best all around shotgun????

hello all... this is my 1st post, I love AK's and am planning on adding to my collection by getting a Saiga very soon... my current shotgun is a Mossberg 500 which I love but am looking to replace with something more versatile like the Saiga... I am considering getting the 12 guage 19" with threaded barrel and changing the stock to a Tapco pistol grip with 6 position stock...

I'm mainly looking for 1. increased capacity with 12 round mag and eventually 30 round drum

2. easy to use for home defense (turn any would be burglar to hamburger in just a few seconds)

3. protection for my soon to be daughter for scumbag guys (also turned to hamburger in a few seconds)

4. honing shooting skills by shooting clays

5. blowing the crap out of anything else I can find in Texas at a private shooting range I'm looking to join next year.

would you say the 12 guage 19" threaded is the best shotgun for what I'm looking for? thanks, Bearhead

:killer:

:beer:

Yes it is perfect for what you are wanting to do.

I don't recommend shooting your daughters boyfriends though.

And there is no 30 round drum for the 12 gauge. Only the 20.

thanks, I'm not looking to shoot boyfriends, they will be thoroughly screened... I'm talking about scumbags that should be shot... 20 is still much better than the 6 rounds my Mossberg pump shotgun holds...

Welcome aboard! Congratulations on your upcoming Saiga 12 purchase... it's one that you definitely won't regret.

The Saiga 12 is an excellent shotgun platform and you'll find plenty of useful and helpful information here. If you end up looking for a quality tri-rail hand guard be sure to check out our website. We design our hand guards specifally for home defense purposes. Also, if you look into drums be sure to buy the MD-20. It's a truly excellent design from a great company and everyone I know that has one or more (including myself!) love them.

Zach

KROSS FA

hello all... this is my 1st post, I love AK's and am planning on adding to my collection by getting a Saiga very soon... my current shotgun is a Mossberg 500 which I love but am looking to replace with something more versatile like the Saiga... I am considering getting the 12 guage 19" with threaded barrel and changing the stock to a Tapco pistol grip with 6 position stock...

I'm mainly looking for 1. increased capacity with 12 round mag and eventually 30 round drum

2. easy to use for home defense (turn any would be burglar to hamburger in just a few seconds)

3. protection for my soon to be daughter for scumbag guys (also turned to hamburger in a few seconds)

4. honing shooting skills by shooting clays

5. blowing the crap out of anything else I can find in Texas at a private shooting range I'm looking to join next year.

would you say the 12 guage 19" threaded is the best shotgun for what I'm looking for? thanks, Bearhead

:beer:

We've also got some great hamburger recipes! :super:

MarthaStewartSignsCopiesNewCookBook.jpg

Edited by DogMan

bearhead, listen to gunnyr and definately do the proper conversion. The conversion and other work on your S 12

makes a huge difference, or so I've found. Do your homework on this site,watch the conversion video's and take

your time. Yeah it takes time and work,but you'll have the shotgun you hoped for and then some.

To the OP: Saigas are built on a great platform that can handle years of abuse. Being that as it may, they also require a significant break-in period. So don't expect to be guaranteed a rifle that when you pull it out of the box is going to cycle all of your ammo flawlessly. You should expect that you will need to learn all of the nuances of your Saiga, from barrel to butt.

Bridis, why are you even discussing rifles when the OP is asking about the shotgun?

Are you sure you know what you are talking about? :rolleyes:

LMFAO :lolol::lolol::lolol: +1

bearhead, the S-12 shotgun will do most of that and much more. Try to do the proper conversion instead of just hanging the Tapco pistol grip. It improves the balance and handling of the weapon.

Yeah !!! What he said...very good advice :super:

Bridis, why are you even discussing rifles when the OP is asking about the shotgun?

bearhead, the S-12 shotgun will do most of that and much more. Try to do the proper conversion instead of just hanging the Tapco pistol grip. It improves the balance and handling of the weapon.

Oooh boy, ya got me there. I just hope that I didn't throw him off with the other shotgun related terms, like S-12 and MD-20. But if you think that the OP is stupid enough to get confused by the use of the term rifle when refering to a sholder firing weapon. You might want to futher explain to him how he would "hang" a Tapco pistol grip from his S-12. <_<

Oooh boy, ya got me there. I just hope that I didn't throw him off with the other shotgun related terms, like S-12 and MD-20. But if you think that the OP is stupid enough to get confused by the use of the term rifle when refering to a sholder firing weapon. You might want to futher explain to him how he would "hang" a Tapco pistol grip from his S-12. <_<

lol, that obviously just went right over your head Bridis. I don't think anyone was worried that the OP was going to be confused with your rifle comment, it is just pretty rude and a bit hilarious to rag on someone else for a post that isn't 100% factually accurate, tell them how you know better when to or not to post, then do basically the same thing. You just made yourself sound like a complete hypocrite.

