Stupid things you have done with your Saiga

Well here is a new one...

I was inspecting the barrel of my S12(no, obviously I did not kill myself). Anyways, I saw what looked like markings in the bore and I shit a brick. I fumbled for hours trying to figure out if my bore was already pitted or not.

I was this || close to exploring warranty options... when I thought of trying to figure out where the gas holes are. So I shined a light into the holes from the gas tube side and sure enough, the markings were the goddamn gas holes.

To load a round and then inspect the barrel after that was tempting.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The wife had an AD a little while back with my S12. She had fired birdshot with no problem. Started her out with one round in five round mag at a time. All was going well so I said lets put some O

Oh good God, stupid things I have done with guns. This is going to take a while. None of this is Saiga related, seeing how I grew up in California. Alas...   ----------   I have this little Mos

Posted Images

Heres a new one...

Hot off the vice. (VERY hot)

When you're modifying your receiver to accommodate the Tapco G-2-double-hook FCG, DO NOT get "Dremel High" & remove to much metal to the point where you can pull the trigger WAY to far...

post-19652-1252292788.gif

Unless you weld & you can easily add steel & just want something to post in this thread.

Take a tiny bit off at a time untill the FCG functions as it should.

That little OOPS, just cost me 30 min.

(I thanked the Lord that I can weld.)

lol

That reminds me...

I installed a double hook trigger in my S12 conversion, everything went very well but I messed up a little with the second slot, I went just a little to far, I forgot that I still had to file out the nice curve, but a little JB weld, file, and sanding before the refinish and you can't even tell. :P

I was too lazy to dig out the rubber mallet to remove the factory forearm on the s12. Thought I was man enough to get it off with the same motion used to pump an aimed shotgun; found out I wasn't. By the time I shifted around and found a muscle group strong enough to pull it loose, my support hand was gripping the barrel up by the thread protector. When the forearm finally broke free, I pulled the front of it right up over almost an inch of the meat on my support hand, pinching that into the hole where the barrel exits the forearm.

Without the use of the pinched hand, I couldn't exert the equal and opposite force needed to slide the forearm back down again, nor pry it open enough to extricate myself. It took quite a while to figure out a way to get that flap of flesh out without cutting it off. Don't mind losing a little skin now and then, but there was quite a bit of meat stuffed in there, too. Thankfully my traumatized baby (who witnessed the whole process), came away from the experience with no more permanent additions to her vocabulary than, "U papa va-va!" (Russian for "Papa got a boo-boo").

Some of my neighbors in the "hood" here were having a party and being a bit loud and obnoxious. The cops have come by before and the neighbors in question have been theatened with gang retaliations (or so the cops have said) before. So I'm thinking, "bunch of gang banging losers hanging out, practically in the street, would make a nice juicy target for anybody planning a drive by". I wanted to make sure I could shoot back just in case something did happen, so I loaded up my S12 and kept it within reach the entire night.

One place I kept it, was leaned up against the side of a low bookshelf next to my computer desk. It's sort of like... a wall/side table in a sense. Anyway, I have it leaned up against the side, stock folded, no additional support other than it's own weight. I'm turned around watching my TV, which is on the opposite wall (behind me). That's when the gun decides to fall. It falls forward, charging handle first, right onto my bare foot. Damn near took my middle toe off. Thank god I didn't have the bolt locked back at the time, or it could have been much worse.

I still have a very visible scar about 10 months later, and I make damn sure that I keep it somewhere where it wont fall and crush my toes from now on.

Oh, doing my conversion on my S-12, I made the mistake of installing the BHO and BHO spring BEFORE testing everything out. I found that my trigger was sticking in the pulled position because I did not file enough off of the left side of the safety tab... DURRRRrrr....

I had to remove the FCG and BHO to sand it down. Really sucked having to put the BHO back together again.

I did, however, learn a trick.

Using a slave pin (steel rod with same diameter as the trigger pin), I pushed the trigger pin out from the safety side. Then I backed the slave pin back until it was JUST inside of the trigger (0.5mm of the hole showing). I then manually reached in and pushed a shorter slave pin that was provided with my FCG (or maybe Shannon provided it, either way, THANKS!). I pushed this in with my finger and then used the actual trigger pin to engage it within the trigger assembly and keep the group from falling apart.

I then withdrew the trigger pin and the trigger group, leaving the longer slave pin in place to keep the damned BHO spring in place. When replacing the trigger group, you reverse the process. You push your longer slave pin through to remove the shorter one, then use the trigger pin to push the longer slave pin back out. You have to be VERY careful when you are approaching the inside of the receiver wall with the trigger pin. You have to apply firm pressure with the slave pin to make sure that the BHO spring does not try to hop in between the two pins.

