How to store the Master Bedroom "go to gun."

I have a new problem regarding storage of my home defense shotgun. Where to keep it and how to store it. With teenagers in the house, I do not feel comfortable with a shotgun out in the open in my bedroom. So, probably like many people, keeping it under the bed seems like a logical solution. However, I just realized something. If I sell the 870 with the Surefire forend, my "go to" 870 will be my Police 870 with a side mounted Surefire. This is absolutely fine, but I do not have a case which will zip closed over the gun with the side mounted light. Leaving the case open would certainly speed up access to the gun, but even though my wife cleans a mean house, dog and cat hair will surely get into the gun if it is not closed up under the bed. Probably not even a little animal hair, more likely a lot of hair.

So, what are my options? I have some ideas, but I'd appreciate your thoughts.

1. I could put a Surefire forend on the Police 870. But, the side mounted Surefire is very bright and is otherwise fine;

2. I can keep the shotgun in the soft case, mostly unzipped. But, then I deal with the pet hair;

3. Find a bigger case;

4. Put a lower rail on the 870 and mount the light underneath the forend;

5. Wrap the gun in a blanket - should keep the hair out, well most of it, and this would probably allow rather fast access to the gun in an emergency;

6. Give up my whole concept of the 870 and mount an under the rail light on my S-12.

7. Give up on everything and move into a cave in the Rockies.

Do you have any other storage solutions/ideas for keeping the 870 "out of sight" in the bedroom, but readily accessible and clean.

WJ

Edited by WarriorJudge

A buddy of mine took a zipper soft case and attached two long pieces of material that had been rolled up a few times on the far ends.

Those go under the mattress and across the box springs.

All he has to do is reach down and lift it out.

WJ you might glean some useful info on the subject from this thread I found on another forum....

http://ingunowners.com/forums/general_fire...un_shotgun.html

And I don't know if you have seen this but it's kinda cool....

http://www.the-backup.com/

And some interesting commentary on the subject I just found...lol.

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2007/10/12/t...-bedmounte.html

This is a good question Warrior judge, and one I've been wondering about for awhile myself. I have 4 labs, and the amount of hair is just phenominal! No matter how much I brush them, wash them and vacuum - it is a never ending battle of hair. That bed back up thing looks really good, but my bed is a water bed frame with a regular mattress. It does have the drawers under it though, but nothing long enough to put a gun in and then there would be the problem of fumbling around pulling out a 3 foot long drawer. I might buy some of those neodymium magnets and make a couple of holders with the heat shrink tubing (you tube instructions) strong enough to hold my Mossberg up under the bed overhang where the drawers are.

My theory is that it's easier to gun-proof a child than child-proof a gun. I have an 18 year old, a 10 year old (boys), and a 7 year old (girl). They all know how to shoot, they all know to leave dad's guns alone. When I'm not around they are locked up and only my wife knows where the key is. At night when I go to sleep my "go to" weapons are within reach. They get locked up again when I leave for work in the morning.

As far as the hair situation goes, take an old beach towel that's long enough to cover the weapon. Do a single fold over it (not wrapped) so that if you need the shotgun, you can grab a handful of towel, drag it out and flip the single fold over for immediate access (much faster than a zipper). Make sure the back of the fold is towards the interior side of the bed so you drag the weapon out with it. It would suck if you ended up with an empty towel instead of a shotgun.

one option could be to rest your shotgun on some rubberized utility hooks mounted above the closet door. i did that for a while. chamber empty, safety on, with a masterlock combination triggerlock. kept the trigger lock one number off. even in total darkness, i could easily rock n roll

ADS137.jpg

94%20Gun.jpg

not as secure from theft as a safe, but at least out of sight and away from dust and pet hair

If you have any woodworking skills, you could make a "inside the wall" gun safe. It's what I'm planning on doing. Just cut the drywall from between two studs, build a case that fits inside the studs, install a lock with a fingerprint door lock, and finally, add some trim and paint to make it look nice. The reason for the fingerprint lock is so that you don't need to find a key when someone's broken into your house. Just swipe your finger and the lock opens. And only the fingerprints you register in the lock will open it.

If you have any woodworking skills, you could make a "inside the wall" gun safe. It's what I'm planning on doing. Just cut the drywall from between two studs, build a case that fits inside the studs, install a lock with a fingerprint door lock, and finally, add some trim and paint to make it look nice. The reason for the fingerprint lock is so that you don't need to find a key when someone's broken into your house. Just swipe your finger and the lock opens. And only the fingerprints you register in the lock will open it.

I like this idea a lot. The wife is wanting to redo the bedroom and this would fit nicely into those plans.

Currently my Saiga 12 sits in the closet with the bolt open and a five round mag of OO buck.

Sling it and make an large S hook to hang in in the closet between the long winter coats or on the back of your bedroom door if you have a coat hook there. A bathrobe on top of that keeps it hidden...

I like this idea a lot. The wife is wanting to redo the bedroom and this would fit nicely into those plans.

Currently my Saiga 12 sits in the closet with the bolt open and a five round mag of OO buck.

just a thought you might use 2 by 6 studs ply board then sheetrock over that ,good sound barrier as well .

just a thought you might use 2 by 6 studs ply board then sheetrock over that ,good sound barrier as well .

Sparky, what do you do when the snakes break into your house? AGP 12 rounder filled with 3" magnum 000 buck?

If move to a cave is the best option, then sure, it might as well be a big cave with lots of room for visitors

GunnyR: Thanks for the ideas. I actually found an old "Barney the Dinosaur" beach towel under the sink and I have put Barney to good use. I wrapped up the 870 and slid it under the bed where it can easily and quickly be accessed and Barney will keep the animal hair off of the gun.

