what do yoi do with your saiga 12?

I mean your not dove hunting with them, right?

How would the shorter version do with some heavy shot for plinking, and shooting jack rabbits and coyotes in the open desert

I see coyotes usually 75 to 100 yards out

Too far for the saiga 12?

I seen the pictures, you guys have some nice weapons!

Thanks

Sorry for the mispelled title, I'm typing on my phone... Big thumbs... Little buttons :D

Edited by Bucky G

I don't hunt. For me its all about making that guy who comes over the top of my fence or through my door regret the day the sperm ever met the egg. That and raising a lot of eyebrows at the range. There is also just the fun in just "messin'" with them, adding this, changing that, and whispering sweet nothings into the chamber.rolleyes.gif

I have gotten as good as a 5" group @ 100 yards at the range but in a real life hunting situation 75 yards with a slug is a reliable shot to take. I think it can certainly do the job @ 100 yds.but after that the drop off is pretty steep from my experience. I hunt whatever I can with mine from Grouse to Deer. In this area I could even use it for Elk I suppose.

I got mine specifically for 3-gun. It's almost like cheating. I hear a lot of guys whimpering about needing to do slug transitions during stages just to mess up mag fed shotgun shooters. I can't wait for that, because those that complain have no idea how easy it is to transition mags.

I really feel comfortable behind the S-12, but even still, I use a tricked out 11-87 for everything else.

Well....there are times when they just sit in the safe and scare the hell out of my other AKs.

Then there are times when they come out to play, and see how many cool ways we can find to blow the shit out of however many different things we can turn into targets.

I have done some occasional hunting for tasty animals with them. If it runs, flies, swims, charges, or breathes, the Saiga-12 can take it down! (notice I didn't say "slithers"...:rolleyes:)

Then sometimes they get recruited to test out new and different products, and provide data for MFGs, or info for members of this forum.

Sometimes they call out to me with new ideas, upgrades, parts, and services that people will just have to have once they see them in action.

Once in awhile they serve as great entertainment for guests, that come out to my place in search of some good times, loud noise, and uncontrollable laughter.

Destruction of the occasional rabid animal or other pest, is always an easy task with them.

If something goes bump in the night...you can always bump back!:devil:

I get particularly great entertainment by taking them to misc. places where people gather and shoot and/or look at guns, like shooting ranges and gun shows. It never grows old hearing that familiar ol' ":eek: What the HELL is that!???:eek:" I always keep a stack of cards on hand to pass out to truly interested people, directing them to this site and offering personal advice and help, if they want to get one for themselves and get it restored to it's originally intended glory.

Then of course I never get tired of imagining new ways to custom build different parts and designs of this awesome weapon! Best shotgun on the planet baby!:smoke:

Ummm...I gotta admit, I do also enjoy dressing em up in different outfits and taking purdy pitchers of em...lol!:angel:

post-1293-12563433400957_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12563429113951_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12563468300652_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12563446928644_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12563445762182_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12563468602641_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12563442585118_thumb.jpg

I use mine to put a huge shit-eatin' grin on my face whenever I'm feeling a little down.

After ya fire off the first couple boxes of ammo at your first trip to the range, you'll know.:killer:

:wub: :wub: :wub:

And of course!!! What he ^ said! :super:

only put slugs through mine once at a friends 50 yard range vs a fridge.. it didn't stop for the fridge... at all.. put some huge fricken holes through it.. can't speak for grouping because I honestly was just screwing around for kicks and didn't measure or anything, but they went where I aimed them pretty reliably, can't give you MOA's or anything, but after unloading a clip of 10 as fast as I could, there were 10 closely grouped/overlapping massive holes in one side and out the other.. Was a bit suprised because I was more messing around for recoil and noise with my friends then concentrating on aiming it, sorta one of those "hey yall watch this" moments.. I think I could take out any animal you listed at 100 yards without much problem in accuracy.. but my local range doesn't allow slugs so I havn't manage to run a real test..

Edited by volkov

Shooting milk jugs with water in them???? What am I missing??? I did that a few time with slugs and they just vanished. Wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be cause I couldn't shoot them again. Now I'm looking for bowling pins those should work for me. But WTF am I talking about...getting out and shooting anything is fun with the s12 and like someone else said...and it is so true...it just puts a shit eating grin all over your face to shoot the thing. (compare notes)

O.K. here's what ya do, you fill the milk jugs with water, just not all the way, then freeze the buggers! Shoot those with a slug, but bring yer camera! They are real fun to shoot! Easy to make in the winter. Make sure you stand back!!

One of my favorite activities with mine, is to slide unnoticed over to the shotgun range, which is adjacent to the 100yrd combined rifle/pistol, and empty my MD20 in -10 seconds.

I then enjoy all the folks stretching their necks and wondering "WTF is that dude shooting?!", which often leads to a few people wanting to try it out.

Even more enjoyable is their infectious smiles after dumping a mag or two.

I also shoot clays, 4"x4"x3' wood blocks at various yardages, blow away milk jugs, decimate paper targets and practice slugs for acquiring some fresh Bambi burgers.

