opinions on ccw handguns

I'm looking for a different cow handgun. I have the CZ75 compact and I'm not really happy with it. So I'm looking to trade it for something else. I now that Glocks and XD are both good pistols but there is so much more out there. Just want to have as much choice as possible before making a purchase.

My criteria...

9mm - .45

Compact. Sub-compact are to small Full size is harder to cc especially in summer.

Light. The less weight the better within its caliber class.

Fully AMBIDEXTRIOUS is a huge plus but at the very least left side mag release.

DA only (glock type). I like the consistency but one with a good DA/SA is good too.

Price within the $400-600 +/-

I've been looking at the FN, PX4 and many others but most "try it before u buy it" stores around here only have a few popular guns in many calibers

EAA Zastava makes a 9 and 40 cal model both looking ALOT like a Sig.. Like $380-450.

Some pics I saw I thought looked Ambi.. Not sure..

I have a Taurus PT-140 Pro Millenium (10 rnds of .40) DA only though but I like it (was free thanks to ex-gfriend who gave me the money for it but hates firearms 021.gif ).. About Glock size.. Saw a Glock 30 (45 acp) up in Warminster for $450 that looked NIB-Excellent..

I have a few guns in my carry circle...

Check out the keltec PF9, and P3AT.

I wear my PF9 IWB and even when I pull my shirt tight you can't tell its there.

I also made a holster for my P32 (same thing as P3AT, but the P3AT is .380, and the p32 is .32acp) with work carry in mind, it works really well.

I also carry a G19, and that's a great gun, shoots well and carries well.

I like to have the whole line of carry guns so I never have an excuse to leave it at home, so no matter what I'm wearing I can carry. :super:

And the P32 is fun, I have a clip for it, and I refer to it as my underpants gun to my wife. :zorro:

I'm looking for a different cow handgun. I have the CZ75 compact and I'm not really happy with it. So I'm looking to trade it for something else. I now that Glocks and XD are both good pistols but there is so much more out there. Just want to have as much choice as possible before making a purchase.

My criteria...

9mm - .45

Compact. Sub-compact are to small Full size is harder to cc especially in summer.

DA only (glock type). I like the consistency but one with a good DA/SA is good too.

I've been looking at the FN, PX4 and many others but most "try it before u buy it" stores around here only have a few popular guns in many calibers

I'm also looking for a smaller CCW carry handgun. Would a 9mm Kurz fit your requirements? I have been trying to locate one of these but they are in such high demand I can't seem to locate one. I will try a large gun show in Houston to see if I can locate one this weekend.

post-13534-12637707346643_thumb.jpg

post-13534-12637705523179_thumb.jpg

Good luck,

Yakdung

DA requirement puts me out of the game--I'm a Short & Portly (5'2"-5'6" depending on conditions, 180-220 depending on time of year and how I'm doing fighting the Bulge), and can carry a 5" 1911 just fine, although I also make sure I have a cover-garment. Maybe one of the Commander-length LDA's from Para?

JanusthePhoenix...I actually like the gun. Nicely balanced, recoil is nice. It is on the heavier side of compacts and its not much more compact than the regurar CZ75 just a few inches shorter. All steel, 14+1 rounds 9mm. What bothers me about it is that it ejects the brass into my face or down my shirt. I'd say 1 out of 5 rounds misses me. Gets extreemly irritating. That and the fact that there arnt a lot of holster options for a left handed CZ owner so I'm stuck with holsters that are made for other guns but kinda fit the CZ or the cheesy Unkle Mikes IWB, soft holster with a crapy plastic clip. The holster problem + the weight + the hot brass in the face = I end up leaving it at home most of the time. Otherwise a good and acurate shooter.

Edited by Arik

Paul...The P64 (along with PA63, CZ82) is on my list. Cheap, accurate, great back up or for when there is a formal occation and I need it to be invisible. The keltec I'll look into never even held one.

YWHIC....I know about the EZ9 from Zastava. Heard good things about it and it is one of the very few guns that are completly ambidextrious right out of the box, cheap too. But I also heard its built like a brick (thick and heavy). might be good for winter shoulder rig. I had the older PT145. Was a nice gun but I didnt care much for the trigger. Heard they got better.

Yakdung....(lol love the name) I'm cool with 380s. I have a Russian Mak in 9x18 (close enough to 380. Somewhere between a 9 and a 380). But the sig looks NIIICEE!!!

