How to mod bolt hold open lever

This is probably a stupid reply, but why go to the trouble if you can just bend the BHO up and out of the way when assembling? I know it's a convenience thing, but it seems like more work than necessary to mod the BHO.

If you're intent on modding it, however, just push the BHO up and mark the area on the BHO exposed by the safety hole. This is the area to be removed. Just go at it with a Dremel and call it a day.

I guess either way works. Sam you are right just it is more convenient than trying to get the spring leg back on its catch. Five minutes with a round and flat file fixed it up just dandy.

It does make it much easier to slide your safety in and out without taking you FCG apart. Makes using the Krebs shotgun retaining plate very easy to install. We sell the retaining plates now for $7.95. Shipping is $3.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-270/Saiga-Axis-Pin-Retaining/Detail?sfs=a4b7706a

post-9063-12590848183292_thumb.jpg

I guess either way works. Sam you are right just it is more convenient than trying to get the spring leg back on its catch. Five minutes with a round and flat file fixed it up just dandy.

It does make it much easier to slide your safety in and out without taking you FCG apart. Makes using the Krebs shotgun retaining plate very easy to install. We sell the retaining plates now for $7.95. Shipping is $3.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-270/Saiga-Axis-Pin-Retaining/Detail?sfs=a4b7706a

Greg got two of them coming from you right now. Good guy to deal with.

• 2 years later...

So you remove some metal towards the top of the lever to let te safety move around. Do you need to flatten the bend on the lever that the spring sits when it's in the stock position?

Yes. No.

Two (2) year dead thread is zombified... Better than starting a new thread I guess.

Or there's the alternate: IIRC Krebs's approach was to notch the safety instead.

Not a lot of meat on the safety rod. I would be afraid of weakening it and end up with a malfunction. I'd rather fubar the BHO.

TRUST me, it MORE than does the job...

You do realize that you're replying to postings two (2) years old?

I doubt those two have much interest in it any longer.

post-22401-0-01064700-1326648495.jpg

This ^^

In the gun.

006-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

post-22401-0-01064700-1326648495.jpg

This ^^

In the gun.

006-1.jpg

Hmm, just looking at the BHO spring. I always bend mine so the end of the spring is pointing at the trigger, where yours is straight out the back and bent down. Just an obversation i guess. Ever have any problems with it coming off?

This might sound dumb but I just converted mine and used the original bho and spring with out modification to the bho or safety. Everything is working fine. Is there an added benefit to this mod or was it an issue with older saigas? I'm just curious. Thanks.

how far back is necroing, if i post in this from a month ago? who cares, if the qestion is already there, blah bla blah!!!!

I have found that you can't win sometimes. If you post in an old thread you catch hell, if you start a new thread you didn't search good enough. It's not that serious, just do what you feel is best.
  • Like 1

I notched the lever on one of my rifles and the S-12...I figured the replacement saftey levers aren't expensive, so, lets see how long it lasts! Going on over a year on the rifle...still holding. I have let it sit for hours with no signs of structural stress whatsoever, they make these parts out of surplus tank steel, me thinks!! Don't EVEN get me started on drilling out a recycled trigger guard..even after annealing it!! Wore out two new cobalt bits and a good center punch doing that...next conversion,(cuzzes .410) will be a NEW trigger guard, ain't worth the time!!

Edited by unclejake
  • Like 1

I notched the lever on one of my rifles and the S-12...I figured the replacement saftey levers aren't expensive, so, lets see how long it lasts! Going on over a year on the rifle...still holding. I have let it sit for hours with no signs of structural stress whatsoever, they make these parts out of surplus tank steel, me thinks!! Don't EVEN get me started on drilling out a recycled trigger guard..even after annealing it!! Wore out two new cobalt bits and a good center punch doing that...next conversion,(cuzzes .410) will be a NEW trigger guard, ain't worth the time!!

Mine has been locked open for over a month now, every now and then I'll shoot it or drop the safety with my trigger finger and do a function check, but as soon as I'm done, she's locked back open again...