And of course... Home/property defense.

100_6625.jpg

Edited by ChileRelleno

thanks for the replies!

you guys got some great stuff

I got a couple thousand 12 gauge shells in the garage, everything from bird shot to double ought to slugs, and I aint had a shotgun around here in over ten years

maybe it's time :)

thanks!

I mean your not dove hunting with them, right?

How would the shorter version do with some heavy shot for plinking, and shooting jack rabbits and coyotes in the open desert

I see coyotes usually 75 to 100 yards out

Too far for the saiga 12?

I seen the pictures, you guys have some nice weapons!

Thanks

Sorry for the mispelled title, I'm typing on my phone... Big thumbs... Little buttons :D

Get a 24" barrel, choke it and go get those doves.

The 19" is fucking fantastic for "...heavy shot for plinking, and shooting jack rabbits and coyotes in the open desert....".

75-100yrds? I could easily puts slugs into a coyote at those ranges, if he'll stand still for a few seconds, and a 12g slug is pure murder on a hapless Wiley E. Coyote :devil:

I know a lot of people like to go coyote shooting, but I just can't understand that. They are WAY to intelligent of an animal to just kill for sport, (When there is NO sport involved) (IMHO). If you want to try and track one and outsmart it, you will be most likely spanked bad. And it reminds me too much of shooting a dog. What good is it to waste an animal just for shits and giggles if you aren't going to eat it? The deer population is far overgrown, and you would be better off just shooting the deer and letting them lay there for the coyotes to have something to eat. I would rather hit a deer with the train I'm on than have someone wreck their car on the highway because of them. (Myself included on my way home from work) Plus, thinning the herd might actually decrease the CWD. Again, Just MHO. I just use my S-12 for stress relief and target, the stationary kind, practice. There is no better feeling than just shooting a gun that you have customized for your own enjoyment! If done properly, with a couple of the 20 round drums from MD Arms, and if you have it highly customized enough, the S-12 is an excellent platform to throw away a WHOLE bunch of money that you could have spent more intelligently, but you won't have/find/enjoy a better way to do it.

• Like 3

Coyote shooting around here isn't for sport at all. They're intelligent animals, that's for sure. They also like to eat pets and young livestock. Here in Alabama there's no closed season and no bag limit, because there are more than plenty of coyotes.

I'd rather shoot a coyote than let a coyote eat a domestic dog, and I don't travel way out into the desert or anything to shoot coyotes. It's up close and personal where the yotes are an immediate threat. Hence, shotgun.

• Like 1

dammit Bucky - now why didnt you say that before????

shoot me an email CGWsales@gmail.com

I got a 24" with CA compliance for you here. should be damn near perfect for your needs......

You will know when you get the gun, why you have waited to get another shotgun after ten years....that much I can promise you!!!

What do I do with my S-12? I fuck shit up!! :D

I don't normally hunt, but I enjoy regularly dusting clays and other (sometimes "creative"), target shooting with my S-12.

She's the most fun-to-shoot firearm I own, bar none. :smoke:

God help whoever tries to invade my home. He's gonna have a whole lotta lead flyin his way :killer:

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Coyote shooting around here isn't for sport at all. They're intelligent animals, that's for sure. They also like to eat pets and young livestock. Here in Alabama there's no closed season and no bag limit, because there are more than plenty of coyotes.

I'd rather shoot a coyote than let a coyote eat a domestic dog, and I don't travel way out into the desert or anything to shoot coyotes. It's up close and personal where the yotes are an immediate threat. Hence, shotgun.

yup I've had em steal my pups and they tore up a yearling world class fox trotter so bad I had to put her down

they are smart to be sure, I slow stalk em out in the desert, they usually see me first... but on occasion BOOM :D

• Like 1

dammit Bucky - now why didnt you say that before????

shoot me an email CGWsales@gmail.com

I got a 24" with CA compliance for you here. should be damn near perfect for your needs......

You will know when you get the gun, why you have waited to get another shotgun after ten years....that much I can promise you!!!

hey thanks!

do I want a 20 or a 24?

I like the look of the twenty much better, but if the 24 is what I need then I choose function over form

Longer barrels are really just for wingshooting, where it gives you more mass for a smoother swing and a longer sight radius. I've got a 28" pump for clay shooting and such. It points effortlessly, but the barrel does get in the way for home defense or moving in dense brush.

Rifled hunting shotgun barrels are usually around 20", and home defense cylinder bore barrels are generally 18"-20" You'll be fine with a 19" IZ-109 as long as it's legal in CA. Longer barrels won't give you any appreciable velocity boost.

Good luck with your CA Saiga! It can be done! :)

thats really up to you bucky.....you get a very slight ballistics improvement on the 24", but the 19" is fine as well. at that range, you will be shooting rifled slugs at coyotes, anyhow.

got one set up in 19"?

hey do you guys do the pistol grips or is that on me?

I was just out with the horses beaking one of the young ones and a big bobcat came out of nowhere and spooked em all to no end

first time I see one in broad daylight, especially with me there and all the commotion going on

that cat's mine when that saiga comes in :D