Funshootin1....They are closed on Mondays. I'll be in tommorrow to check them out. I was there on Friday dont remember seing the 23s but I was in there for ammo and didt stick around too long. Do you know if they take trades?

Datastick...Dude I went on Taurus site they have like a million models or at least a million variations of about 5 models...lol.

I'm also looking for a smaller CCW carry handgun. Would a 9mm Kurz fit your requirements? I have been trying to locate one of these but they are in such high demand I can't seem to locate one. I will try a large gun show in Houston to see if I can locate one this weekend.

Ton of them on Gunbroker

Ton of them on Gunbroker

I saw one at a local store today and played with it for a bit. First shot is SA only so you can carry it cocked and locked like a 911, pull the hammer back as you draw or chamber one when pulling the gun. The trigger felt nice and crisp (in single action dry fire). Overall the gun looks good. My only problem is that it is way to small for my hands. I tried to holster and draw it and I end up having to re-adjust it in my hands.

The keltec P11 had a similar problem, grip too short.

I did end up walking away with 1 gun and 1 on layaway. Traded in my CZ75 for a Glock 23 .40s&w. Nice gun, used but barely. Still had the original Glock orange grease. and for the layaway I took the Walther PPS (Police Pistol Slim)9mm. If this gun shoots as good as it looks and feels its definitely a keeper. Overall width is just a hair over an inch. 3.2in barrel and overall 6.3in. Comes with one single stack 7rnd mag and max available mag cap is 8. So its not a hi cap. This gun seems to be very light and concealable without sacrificing grip length or mag capacity (too much). I'll post pics when I bring it home.

Arik, Good deal. At least you got a chance to put your paws on one. I called McBride's in Austin Tx and they are flying out of the door. The gentleman I spoke with indicated that 20 P238's are on order for customers that have already paid for them. Glad you found something that works for you.

Good luck,

Yakdung

Edited by yakdung

Everybody always says semi auto......... I have several I like, but the OP excluded them from his criteria. However, I have a Taurus .357 2" barrel in titanium that is the ultimate in firepower and concealibility in my opinion. This is what I carry when it gets hot. 7 rounds of .357 magnum that you can drop in your pocket or use a small IWB. I have been carrying concealed for a long time and have tried alot of things, while not my favorite, it is another option.

Have you thought about Ruger LCR? Dead nuts reliability of a wheelgun that weighs 13.5 oz and shoots .38 +P and has a really smooth trigger pull. Might get one of those myself. They have been around now for about a year with no problems, you can pick one up without turning into a beta-tester for Ruger.

Have you thought about Ruger LCR? Dead nuts reliability of a wheelgun that weighs 13.5 oz and shoots .38 +P and has a really smooth trigger pull. Might get one of those myself. They have been around now for about a year with no problems, you can pick one up without turning into a beta-tester for Ruger.

They just announced at SHOT SHOW this will be out in .357 Magnum soon!

• 3 weeks later...

My criteria...

9mm - .45

Good luck,

Yakdung

I made an impulse buy the other day and purchased the 289 as a pocket gun for days when I don't feel like throwing on my holster. I found the one in Nitron finish w/ Rosewood grips at my local gunstore while they were haviing a 5% off sale. Got it for $597. Ammo is a bitch to find though. trying to get out to the range but this snow/ice...FFFFUUUUUU!

Edited by obake
  • 2 weeks later...

Sig p238 Nitron with Rosewood grips and shiity cell phone pics(obligatory foot pic included).

SSPX0107.jpg

test fired today. Buffalo Bore +p JHP and FMJ all feed flawlessly as well as 150 rds of Fiocci target FMJ rds. I appendix carried on my strong side inside waist band since I could not find a pocket holster. Forgot I had it on when I came home. Nice little shooter. 5 in groups at 15 yards. Everything was dead center at 10.

Edited by obake

My criteria...

9mm - .45

Good luck,

Yakdung

I made an impulse buy the other day and purchased the 238 as a pocket gun for days when I don't feel like throwing on my holster. I found the one in Nitron finish w/ Rosewood grips at my local gunstore while they were having a 5% off sale. Got it for $597. Ammo is a bitch to find though. trying to get out to the range but this snow/ice...FFFFUUUUUU!

edited since I bought the 238 not 289.......on a more pressing note, WTF happened to my avatar. she's gone!!!!

Edited by obake