Cobra's Shorty Rail

I finally had the good fortune of one of our members dropping by....well I say "dropping by"....actually he drove all the way up here to NC from Florida last Sunday (round trip), with his Tromix S-17, and we proceeded to install my new Cobra Rail for shorties on there. He's one happy camper now :smoke: I'm pretty happy with it too.

Damn I gotta get myself one of those babies!:super:

Before:

post-1293-12634391452679_thumb.jpg

After:

post-1293-12634391781302_thumb.jpg

With Optic:

post-1293-12634392059727_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I finally had the good fortune of one of our members dropping by....well I say "dropping by"....actually he drove all the way up here to NC from Florida last Sunday (round trip), with his Tromix S-17, and we proceeded to install my new Cobra Rail for shorties on there. He's one happy camper now :smoke: I'm pretty happy with it too.

Before:

After:

With Optic:

Sweet! Did you get to range test it?

As you can see from Slug-O's pics, I modified the front sight to give a much better sight picture. I like it much better that way.

post-1293-12634422611992_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12634422837004_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12634424181126_thumb.jpg

post-1293-12634424400005_thumb.jpg

Nice. I like the sights after you used the separating disk to cut away the top. Very tacticool!

WS

Yeah it was a teeth gritting moment when first hacking into a perfectly good Tromix but it was part of the plan. There's a button cap machine screw running through where the roll pin was, and threading into the rail, for a rock solid mount...and another threaded down through the rear into the sight in the dovetail.

Was it necessary to cut the front sight in order to use the optic? I really like the rail but I dunno if I'm ready to chop my front sight. I guess it'd be hard to find a red dot that sits any lower than that.

I'm assuming it is which is part of the reason I asked my question.

Its a Surefire Magwell on my baby... The rail weights almost mothing and like Shannon said its secured in 2 places and is not going to move. Also the rail is as low as its going to go and the sight only sticks up about 1/2 above the front sight. When I looked through the sight I felt that the HK sight was alittle too much in my way for a clear sight so I wanted it chopped down alittle. That was the ticked if you say... Now the Trijicon RMR sight is clear to see through and I like the HK sight the way it is now....

Slug-O

Well hello Guido! Long time no see! Good to see ya. Yes I'm getting ready to start selling a kit that can be installed by anyone who can do a little simple work with metal. If you can do a Saiga conversion you can do this blindfolded. Even those who chose to buy their guns converted...like most people who have an SBS actually, can install this easily. I've been talking with Tony about this, and he told me he leaves the dovetail intact on all his HK sight conversions these days, so most people should have one to be used for mounting my rail. In the front it's attached by a simple screw running through the HK sight and screwed into the rail with locktite. All the customer needs to do is tap out the roll pin that holds the front sight pin in place, and replace that with the supplied screw, after enlarging the hole just slightly. The rear is attached to a part that I supply that you drive into your existing dovetail from the original rear sight. It's threaded for the supplied screw. I'm currently working out the only issue, which is dealing with the fact that most all S-12s, even ones that go through reputable companies and expert gunsmiths like Tromix and Red Jacket, may have small variances in lengths and such. To account for that I can make these to order. The customer just needs to give me an exact measurement from the back of their front sight, to the front and back edges of the dovetail. I can cut the rail to the length it needs to be for their weapon. All they need to do then is drive the rear support into the groove, attach the rail at the front, and drill the hole down through it for the rear screw (to line up with the existing threaded hole). That will assure it is custom fitted to their weapon and fits perfectly.

It's either that or go ahead and have the rear ready, and have shims available to put at the front end of the rail, and the customer can file off a tad if it's a hair too long. I don't really like the second option. Anyone should be able to drill a hole in a piece of aluminum, and even adjust the hole if need be, to line up with an existing hole.

On the production models there will more than likely be a slightly thicker rail used. This will give the user a tad more height above the HK front sight so they won't have to cut it like we did here.

Before:

After:

With Optic:

I gave you a +1 on your reputation because you are a genious.

On the production models there will more than likely be a slightly thicker rail used. This will give the user a tad more height above the HK front sight so they won't have to cut it like we did here.

Thats what I wanted to hear! Sounds good Cobra, You da man!

Thats what I wanted to hear! Sounds good Cobra, You da man!

Eric here are both sizes next to each other.

post-1293-12635717360603_thumb.jpg

The thicker one on top has about 1/4" more material added to the bottom. If you look at Slug-O's picture with the dot turned on, that should place the dot about 1/4" over the top of the ring on the HK sight...at least with that type of sight. His sits very low so that should be enough.

This is the same rail in the full length version I did on my S-12. I made this one to replace the adjustable rib sight.

post-1293-12635725976164_thumb.jpg