Doing the unthinkable? Dump DSA FAL for Saiga 308?

Due to some budget constraints, I was thinking about dumping the SA58 I have (heavy SOB) in favor of a Saiga 308 deal with someone local. For the price of what I can sell my FAL at, I can get the Saiga, 2 25rd mags, side scope rail and two scopes (one for my 7.62) -- plus about $300 in pocket change for ammo and another mag or two. Does this sound like a plan? I use iron sights on my FAL now and would hate to have to drop another $200 for a mount + scope on top of the $900 I paid to get her.

I own 3 different FAL's & a Saiga .308. While they are all great rifles the FAL is in a different class. That's like trading a new Vette for a new Camaro & $5000. Totally different animal. If you really want a Saiga .308 just buy one when you can afford it, but keep that DSA. Saiga's can be found at every gunshow, while DSA's have a huge waiting list. GARY N4KVE

KEEP THE FAL, i have 2 and wouldn't part with them. They ROCK and they hold their value like a harley does. Saiga's are nice but they don't hold a candle to an FAL. nuff said

++++1 The difference in the design and detail is like night and day. I got an StG58 and she runs like a dream..... :super:

There are always trade offs, if you expect a FAL to have the same reliability and resistance to environment as the Saiga you will be disappointed. Mud and dirt WILL cause a FAL to fail but not nearly like an AR. It is accurate no doubt but it will be a tad more ammo picky than the Saiga and much less than an AR. You always have trade offs. It is a very good MBR but it is also over priced and always will be due to a lack of availability and cost of manufacture if nothing else. AKs are not pretty unless you see beauty in the things it does well.

Not to hijack the thread but...The Saiga factory is closing? Anybody have any details on that?

That would definitly be a hijack...

I've been there myself, but theres 3 posts for that. Please use one of those.

sorry guys, I thought this was breaking news, I paniced. I love my s308 and was thinking of getting a s223. Now I really have to make up my mind soon.

Boston T.Party has an excellent breakdown of the FAL and hundreds of other weapons in "The Gun Bible" if you don't have this book by all means get it! He even likes the S308 much to his own surprise.

looks like a new edition of BGB came out under my nose...best gun book EVER.

DSAs are are made in Barrington IL where federal blood was spilled by a lone wolf Patriot (at least to a Belgian American crime buff)DSAs are reputedly better than Belgian FN real ones

Don't dump it just add to the hoard

"Mud and dirt WILL cause a FAL to fail but not nearly like an AR."

Thats not a very accurate statement. There are plenty of AR's now that are very reliable. HK 416 and LWRC (piston driven) to name a couple.

As for the question definately keep the DSA

Edited by raidersfan_5544

Keep the FAL... in the long run, it doesn't matter what the cost is so long as you enjoy the rifle... that's how I am about Sigs, specifically the 556. I know it's heavier and less customizable than an AR-15 or an Ak, but there's just something about the rifle that's special. I LOVE FAL's... hell if you want to trade it for a cheaper gun, I'll trade you Sig 556 for it... tho it's prolly a straight trade now that I think on it...

"Mud and dirt WILL cause a FAL to fail but not nearly like an AR."

Thats not a very accurate statement. There are plenty of AR's now that are very reliable. HK 416 and LWRC (piston driven) to name a couple.

As for the question definately keep the DSA

Not accurate? Which part the AK or the FAL? The FAL already has a better rep than the AR and I am aware of no testing that ever proved otherwise.

From the eval of the HK;

"In July 2007, the US Army announced a limited competition between the M4 carbine, FN SCAR, HK416, and the previously-shelved HK XM8. Ten examples of each of the four competitors were involved. Each weapon was fired for 60,000 rounds in an "extreme dust environment." The purpose of the shootoff was for assessing future needs, not to select a replacement for the M4.[3][4] The XM8 scored the best, with only 127 stoppages in 60,000 total rounds, the FN SCAR Light had 226 stoppages, while the HK416 had 233 stoppages. The M4 carbine scored "significantly worse" than the rest of the field with 882 stoppages." But of course the Army just stated they retained faith in the M4, wow.

Of course the HK is an improvement but its not what is being issued generally nor is it going to outperform the AK design on reliability issues and its doubtful to beat out the FAL but I have found no side by side comparisons only impressions from users on HKvsFAL. There are test like these is all I can find. DSA FAL test. Not bad at all but then it is a $2k rifle.

Not to hijack but for fifty years this remains an issue. Weapon failures

I read that story at the Kansas City Star. Our military would be wise to develop an AK rifle, built on the Kalashnikov action, but chambered for the 6.8 Remington SP, which hits at longer ranges, with better accuracy and better terminal ballistics than the 7.62 x 39. And the 6.8mm SP is a big improvement in the "thump" of the 5.56 x 45 NATO.

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.8_mm_Remington_SPC

I read that story at the Kansas City Star. Our military would be wise to develop an AK rifle, built on the Kalashnikov action, but chambered for the 6.8 Remington SP, which hits at longer ranges, with better accuracy and better terminal ballistics than the 7.62 x 39. And the 6.8mm SP is a big improvement in the "thump" of the 5.56 x 45 NATO.

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.8_mm_Remington_SPC

I think they would be much better off with a rifleman's rifle, designed around a more effective round than .223, taking ideas from other rifles in the past. I think an AK design would be a huge fail. The sights suck, the ergos aren't perfect, they aren't overwhelmingly accurate, etc.

American troops need a gun that is effective on target, has tame recoil, has magnificent sights, and is ridiculously accurate. Our troops are all riflemen, they don't need AK's. I say go with a strong as hell rotating bolt, 2 or 3 lugs, like an AK. Go with a short-stroke gas piston, like an FAL. Go with a round like 6.8SPC for sure. No more .22 caliber, but I'd say go with .30 caliber if I had a choice. Design a higher-pressure 7.62x39 (more energy without the recoil thump) with a longer case (for accuracy). 7.62x45? Sounds awesome. Have American peep sights on it, like every American rifle since the 1903A3. Free float that barrel, have a pistol grip, all the stuff a nice modified AR-15 would have. And finally, make parts out of polymer coated steel. I think putting all that together would give you an amazing rifle. I'd think about bullpupping it too, but I couldn't say for sure.

I think what they are talking about is a piston operated gas system with a longish throw in either 223 or 7.62 NATO. Kills me when people mention blade sights, like any one would use those. But the gas system on the AK is clean and reliable while not affecting accuracy too much, at least on the Saiga. You do realize they dont even use the sling to steady the shot any longer because it causes the M4 barrel to flex. I cant imagine using a rifle that wont take a Hasty sling, only Uncle.