Kinda like when noob kids say, "LOL look he kant even spell!!! Wat a total dubass!!! Did you even go to skool like me??? LOL, don't even post untel you lern to spel!!!!" Your rifle post about a shotgun just had that kinda feel to it :) when you include:

2. Current poster, you really shouldn't post things that you're not sure about, especially when it comes to the newbies. It's really not fair for them or yourself. I know everyone likes to help or be looked at as being helpful. But you should really stop and think, "Do I really know what I'm talking about?", before you post.

So that obviously means you were sure this was a rifle discussion? Cause you obviously reread your post and asked yourself, "Do I really know what I am talking about?" Kinda a douche bag comment to give toward someone else when you did the exact same thing you complained about if you ask me. Might want to proof read your posts when you are complaining about the accuracy of others and telling them they shouldn't have posted in the first place.... and drop your holier-than-thou attitude you've got going.

Like I said, pretty rude and a bit hilarious... Sorry you left yourself wide open for this one, and I'm not having a very good day as it is.

Edited by stix213

Allied Alliance........ Alliance Armament....... I got the AA part right and the fact that they are not well liked around these parts. Two out of three aint bad LOL

Seriously, sorry for giving you incorrect info bearhead, I usually do a better job than that.

lol, that obviously just went right over your head Bridis. I don't think anyone was worried that the OP was going to be confused with your rifle comment, it is just pretty rude and a bit hilarious to rag on someone else for a post that isn't 100% factually accurate, tell them how you know better when to or not to post, then do basically the same thing. You just made yourself sound like a complete hypocrite.

Kinda like when noob kids say, "LOL look he kant even spell!!! Wat a total dubass!!! Did you even go to skool like me??? LOL, don't even post untel you lern to spel!!!!" Your rifle post about a shotgun just had that kinda feel to it :) when you include:

So that obviously means you were sure this was a rifle discussion? Cause you obviously reread your post and asked yourself, "Do I really know what I am talking about?" Kinda a douche bag comment to give toward someone else when you did the exact same thing you complained about if you ask me. Might want to proof read your posts when you are complaining about the accuracy of others and telling them they shouldn't have posted in the first place.... and drop your holier-than-thou attitude you've got going.

Like I said, pretty rude and a bit hilarious... Sorry you left yourself wide open for this one, and I'm not having a very good day as it is.

Nothing went over my head. He was being a smartass and I returned the favor, that's all. However, my first post in the thread was solid advice. I'm sorry if you or others took it wrong. Furthermore, I also think it's kind of rude and a bit hilarious when someone like you tries to over analize a person's post, feverishly trying to find something wrong with it so you can point it out like some sort of brainiac. But then again you're here being critical of my post and at the same time telling me how wrong it was to be critical of someone else's. Talk about hypocrite.

Edited by Bridis
...someone like you tries to over analize a person...
(emphasis mine)

"Analize"? Is that what they did to you in prison, Bridis? :lol:

I think perhaps you meant analyze. :haha:

Sorry, I just couldn't help it. :D

I also think that in your first post on this thread you came off as a bit of a dick, Bridis, (intentionally or not).

Anyway.....

To the OP: you will love your S-12. Convert Restore her properly, (changing out the OEM stock for the Tapco part is not a proper restoration), and you will love her much more. :smoke:

Edited by post-apocalyptic
Just be forewarned, Saiga's are addictive!

I'm pretty convinced that Saigas are steel heroin. Loads of fun and less track marks.

RIGHT!?!?!?

When I first saw them I said, "I've got to get me a couple . . ." Once I got them I said, "And a couple more, and a couple more . . ."

Bridis, my reply did go over your head.

We understand that we post opinions for the most part while there are some hardcore experts that post facts about the Saigas. Some post when we're drunk, some post when we're pissed, and some post when we're having a pretty good day. Sometimes we're wrong, and sometimes we learn something new. That's the reason we have the forum in the first place, an open exchange of ideas, opinions, and facts. Mind the word "open" because we take it to mean that anyone can post any damn thing they want.

But when someone comes along and comments that so-and-so shouldn't post until they know what they are talking about blah, blah blah and proceeds to make an elementary mistake...well, don't be surprised if we call you on it.

It's called hubris.

Have a nice day!

P.S.

In case you STILL missed it, I find it hypocritical that you would dare attempt to suppress anyone's right to free speech in a gun forum.

