BROKEN SAIGA 12 (help?)

I went out shooting the other day with a buddy and my saiga went CLICK instead of BOOM. I was like wtf? I cycled the bolt and the shell that came out had NO primer strike. Just for S&G I tried the next shell in the mag. CLICK. Again no primer strike. So I field strip it and pull the bolt out of the carrier. I push the firing pin in towards the breech face (like I had tried to fire it) with a coathanger and I cannot get it to protrude AT ALL. I can stick that coathanger down the FP channel almost 3/4". Does this mean I have a broken firing pin? Anyone know how to strip the bolt? I didn't get the owner's manual with this either.... I thought maybe there was just crud built up in there so I sprayed it out with BRAKLEEN (ghetto gunscrubber) and no difference. The pin is still spring-loaded it feels like but I wonder if I broke the end off? This is my first EVER malfunction with this otherwise perfect weapon, so any help would be appreciated.

Yep it sounds like the firing pin alright. It's a two part pin. Take the bolt out of the carrier and push out the cross pin that holds the bolt head to the rear part. Look to see if you even have anything in there.

What year model is it and how many rounds would you say you have through it?

This is getting crazy. I've been around these guns for 5 years and never heard of any broken firing pins. Now in the past two months I've heard of at least three or four. WTF is happening to QC at Izhmash???

Yep it sounds like the firing pin alright. It's a two part pin. Take the bolt out of the carrier and push out the cross pin that holds the bolt head to the rear part. Look to see if you even have anything in there.

What year model is it and how many rounds would you say you have through it?

This is getting crazy. I've been around these guns for 5 years and never heard of any broken firing pins. Now in the past two months I've heard of at least three or four. WTF is happening to QC at Izhmash???

I actually don't know the date of manufacture, where could I look that up? Which side of the bolt is this pin on? All of my tools ($40k) are at work 60 miles away.....Could I use a pen or something?

I actually don't know the date of manufacture, where could I look that up?

The year of manufacture is the first two digits of the serial number, e.g. 08xxxxxxx was made last year.

It's also stamped under the oval shaped Russian symbol on the LH side of your receiver.

Yes you can just use a nail or anything less than 1/8" diam. that is stiff enough to push the pin out.

Turn the bolt around in your hands and you will see the ends of this pin on opposite sides. It goes all the way through.

I've been reading all the "broken firing pin" threads too.

I can't believe there isn't a replacement part readily available. Aren't most of the Saiga-12 parts identical to AK's?

Are you out there Cadiz (BVamp)? Any insight? Do you guys have these replacement parts as part of your warranty service that can be sold separately?

Thanks all for the quick help, I got it apart, and the front half of the pin is busted. sonofaBITCH. The gun is an 08 btw, this thing was/is my favorite firearm I've ever had, anyone know where I can get the front half of the pin??

Cadiz (site sponsor at the top of the page) provides all warranty repair service for RAA. I'm not sure if a gun bought last year would qualify for warranty work, but it's worth a try. In the least, I would think they have a cache of spare parts that they could sell for non-warranty repairs.

Short of that, there's a thread floating around about replacement bolts being available. I don't know if the pin is included in the replacement assembly, but at $50 it's worth a try. I'll try to find the thread for you, but it's title was along the lines of "spare parts" and was at the top within the last day or two.

EDIT

Link: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=39368

Edited by billyjoebob
Thanks all for the quick help, I got it apart, and the front half of the pin is busted. sonofaBITCH. The gun is an 08 btw, this thing was/is my favorite firearm I've ever had, anyone know where I can get the front half of the pin??

Cadiz (site sponsor at the top of the page) provides all warranty repair service for RAA. I'm not sure if a gun bought last year would qualify for warranty work, but it's worth a try. In the least, I would think they have a cache of spare parts that they could sell for non-warranty repairs.

Short of that, there's a thread floating around about replacement bolts being available. I don't know if the pin is included in the replacement assembly, but at $50 it's worth a try. I'll try to find the thread for you, but it's title was along the lines of "spare parts" and was at the top within the last day or two.

EDIT

Link: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=39368

Wow thanks, I just got off the phone with Cadiz gun works, and Jim is going to call me back. I don't expect him to warranty the damn thing, I just want to buy a new OE firing pin. It's probabvly a $3 part any way, so why ship the thing cross-country TWICE yaknow?

Great. Let us know what Cadiz does for you. I'm sure there are a ton of us that are looking to put together spare parts for the gun.

Also, is there anyone out there that is more familiar with the nomenclature of both the Saiga and AK platforms that can tell us what parts are interchangable? I'm surprised that the firing pin would be different...

Great. Let us know what Cadiz does for you. I'm sure there are a ton of us that are looking to put together spare parts for the gun.

