meh, the whole 2012 thing is all superstition

and i'm getting real sick of all these disaster flicks

shit, even the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still, classic 50's/60's sci-fi, got turned into some pussy ass "go green/global warming is gonna kill us all" propaganda film

I don't know if I'd say it's all "superstition", but it's NOT the "end of the world". According to many of the Aztec calendars (they have around 26 different ones, for different cycles), December 12, 2012 (I think it's 10:11am Greenwich Mean Time) will mark the end of one Great Cycle and the beginning of another. According to them, living through such a time was supposed to be cause for great celebration and great change.

There ARE some things that are interesting about that date and time, though - but which merely show the Aztecs' accuracy in astronomy. The Winter Solstice falls on that date, and on that date, at that time, the sun, viewed from Earth, will align perfectly with the center of the Milky Way galaxy, something that would have been rather difficult for the Aztecs to know.

I find it all intriguing, but I'm certainly not *worried* about the end of the world. I'll be planning a party. :)

I don't know if I'd say it's all "superstition", but it's NOT the "end of the world". According to many of the Aztec calendars (they have around 26 different ones, for different cycles), December 12, 2012 (I think it's 10:11am Greenwich Mean Time) will mark the end of one Great Cycle and the beginning of another. According to them, living through such a time was supposed to be cause for great celebration and great change.

There ARE some things that are interesting about that date and time, though - but which merely show the Aztecs' accuracy in astronomy. The Winter Solstice falls on that date, and on that date, at that time, the sun, viewed from Earth, will align perfectly with the center of the Milky Way galaxy, something that would have been rather difficult for the Aztecs to know.

I find it all intriguing, but I'm certainly not *worried* about the end of the world. I'll be planning a party. :)

The date is december 21, not 12

Yes, it's just superstition. All it marks is the end of the calendar, and a new "cycle" in the zodiac. If 12/21/2012 means anything at all, it's that ancient cultures had decent astronomy.

But with that said, who else here wants to bet that the same idiots who jacked up gun/ammo prices after the election are going to jack them up at the end of 2012?

It should also be noted that ancient cultures were very much aware of the winter solstice, and the period following from the 21-25 of what we call december. For this period the sun "dies" in that it sits at its lowest point on the horizon. For ancient cultures, the "rebirth" of the sun and longer days mean that crops would once again grow, in other words, allow them to live on.

Ask me on 2212 :rolleyes: If it does I guess we'll never know and the History channel, Nat Geo, and Discovery can all say we told you so. As far as I'm concerned it's all hype for RUSH's come back tour. What I really want to know is which one of you jackasses are going to be running around shooting shit thinking the zombies are coming right before Christmas. :angel:

Live every day like there's no tomorrow :super: , one day you'll be right.

Hocus pocus. Just to set the record straight, the world isn't going to end until it gets swallowed up by our sun when it turns into a red giant here in about 4 billion years. Global warming is a fraud. It's happening, granted, but it's 100% corollary with solar cycles. It's getting pushed so people in the US and Western Europe willingly decrease their standards of living in order to cushion our fall into the third world.

Edited by fasdfs
We should have burned the REST of the codecs from that heathen civilization....

We (as in the spanish psuedo-catholic barbarians) did, ya dick. :haha: Only four Mayan codices survived the enlightment of european enslavement, and to this day we really dont know much about the entire culture and history of the region, because there isnt really enough writing left to formulate an understanding of what the little that did survive says, and the rest perished in the priest's fires.

There were some well intentioned monks in the new world of course, the most notable of them being Bernardino de Sahagún, who wrote Historia general de las cosas de Nueva España which to this day is the best way for the nahuatl people still in mexico to learn anything about their own culture and history, but there was no interested parties in the mayan conquest, and practically nothing is known about the largest civilization to develop in the new world.

Bookburning and other types of censorship are abhorrent affronts to the quest for knowledge, no matter who wrote the book, or who burned them.

Edited by ReverendFranz