For a semi auto, a Saiga 12 is going to work just fine. I like 5 round mags because you can put them easily in pouches. If you're so inclined you can get higher capacity mags and they all work great. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you go clay shooting with them too. Aim a little low and they work great.

If you want a pump, get a 870 or a Mossy with a matte finish. I hate glossy finishes that mossberg usually puts on their guns, but the matte finishes are more durable.

Bridis, my reply did go over your head.

We understand that we post opinions for the most part while there are some hardcore experts that post facts about the Saigas. Some post when we're drunk, some post when we're pissed, and some post when we're having a pretty good day. Sometimes we're wrong, and sometimes we learn something new. That's the reason we have the forum in the first place, an open exchange of ideas, opinions, and facts. Mind the word "open" because we take it to mean that anyone can post any damn thing they want.

But when someone comes along and comments that so-and-so shouldn't post until they know what they are talking about blah, blah blah and proceeds to make an elementary mistake...well, don't be surprised if we call you on it.

It's called hubris.

Have a nice day!

P.S.

In case you STILL missed it, I find it hypocritical that you would dare attempt to suppress anyone's right to free speech in a gun forum.

Maybe you think that you're bright enough to compose something that is beyond one's comprehension. You may even be smarter than most of the dillweeds you hang out with and that's what is causing your delusions of gandeur. But in my case, your're wrong. I got exactly what you were saying and the point you were attempting to make with your tediuos evaluation of my post.

Let's see if you can wrap your genius mind around this. Can't you see that you are citicizing me for being critical about someone else? Can you see the hypocrisy in that?

BTW, I didn't attempt to "suppress free speech". (What a foolish deduction. LOL...) I simply requested that people not misinform new members by giving them incorrect information.

Now piss off, and take your brain games for dummies elsewhere.

Thanks.

Your mossberg 500 pump is already about the best HD shotgun... I'd definitely prefer pump to semi-auto due to reliability. Pump guns go bang every time and eat any ammo... low cost, low maintainence. Just like a revolver versus an assault rifle, there's just far fewer moving parts to go awry. Also, weilding shotguns indoors is hard enough as it is... a pump is much easier to maneuver with no long mag or drum.

My Saiga is definitely more fun and gets more attention at the range, but HD is about functionality, not putting on a show. Semi-auto can be problematic: I have had jams from time to time with birdshot and even once in awhile with buckshot in my Saiga. My pump (870), on the other hand, has never failed to go bang in thousands of shots with any ammo I've ran through it.

Maybe you think that you're bright enough to compose something that is beyond one's comprehension. You may even be smarter than most of the dillweeds you hang out with and that's what is causing your delusions of gandeur. But in my case, your're wrong. I got exactly what you were saying and the point you were attempting to make with your tediuos evaluation of my post.

Let's see if you can wrap your genius mind around this. Can't you see that you are citicizing me for being critical about someone else? Can you see the hypocrisy in that?

BTW, I didn't attempt to "suppress free speech". (What a foolish deduction. LOL...) I simply requested that people not misinform new members by giving them incorrect information.

Now piss off, and take your brain games for dummies elsewhere.

Thanks.

Thanks for all the chuckles! It's been fun watching you scream and cry like a little baby after getting your card yanked.

Now excuse me while I add you to the ignore list.

For an opinion contrary to most re converting your new gun, I got a 19" and put on a Tapco Intrafuse T6 stock, a DPH Russian style slotted muzzle brake, a Surefire 12-round mag, and a MD 20-round drum. The trigger on my Saiga was very good so I felt no need to mess with it.

As close as I need to a conversion.

The gun even shoots Federal LE reduced recoil 2 3/4" slugs on the #1 gas setting. With the Pachmayr recoil pad I also added, the LE slugs make it feel like a .223, and getting back on target is very fast.

It is my prime home defense long gun, and quite the crowd attractor when I send 20 slugs downrange in about 8 seconds.

BTW, I would avoid the temptation to get get "well-priced" Pro Mag magazines. I have 2 and they have barely fed a round.

Edited by SELFDEFENSE
...The trigger on my Saiga was very good so I felt no need to mess with it...

The OEM Rube-Goldberg-inspired "sporter" triggergroup may seem ok, but it really is barely adequate. If you think it's "very good", you have no idea what you're missing by not converting restoring your S-12 and putting a proper semi-auto AK triggergroup in your gun.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
Thanks for all the chuckles! It's been fun watching you scream and cry like a little baby after getting your card yanked.

Now excuse me while I add you to the ignore list.

Another hypocritical statement by the roving genius. "You're acting like a baby, so I'm going to ignore you"

Please, put me on ignore. One less moron to deal with. :lol:

I also agree with post-apocalyptic. The "converted" trigger group is something that should be a part of every conversion. :up: