Paging Bob Ash and Other SBS Gurus

Thinking about taking the plunge into the wonderful Form 1 world and either SBS my current 12 or pick up another. What's the general consensus on the preferred length: 12 or 8 inches (talking about the barrel not body parts)? In addition to being a fun range toy, it still needs to be reliable for HD purposes.

[quote

I assume you've read the sticky in the S-12 section.

Come on Bob, this is the Saiga 12 Forums.....stickies are just for decoration, no?:lolol:

In all seriousness I did glance through them and was just curious as I remember hearing about the blow back on the 8 inch guns being an issue for some.

I am going with the 12in barrel. IMO it gives you the right compactness and still have good shot pattern with a choke. I also like the fact you can use standard galil size handguard instead of the super short handguard(without a gap). The 8in with the short handguard and 10 round mag doesn't look right to me. I have heard the 8in can throw quite a fire ball out the end of the barrel too.

In all seriousness I did glance through them and was just curious as I remember hearing about the blow back on the 8 inch guns being an issue for some.

....blowback is not really an issue, as it is manageable with a simple change from brake to hider............. Took care of mine !!

Edited by Jeaux E

....blowback is not really an issue, as it is manageable with a simple change from brake to hider............. Took care of mine !!

the first few times you shoot an 8 inch with a brake the heat on your hand feels a little odd, but you don't notice it after you shoot awhile.

my three cents.... as a former Marine/having all sorts of crazy stuff since the 60's.I like the eight, so darn much I ordered two of them. and also have a 19 standard saiga, that I'm having converted to folder and grip.with front site and hider.so the best of both world's, for myself.

the shorty really gets the look's. one buddy thought it was a Micro Galil shotgun at first.

with a saiga some like it short. just like a Dragunov sniper like them long.{ however the russkie's.} did go to shorter

barrel on the "Para " model.I know i tried to import one for year's..it looked right!

so if you can have or get both. one long and short. then there is no decision to worry about.

if 8 doe's not do it for you go with 12.{ the choice is your's} now i'm sounding like Klatu from day the earth stood still 1951 version/

remember this is coming from a guy who fired a barrett 50 cal from the hip.{ and said i will stick with the Saiga,}

i want to be able to shoot run and move. and not be a lumbering slow target once they get the range right.

Semper-Fi. Ron K.

The 10" barrel really looks great with that factory handguard. To me that's the main selection criteria; overall aesthetics.

Well I gotta admit, I for one love the blast and the noise and the fireball. 027.gif Its all part of the fun of having an 8" shotgun. 011.gif

I don't run a brake, so I don't really notice any blast. I know it's louder and kicks harder than a full length, but it seems normal to me.

Good choice, Gerry. You really can't go wrong with either length and will probably find yourself wanting one of each (trust me it'll happen ;)) but the 8" makes a phenomenal firearm. This much firepower in a nearly concealable package makes a truly unique and incomparable weapon.

TROMIX 8" S-17

TromixS17withHellion_2.jpg

TromixS17withHellion_VFG_1.jpg

TromixS17withHellion_VFG_2.jpg

KHEL_5w.jpg

This question seems to come up alot. What size barrel? It would be a good idea for some of the conversion guys ie. tromix, red jacket etc...to post pics on their web site of guns with each barrel length(8in 10in 12in)so the public could get an idea of how each looks side by side. On the tromix site unless you read the fine print under the S17 you wouldn't even know they made lengths other than 8in for sbs. Posting pics of the other barrel lengths might create more interest and revenue since the 10 and 12 cost more. Just a thought.

P.S. Kross that tri rail hand guard looks amazing on the shortty

Edited by bigsky59721

as somebody mentioned here all sizes to float your boat. or trip your trigger.but guys you have to admit the "Shorties" look good.a few phx sar show's back i had another side by side 12 gauge. 8 inch barrel's with pistol grip in a violin case.

the gun got more looks then any ten tables near me. and i was in the m.g.section. not the beany baby rabbit foot. beef jerky isle.

I had three buyers for it. and sold it that first few hour's.it was all about the look's. and massive twin barrel's.

I have another just like it now that is over 25 year's old.blued and walnut wood.and i'm sure if i took it to this december's show.it would sell just as fast in a cardboard box.

most gun guy's deal in emotion with this stuff.and if it looks right. or sounds right.and the next 500 table's don't have one. > you know the routine.<

just lay a few p90 full auto's on a table and watch people come by.or a original russian drag bringback from the Congo.1971 date.

[one of my biggest selling regret's}

well have fun with the shortie's.as i mentioned "Over the Top" :super:

maybe "TOP OF THE WORLD MA!" like Cagney in White Heat>some younger readers may have to google that one. :unsure:

Regards Ron K.

Edited by Ron K.

Good choice, Gerry. You really can't go wrong with either length and will probably find yourself wanting one of each (trust me it'll happen ;)) but the 8" makes a phenomenal firearm. This much firepower in a nearly concealable package makes a truly unique and incomparable weapon.

TROMIX 8" S-17

TromixS17withHellion_2.jpg

TromixS17withHellion_VFG_1.jpg

TromixS17withHellion_VFG_2.jpg

KHEL_5w.jpg

you had to do that a "SHORTY" on brown leather. oooooh Ron K. :super:

Your SBS's sure to look neat, guys. Wish I could swing the cash for one now :cryss:

Just for curiosities sake, has anyone chrono'd their SBS'd Saiga? I would be interested to know what velocities your getting from an 8, 10 and 12 inch barrels with slugs, buckshot and birdshot.