on everything this is probably not for you.

I'm really not even sure what the big deal is with reusing the trigger guard that comes on the shotgun in the first place.

Is it THAT big a deal to reuse it?

I did just that on my x39. However, the advantage I'm seeing is the pistol grip mount. From what I've read about the 12s, one must cut a hole for a pistol grip nut or purchase a DIY part that includes the pistol grip mount. Is this not so? :unsure:

The drilling is a strike against. Not a deal breaker, but a definite strike against.

Tromix, Saigatech, anyone else with metal forming talent and tools, are you listening? There seems to be a small market for DIY trigger guards more similar to OEM shape. A void needs to be filled. :ph34r:

+1. I much prefer the look of a standard AK trigger guard. I don't fully understand the appeal of the futuristic angular ones that are currently available. It's like putting spinning rims on a classic car, if you ask me.

I hope that someone, anyone, starts making a DIY trigger guard kit that approximates the look of a standard AK. In the meantime, I'll probably just order a saigatech kit, however. I shot my S12 for the first time today, and I'm chompin' at the bit to get it converted.

I'm really not even sure what the big deal is with reusing the trigger guard that comes on the shotgun in the first place.

Is it THAT big a deal to reuse it?

I did just that on my x39. However, the advantage I'm seeing is the pistol grip mount. From what I've read about the 12s, one must cut a hole for a pistol grip nut or purchase a DIY part that includes the pistol grip mount. Is this not so? :unsure:

Yes, but that is no big deal.

In the old days, you had to cut a pistol grip nut hole in all Saigas (not just the shotguns).

You have to cut a pistol grip bolt hole with the trigger guard solution in this post, as well.

This all comes down to personal taste - if you want easy - go Tromix or Saigatech. If you want traditional "Molot clone" styling - I agree with HillBilly2 - it is well worth the money when you take into account the time involved in modifying one yourself. If you read closely - it says either rivet, or use machine screws to install, and there are two different models here (or soon to be) - one that has the traditional grip plate, and one that has the nut welded in place. IMO it is not that hard to drill the receiver, and use the machine screws if you don't have the tooling to set the rivets - and want the correct "look".

I've bought from Curtis before when building my AKs and he is a stand up guy. He's been around for a while. He has other stuff as well

this is an complete short rear trunion so you can remove your original and not have to cut it.

post-7660-1237599154_thumb.jpg

post-7660-1237599268_thumb.jpg

this is a screw plate that goes on the inside of the receiver so you don't have to use nuts

post-7660-1237599350_thumb.jpg

plus he makes jigs for removing and installing rivets and such....

Edited by utahhandyman

i have installed one of these trigger guards. i wanted the original look for my s12. i filed the extra material down to leave a smaller support by the rivets.

i didnt see the saiga selector stop or pistol grip nut. great products!

i ground down a standard 4 hole selector stop plate and used a pg reinforcement plate. i made the hole for the pg nut.

use the original hole to the rear of the trigger opening. then line up the trigger guard straight. mark the holes and drill. wasnt hard at all. worked out nice.

it is far enough back that you have plenty of room to hit the mag release. especially if you take off material like i did.

i have installed one of these trigger guards. i wanted the original look for my s12. i filed the extra material down to leave a smaller support by the rivets.

i didnt see the saiga selector stop or pistol grip nut. great products!

i ground down a standard 4 hole selector stop plate and used a pg reinforcement plate. i made the hole for the pg nut.

use the original hole to the rear of the trigger opening. then line up the trigger guard straight. mark the holes and drill. wasnt hard at all. worked out nice.

it is far enough back that you have plenty of room to hit the mag release. especially if you take off material like i did.

I would be very interested in seeing a pic of your mods. Did you use rivets to attach?

Slightly OT, but out of curiosity, has anyone tried using pop rivets to attach the trigger guard?

I wonder if this trigger guard is going to come with screw hardware for installing without rivet jigs.

Inadequate,the first time you go prone and jam your mag against something it will rip them right out via leverage alone.

Use screws,nuts and a backing plate if you don't want to rivet but pop-rivets are useless

Slightly OT, but out of curiosity, has anyone tried using pop rivets to attach the trigger guard?

I wonder if this trigger guard is going to come with screw hardware for installing without rivet jigs.

Inadequate,the first time you go prone and jam your mag against something it will rip them right out via leverage alone.

Use screws,nuts and a backing plate if you don't want to rivet but pop-rivets are useless

Au contraire, mes ami. We're talking Saigas here.

The mag catch is not part of the trigger guard on a Saiga.

Pop rivets (while ghetto) should work reasonably well.

I'm not sure what the big deal is with going to the hardware store and buying 8/32 cap head screws is, though.

This is exactly why I have been collecting takeoff TGs and plates...