Why saiga in .223

I like the flatter trajectory and extended reach over the 7.62x39 round

I like the higher quality, variety, and I'm more confident in the .223/5.56 availabilty in the US.

I haven't had any jamming issues related to the round and I'm confident in the AK/5.56mm matchup due to the long history of Valmets and Galils.

I am satisfied with the magazine options for Saiga .223.

I see so much wasted brass at the range from AR shooters that I might as well start reloading it.

I feel SS109 will take out the Zombie wearing a helmet as good as if not better than 7.62x39.

I love the 7.62x39 round, but in the US it is actually the oddball. If the prez were to decide one day to ban Russian ammo imports--it would kill the affordability of shooting 7.62x39.

Edited by dobravery

Wellll....I haven't seen any really tight groups from my .223 Saiga yet, but there's always hope with the variety of ammo and bullets that are around.

Three things I like about the 223:

1) Very little recoil, so it's a bit easier to hold on target for multiple shots.

2) The used brass is reloadable. My x39's do such a number on brass case necks that they split on first or second firing. The ring that the 223 impresses around the primer appears to have no effect on reloadability.

3) Steel case Wolf 223 is Boxer primed and is reloadable. x39 Wolf, being Berdan primed, is not.

I do think the x39 is the better man/zombie stopper, however.

Best solution is to get one of each.

The South Africans I talked to held high regard for the R4 avtomat in 5.56x45. It was effective in the bush. One Colonel I spent time with would visit the government morgue where hundreds of terrorists bodies were brought said the ones he saw had heavy damage from the rifle wounds.

The old Rhodesian soldiers had more confidence in heavy game calibers and had a different opinion.

I have the .223 Saiga due to the variety of available loads and how they sell them everywhere. I also think the neck bulge the Russians put in the 7.62X39 can't help the accuracy. That's my 2 cents!

One thing about S Africa, everyone you meet fought in the war. On one side or another!

Have a cold one!

Come to think about it the Israelis also had no problem with this cartridge. As a matter of fact all the top millitary groups in the world currently use this caliber.

post-11604-12569455010508_thumb.jpg

I bought mine simply because of the feel of the rifle and the ammo. Walking about the NoVA gun show, I counted a dozen vendors selling 1000 rounds of 223 at $250 or less, and that helped sell me on the rifle. The fact that I can also match it up with an AR-15, which I was in the process of building anyway, sold me quicker on it. Looking at it now, I admit I bought the Honda Civic of rifles, but I have no problems with that at all. I can buy parts easily, can change the look without any real issues, and working on the rifle couldn't be easier.

As others have stated, long term availibility of ammo. And in my oppinion it is pretty ignorant not to have a .223/5.56 weapon in your armory for SHTF scenarios seeing as it's the same round that our military and LEO uses.

And before every one jumps my shit about how you won't get any resupply from our military or LEO, there are alot more possible scenarios than a govt colapse or tryanny on the table atleast in my mind. Think WWIII/red dawn, you want to or need to join up with your National Guard or LEO to protect your community or want to lend a hand to expel invaders/tyrants, I want the reliability of an AK and I will expect a supply of ammo from the govt. It is a fact that in troubled times normal citizens have needed to step up and assist in an emergency.

Plus it's a pretty bad ass little round, defenately my first choice for urban defensive. Due to it's tendancy not to penetrate objects and kill/injury inocents, accurate, flat shooting, and good terminal effects.

Honestly, the reason I picked mine up is because the local gun shop I picked it up had the .223 or the .308. I didn't want to throw the extra money down on a .308 so I went with the .223. I'll probably pick up a 7.62 eventually, but I'm happy with the .223 I've got.

• 2 weeks later...

As others have stated, long term availibility of ammo. And in my oppinion it is pretty ignorant not to have a .223/5.56 weapon in your armory for SHTF scenarios seeing as it's the same round that our military and LEO uses.

And before every one jumps my shit about how you won't get any resupply from our military or LEO, there are alot more possible scenarios than a govt colapse or tryanny on the table atleast in my mind. Think WWIII/red dawn, you want to or need to join up with your National Guard or LEO to protect your community or want to lend a hand to expel invaders/tyrants, I want the reliability of an AK and I will expect a supply of ammo from the govt. It is a fact that in troubled times normal citizens have needed to step up and assist in an emergency.

Plus it's a pretty bad ass little round, defenately my first choice for urban defensive. Due to it's tendancy not to penetrate objects and kill/injury inocents, accurate, flat shooting, and good terminal effects.

Ta Daaahhh..!!! :up:

Simply, there is always room for another Saiga! And one in 5.56mm/.223 is the near-perfect addition! One common manual-of-arms! A super-robust platform. The 5.56mm/.223 round offers several significant advantages over the 7.62X39 - overall accuracy & range being the two main ones. Have one of each, outfitted similarly, offers you choices you might otherwise lack, with the same basic feel.

I mean - What's not to love???

Old SF MJT

Edited by Old SF MJT

" If the prez were to decide one day to ban Russian ammo imports--it would kill the affordability of shooting 7.62x39."

Actually I see that Winchester is now making a x39 round. I'm sure if it's popularity stays up, others may follow.

" If the prez were to decide one day to ban Russian ammo imports--it would kill the affordability of shooting 7.62x39."

Actually I see that Winchester is now making a x39 round. I'm sure if it's popularity stays up, others may follow.

Or he could just ban all fire arms and start a war.

Like everything else he is pulling its only temporary and given the market North American makers would respond. Nothing to prevent ammo form going though Mexico to here and of course there is always reloading and stores. Most likely pistols are going to get the first dose and right now there just isnt any real support for any foolishness ...yet. Right now they dont want to feed the firestorm 2010 is turning into any more fuel.

I purchased my saiga .223 for my kids to use. I originally wanted to get them a Ruger 10-22. Where I live, 22lr is a hard round to come by yet .223 is everywhere. I figured I could use the .223 also for coyote and bobcat and kind of get 2 uses out of one rifle. Awesome rifle, I am amazed with it everytime we take it out. My daughter has "taken" possesion of the .223 so I ordered a 7.62x39 saiga for myself.