Even if you miss the hole and strike the inside receiver wall, you are still on the home stretch because the pin is INSIDE the BHO spring loop. Just keep firm pressure against the receiver wall by pushing on the trigger pin from the left side and work the pin into the hole.

Now if you have to remove the safety, you are boned. You can remove the safety without removing the BHO completely, but it has to be pulled slightly towards the center of the receiver to clear the rail and then rotated on the hammer pin until it is pointing upwards and out of the way so that the safety can be swung into position and removed. The problem is that in swinging the BHO up like this, you have to disengage the short end of the BHO spring from the BHO tab. :( Be sure to grab a Snickers and an energy drink, cause your ass ain't goin' anywhere anytime soon.

Edited by zenmetsu

DO NOT gas weld the TG on during your conversion without removing the mag-release spring. You will anneal (soften) the spring. :oops:

I should have known better. I did actually, but after making a messy weld with my flux core welder, in the heat of the moment, I forgot to remove the spring & gas welded it.

Better yet, just drill & rivet.

If you screw up that spiring, or lose it...

Check this thread:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...mp;#entry410033

Caught the skin on the side of my hand between the carrier assembly and receiver of my S308 the first time I was putting her back together after a quick break down. That hurt like hell. It took supreme concentration not to yell and to pull the carrier out of the receiver again (further pinching my hand).

• 3 months later...

Here's a new one...

I decided to take apart my AGP-G2, to sand & silacone...

Forgot to remove the mags spring first. :blush:

Upon removal of the last screw...

Well, have ya ever opened up one of those trick cans with the spring loaded snakes?

snakes2.jpg

Kinda like that, except you get to search for your base plate afterward.

:nothing:

You sound dangerous to be around!! Could possibly write a book even! :)

If young Miss CSM is that to friends, speaking for myself I'd rather have her on my side than the enemy's, I imagine she'd be even more dangerous to them! (Which, with some of the folks I've known and some of the predator problems they've had, is a valuable quality to have IMO...)

Edited by Diamondback

1. Cycling snap caps manually and looking into the breach with a flash light so that the cap popped right into my face.

2. Upgrading my gas puck, which actually meets specs into the non-spec gas tube and causing massive problems. If the gas puck don't freely move, don't shoot.

3. Buying just 1 Saiga with the expectation that I'd be satisfied with just 1.

4. Converting 1 of the Saigas but not the other one.

5. Cleaned it on my deck in Marylandistan.

LOL... I did this one after installing my bullet guide... damn'd cap went tip side up RITE into my bottom lip @ 100mph.. well maybe not a 100 but that extractor is serious and it F_ckin H U R T..

Corbin better get up in here with his Saiga stigmata....

Yeah, my "stigmata" story.......

Was assembling my S-12 and trying to get the hammer and BHO lined up for the front axis pin. I didn't have a spare axis pin at the time to hold it from the right side and have the real one push it out of the way when needed..... but I had a dental pic with the same sized handle, so I stuck that in there instead and had the shotgun laying across my lap with the dental pic sticking straight up in the air. See where this is going? :rolleyes:

Some friends came over and as they were walking in the door, I motioned for them to come over to the table I was at. When I did that, the Saiga started sliding down my lap. I immediately slammed my hand down to grab it. You guessed it. I slammed my hand down on top of the dental pic. :cryss:

It went into my left palm and "tented" the skin up on the other side (kinda between my knuckles). Actually bled a lot more than I thought it should have. Broke the pic off too. Had to get a tetanus shot over that one.

Video of the aftermath

The other stupid thing I did once was post a picture with my serial number clearly showing. I took it down and put up a different pic, but still. :rolleyes:

Corbin

Back in 2002 there was a terrible ice storm and it partially broke a huge tree branch right over the are i my driveway where I parked my 4x4. I moved the cars up around the bend(I had a 400 yard long driveway.It was icy and my ladder wouldn't reach and I really didn't want to walk down the slope of my driveway in the middle of winter waiting for the thaw. I decided to shoot the last remaining section holding this 11 foot branch dangling and started loading up mags with some 00 Buck and some Turkey loads and started blasting away.It was working just fine and then I felt a round that felt sharper than the rest and thought(was that a slug?) and then didn't think another thing about it.It took way more rounds than I thought but it was kind of fun and a real workout for my Saiga.When the branch finally came down I walked up the hill to get my truck to drag the branch away and much to my dismay the slug had come down right through the windshield and busted a nice big hole in it and cracked the plastic panel on my console.

Moral of this story "what goes up, must come down"

No I didn't tell my wife how the windshield got busted,LOL

Edited by SOPMOD