Also, is there anyone out there that is more familiar with the nomenclature of both the Saiga and AK platforms that can tell us what parts are interchangable? I'm surprised that the firing pin would be different...

From what it looks like on youtube the AK firing pin seems to be one piece. Just talked to Tom @ CGW and he offered to warranty the gun for me but I thought that would be a huge waste of both of our time/money. I offered to just pay for the thing ($20) and have him ship it to me rather than deal with the hassle of shipping a gun cross-country TWICE.

Danimal3805,

I had the same thing happen to mine two weeks ago. I am having gunfixr make me a couple of strikers to repair it. Nobody seems to have that part in stock and the importer didnt know when it would be available. CGW offered to have me ship my entire gun to them but I also felt that that was unnessary for such a simple repair. Why they couldnt just mail one out I do not know. I would gladly pay a reasonable price for a replacement. Anyway, I would PM gunfixr and talk to him about making you a couple of spares. His price was reasonable and he appears to be the only one who has a solution to this problem. Oh FYI my gun was a July 08 date, how about yours? Maybe July wasnt a good month at the factory!

Danimal3805,

I had the same thing happen to mine two weeks ago. I am having gunfixr make me a couple of strikers to repair it. Nobody seems to have that part in stock and the importer didnt know when it would be available. CGW offered to have me ship my entire gun to them but I also felt that that was unnessary for such a simple repair. Why they couldnt just mail one out I do not know. I would gladly pay a reasonable price for a replacement. Anyway, I would PM gunfixr and talk to him about making you a couple of spares. His price was reasonable and he appears to be the only one who has a solution to this problem. Oh FYI my gun was a July 08 date, how about yours? Maybe July wasnt a good month at the factory!

RIGHT?!? I dunno what month mine is but the serial # is 08420xxx (i would list the last 3 #'s but I forgot em) And yes I'm going to PM gunfixr and see if he can make me some. I have connections at a local machine shop (Brother Freemasons) and I am going to see if they have the capability to make one (or several) out of some better steel

:eek:

$20?...for a 3/4" or so long piece of steel? I'd use a nail first....

Isn't gunfixr making these for a whole lot less?

I actually made a temporary striker pin out of a nail I found in a picture hanging kit I had laying around. I dremeled it to the proper length and I am happy to report that it does indeed work just fine. Gotta love the AK design! I doubt I could do that with my Benelli SBE 2. I am not exactly sure what size it was but it was an exact fit for the hole in the bolt face and the head held the spring in place. I ran a few rounds thru the gun to see if it would work and it ran just fine. The primer strikes were identical to the factory striker as well (good thing I didnt clean up all my spent shells from my last shoot). If you do this make sure that the length is correct because run the risk of pircing the primer or having a slam fire. There are not too many guns out there whose parts can be replaced with common household items! This is another reason I admire the Kalashnikov design. Of course this nail will be replaced when I get a new striker.

• Like 1
:eek:

$20?...for a 3/4" or so long piece of steel? I'd use a nail first....

Isn't gunfixr making these for a whole lot less?

I actually made a temporary striker pin out of a nail I found in a picture hanging kit I had laying around. I dremeled it to the proper length and I am happy to report that it does indeed work just fine. Gotta love the AK design! I doubt I could do that with my Benelli SBE 2. I am not exactly sure what size it was but it was an exact fit for the hole in the bolt face and the head held the spring in place. I ran a few rounds thru the gun to see if it would work and it ran just fine. The primer strikes were identical to the factory striker as well (good thing I didnt clean up all my spent shells from my last shoot). If you do this make sure that the length is correct because run the risk of pircing the primer or having a slam fire. There are not too many guns out there whose parts can be replaced with common household items! This is another reason I admire the Kalashnikov design. Of course this nail will be replaced when I get a new striker.

That is one for the record books. You are a genious. Of all the crazy things that I have attempted, I would not have thought of that. Great Job!!

thats Yankee ingenuity. Great job, but i would check it after a couple of rounds and made sure it isn't bending or galling causing it to get stuck causing a full auto slamfire fest. that would be scary, fun, and dangerous all at the same time. Most nails are pretty soft so be careful.

• 4 months later...

the day and month are in your factory provided manual.

ANOTHER gun with a broken firing pin.

Do you have the original box that the gun came in? if you do, send me a PM, I want you to pull a number off of it for me.

Is your front sight post staked or threaded on?

Don't know if this will help or not, but about 40 years ago, my dad had a firing pin break in his shotgun, and he simply made a new one from an arc welding rod.

Welding rod comes in several thicknesses, and a variety of hardnesses, and makeups.

BTW, I have inherited this shotgun, and had it at Knob Creek about a month ago shooting it.

Edited by jtp

I've got an extra laying around somewhere. If I can't find it, I'll fabricate one for you. No charge. PM me with your email address.

WS

• Like 1