However, I do like the idea of the hidden wall safe. I am not that handy, but my Father is. I am going to try to talk him into helping me put one in the next time he visits.

WJ

If move to a cave is the best option, then sure, it might as well be a big cave with lots of room for visitors

GunnyR: Thanks for the ideas. I actually found an old "Barney the Dinosaur" beach towel under the sink and I have put Barney to good use. I wrapped up the 870 and slid it under the bed where it can easily and quickly be accessed and Barney will keep the animal hair off of the gun.

However, I do like the idea of the hidden wall safe. I am not that handy, but my Father is. I am going to try to talk him into helping me put one in the next time he visits.

WJ

WJ, you're welcome. I'd love to have the wall safe also but the cheap towel solution would work for me (because I'm cheap).

Oh man now I've got that damn Barney song stuck in my head...I forgot how much that tune makes me want to stick an icepick in my ear!

BTW, why try to find a cave when decommissioned missile silos are all over the place?

I have a mount behind my headboard on the bed for my pistol. Perhaps rigging something like that for the shotgun? Out of sight, off the floor, and out of mind, with your, and your wife's exception.

We keep our bedroom door closed, and locked at night. It gives extra time to get to the gun if someone breaks in. It will take them a minute or so to get the door open since it opens opposite side of the bedroom. They can't kick it in etc... With that much noise, it will surely wake us. I keep my AK propped against my wall beside me, so its not like they stand a chance or anything. :)

We have a guns lying all around the room. The boy doesn't mess with em, hes 12, and he knows better.

Edited by JonTheSavage

My concern is not my kids, but their friends. We have teenagers roaming through our house all the time. You just never know when one wonders in where they don't belong and grabs somthing they should not touch.

I'm particularly worried about their boyfriends. So, I've got be be extra careful, at least for a few years until my kids leave and before I get grandkids.

WJ

Oh, GunnyR, if I ever won the lottery, I'd be all over that silo with the house on top and next to the airport. Awesome. Unfortunately, on a Civil Servant's salary, there is no missle silo in my foreseeable future.

Edited by WarriorJudge
My concern is not my kids, but their friends. We have teenagers roaming through our house all the time. You just never know when one wonders in where they don't belong and grabs somthing they should not touch.

I'm particularly worried about their boyfriends. So, I've got be be extra careful, at least for a few years until my kids leave and before I get grandkids.

WJ

I'm in the same boat WJ. And your right about the friends. I have taught my daughter proper gun safety, its the other kids that concern me.

This is why the idea of the between the studs space with the fingerprint lock is so intriguing to me. This will definitely be part of the remodel.

I hope your "Barney" rig never has to go T-Rex on anybody! :lol:

Unfortunately, friend, if you have a problem with a teenager infestation, you will probably need to keep the firearms locked up. Most trigger locks are crap, especially if you keep the weapon loaded, from what I understand the firearm can still go off, if you put pressure on the lock.

The only thing I can think of is to keep your shotgun in a foot locker at the foot of your bed, maybe set it up, so you can break it open in an emergency, otherwise, it would look like a standard lock box. Teens are most likely not going to get into something like that.

Warrior Judge,

I would look into these guys. The guy who owns / started the company is a member of a local shooting forum that I also belong to (yes, there are others).

http://www.santacruzgunlocks.com/

I have a couple that I have not installed yet. They work on 12v as well. This could be a neat option as with a little ingenuity one could rig up a 110-12v inverter, a 12v motorcycle battery and an alarm key fob for instant access with no key needed that had a power out back up system.

Another alternative would be a hidden button for access but as you stated it is to keep it from prying fingers.

It is my understanding that he is working on a similar set up but has not completed it yet. They are not all that expensive either, around 100$ for the lock, then the other stuff. There is also a key override as well.

That is pretty interesting. Maybe it would be overkill, but this locking device would be perfect built into the wall with a fake panel covering it. Out of sight, yet if someone did find it, they still could not have access to the gun. I have not yet priced the safes which would go into the wall, but I am certain this would be less expensive.

WJ.

WOW! This thread has just given me an awesome new idea that I don't think anyone has thought of before. I bet I could sell a crapload of them too!.....DAMN I don't have time for this kinda stuff!

:ph34r:

If it involves woodworking pm me!

I have a mount behind my headboard on the bed for my pistol. Perhaps rigging something like that for the shotgun? Out of sight, off the floor, and out of mind, with your, and your wife's exception.

We keep our bedroom door closed, and locked at night. It gives extra time to get to the gun if someone breaks in. It will take them a minute or so to get the door open since it opens opposite side of the bedroom. They can't kick it in etc... With that much noise, it will surely wake us. I keep my AK propped against my wall beside me, so its not like they stand a chance or anything. :)

We have a guns lying all around the room. The boy doesn't mess with em, hes 12, and he knows better.

As my biggest concern is someone shooting me with my own gun, in my own house, I keep them all in the safe when not at home, except my favorite concealed carry. We also close and lock our bedroom door at night, will make noise and allow valuable seconds. Pistol is loaded W/one in the pipe on the stand beside me, and S20 laying on the window bench, bolt open W/5 OO rounds and 5 3' slugs in extra mag beside it. It is a nightly ritual to do this and a morning ritual to put everything back in the safe. I'm also a cheap SOB :dollar:

What he ^ said. (and I said earlier...lol) And if you have a waterbed like me, this is something I drew up in MS paint, the last time this subject came up. ;)

post-1293-1246511303_thumb.jpg

Me?...honestly?...about four feet from where I'm sleeping, I have a wall rack, floor to ceiling, full of AKs, and AK shotties that I can choose from in less than the time it takes for my dog to run down the hall and eat the sumbitch alive, but it's actually a lot easier to just grab that Glock that's tucked in the corner of the bed frame next to my pillow.